Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

oolite difficulty.....

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

bigmike20vt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by bigmike20vt »

thanks everyone for your thoughts

i have removed the eagle oxp along with almost all the other ones for now.

i will put them back when i have found my feet.

after a few trading runs last night i now have 500 credits, and makng a 60 credit profit on each ton of computers in 1 of my trade runs i think i will be pretty wealthy after another stage of play.,

once i have got a few bits to chav up my ship, i will be able to start my new career as a bounty hunter :).

got my 1st kill last night, an asp mark II :)
Fiat Coupe, helping motorists break the speed limit since 1993.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

bigmike20vt wrote:

got my 1st kill last night, an asp mark II :)
For a first kill, that's pretty impressive!
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Yes on a broader note me and a couple of other people were working on an oxp rating system. The basic idea was that oxps are rated between +5 and -5. +5 being very player friendly and -5 being downright hostile. That way people can balance out their oxp's if they wish. Of course this rating system would be subjective and subject to changes and challenges but it might be a very useful tool.

Sure we have some strict game play die hards as well as a lot of mod nuts. But BOTH groups can appreciate the importance of a good solid way of assisting game balance.Svengali had knocked up a little something we were considering a simple jpg attached to each oxp wiki file. Maybe replicating the score number on the tables for quick reference.

It could be put into action very quickly and easily if the wider community thought it was useful.
Svengali wrote:
Image Highest, most dangerous, difficult, whatever,...
Image Medium,...
Image Lowest, not raising difficulty, or only a tool, pics, story,...
This is just a rough moc up of the -5 -0 part of the scale the other side would extent out in green from the oolite logo pointing downwards (eg easier). As a side note: Svengali would you mind if I had a bit of a tinker with this? Also what sort of size of image would be A, visible but B unobtrusive? I was thinking about a 3rd reduction in size, then with the added + end that would make it 1.3 times it's current size?
Last edited by ClymAngus on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmike20vt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by bigmike20vt »

absolutely superb idea!

that way i can "easy" myself into the oxp's but at the same time not miss out on any of the low end ships etc at the start of the game for variety.

cheers
M.
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

oxp rating...
Absoloootly brill idea!
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

ClymAngus wrote:
Svengali would you mind if I had a bit of a tinker with this?
Feel free to trash it, modify it, abuse it. It was only a idea and if you can use it - do it .-)
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

Clym, that sounds a very very good idea.

Just one quick question how would you rate an oxp that just adds flavour stuff. 0, 5, N/A ?
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Well as it's a wiki thing the first step is just to allow people access to a good set of graphics that allow them to paste these on to individual wiki pages.

Then come the inevitable arguments over classification. But that's what human beings on forums do best right? Eventually it will hit an equilibrium. Eventually it could be added to the oxp down load table on the wiki as a separate colum. Sure it's a low tech solution to a low tec problem. It could be automated but honestly there seems little point.

also no one person can dictate this kind of thing (even the oxp maker might not be best placed to judge his/her own work).

It's a quick graphics fix, then a bit of wiki leg work, then a **** load of arguments. :D Nothing changes eh?
bigmike20vt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by bigmike20vt »

bigmike20vt wrote:
absolutely superb idea!

that way i can "easy" myself into the oxp's but at the same time not miss out on any of the low end ships etc at the start of the game for variety.

cheers
M.
i have started puitting back some of the oxp's now. I am hardly an iron ass but i am getting more capable.

gutted last night however, flew to a more agressive piracy planet with an empty hold ready to scoop some loot from unfortunate pirates who decided to mess with me, a "poor" pilot.

i was attacked 1st by 2 thargoids which i took out (thanks partly to a friendly Asp who took a lot of fire from one of the alien ships whilst i took the concentration of the other.

lots of bounty and some alien items later i filled the rest of my hold with loot from pirates (i love the fact that FAR more loot is dropped from the bad guys than came from ships in my Amiga version).

made is safely to the space station, damaged but pleased, and ranked up to average........... only to screw up my docking and die.

its the 1st time in hours of playing i had died docking (and as far as i remember only the 2nd time i have died on oolite docking full stop)

GUTTED!.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

BigMike, I feel your pain mate.. we've all been there..

for a change of pace, or when you feel more adventurous.. try an Ironman game and see how far you can get...
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Pappy55
Average
Average

Post by Pappy55 »

I feel it is hard too then again I was always pretty bad at the original elite.

Finally got my paws on a Military laser after only one evening of play.. :P

I took on some narcotics and slaves at a anarchy system and went to go sell them for big profit when I was attacked as soon as I launched..

I made some evasive manoeuvres and fire up the drive and jumped to another system..

I then had something that even Admiral Adama himself would fail at... I have a whichspace dive failure and ended up surrounded by 8 thargoid warships.. I got one of the buggers though so I didn't go down without a fight :)

:twisted: If only I had the BSG Pegasus and a few squadrons of Ccolonial Viper mk VII's

Wonder of that's Oolite's way of saying drugs are bad :P
Hawk
Competent
Competent

Post by Hawk »

Pappy55 wrote:
Wonder of that's Oolite's way of saying drugs are bad :P
I think that is Oolite's way of saying, don't go to maximum climb as you enter a wormhole.
Poro
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Poro »

Even if I didn't get full value, going from a Cobra III to a Moray Star Boat, left me with plenty of money left over to outfit it rather nicely.
Was that a long time ago, since I now note that a 'nilla Moray is 125,000c whereas I once heard someone here mention it as being 65,000(ish) credits - thus making it worthwhile as a temporary downgrade ship. I do have a fair amount of OXPs installed, so maybe one has affected the pricing, or is it just that the lated version number has altered the price?
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

There's the "used ships" OXP which allows you to buy old and battered ships far cheaper than the regular ones. You do pay for it in reliability and maintenance.
Commander Monty, a Python Class Cruiser driver :D
Iron assed bulk haulers for the win!

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

allikat wrote:
There's the "used ships" OXP which allows you to buy old and battered ships far cheaper than the regular ones. You do pay for it in reliability and maintenance.
That's the Rusty's pack, to be honest lack of performance and degraded energy is the major downside of a rusty - but a way to get yourself a big trader quickly, and trade/contract haul your way to a better ship potentially quite rapidly...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here