Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Strict mode

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Do you use strict mode?

No
70%
Once
15%
A few times
15%
Often
No votes
More than unrestricted
No votes
All the time
No votes

Total votes: 53

Loxley
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Loxley »

Chrisfs wrote:
Strange, I first played Elite 20 years ago on an intel PC (I think a brand new 286), and it had hardened missles.
It may well have done. BBC elite certainly didn't, although to be fair it also didn't have cloaking devices, trumbles or the Nova mission. Since strict mode doesn't allow injectors or shield boosters hardheads would be a bit of a gamebreaker.
"There is still much music to be written in C major" Stravinsky
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Hardhead missiles can still be killed with ECM, so they would not be impossible to deal with in strict. They are perhaps more dangerous than they should be, but I dont think they would be a game breaker. In fact as far as I remember in a standard cobra 3 the guidance is so poor that you would be quite unlucky to be hit by one unless you are flying head to head with it.

I dont think they are in strict though, so I guess this is kind of redundant :)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Cmdr James wrote:
Hardhead missiles can still be killed with ECM, ....I dont think they are in strict though, so I guess this is kind of redundant :)
I am sure they are available to NPC. There is no check for strict mode when a random missile is selected. Only the player can't buy them.

This week I started for the first time a strict game to test a reported bug. Here I noticed there are more problems when switching between modes. When in strict, I still got error reports from oxp's and when starting the next day with a loaded normal game I got error reports of missing files. It was all fixed after closing Oolite and starting again.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Eric, no world scripts are loaded in strict mode, but maybe some oxp ships are still in the cache. Is that what happened?

About loading normal games from stict, was the player using an oxp ship?
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)