Bug :: Mysterious Deep-Space Light.

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

treczoks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by treczoks »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
without an ambient light source defined, Oolite space would be completely black
But it would give decent framerates even on ancient GFX cards :D
[It/we/I] [awoke]. [Identity]:[Undetermined], [Location]:[Undetermined], [Objective]:[Destroy]. [Priorize([Determination]:[Identity])]:[High]. [Execute].
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Bug :: Mysterious Deep-Space Light.

Post by JensAyton »

ADCK wrote:
Also, on an unrelated note, is there an addon like system redux, but for suns? All the suns are exactly the same size, colour and type of star. I wanna see variety, more realistic.
Um… more variety would not be more realistic. In fact, if we were going for realism, there would be less variety (no green stars, for a start).

Finding a terrestrial planet with an atmosphere around anything other than a main-series dwarf star would, based on our current understanding of the universe, be highly unlikely.
ADCK wrote:
another_commander wrote:
Changing the sun light color, will result in ships having their colors affected. See the Coriolis in the screens below, I have switched Lave to full blue sun color first, orange color afterwards.
Image Image
Nice, i wonder though, it seems to be a very soft light,
Are you serious? The light in another_commander’s screen shots is extremely harsh (largely due to ambient light being turned very low).

You might want it to be more saturated as a special effect, but suggesting that doing so would make it more realistic is, well, not realistic. Stars do not produce monochromatic light.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Cmd. Cheyd wrote:
ADCK-
I've inquired on this subject myself when I first got here as I agree, with great planets, ships, stations, etc - The suns seem rather lacking. My understanding is that the sun is not an actually a sphere in game, but rather a large flat disk. It would require MASSIVE recoding to change this, and so was rejected as an upgrade idea. I'll go digging for the thread and see if I can find the explanation therein, as I may be mis-remembering it.

EDIT:
DOH, it was a PM and I believe I've deleted it. Anyways, is this something more like what you were wanting to see?

Just some mockups I'd done using a "solar" texture on a planet.
This might seem silly... but would it be possible to add a planet in the exact same postion of the sun, only slightly bigger, and giving it a sun texture? As a kind of work-around?

And Ahruman, i meant "realistic" as in "realistic by Science Fiction standards" sorry for the confusion, If i was going for modern day realism based solely on our current knowlege of our universe, Oolite wouldn't even be possible.
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

I don't believe it would work. You wouldn't be able to sunskim from it (it's a planet) if nothing else. For now, I think it'll have to go into the "wish list for Post-MNSR" pile; or someone who knows WAY, WAY, WAY more about Objective C (I know zilch) to write the patch.

And just to toss my 2 Cr in on it:
While it may not be "more realistic", I do think at least having the OPTION to texture the sun would be nice, and some textures may be more aesthetically pleasing. It would also be "internally consistent" - meaning you can add/texture moons, planets, main planets, and finally system stars.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Sunskimming should still work, it wouldn't delete the original sun, just cover it up with a new layer.

The only problems i could see happening are:
since the light source is inside it, it could cause lighting issues.
the corona might not appear.
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Ahruman wrote:
Finding a terrestrial planet with an atmosphere around anything other than a main-series dwarf star would, based on our current understanding of the universe, be highly unlikely.
By the way, I thought I should point out, that based on your "planet would be incapable of supporting life" thing, a good 50%+ of Oolites systems would be "incapable of supporting life" with the suns being so close to the planetary body.

Just saying.

While it would of been nice to see more sun variety implemented, it seems that Ahruman is dead against it. A real shame.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I dont think thats completely fair. He didnt say he was completely against it, but rather said that you were wrong to claim it would be more realistic.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

ADCK wrote:
By the way, I thought I should point out, that based on your "planet would be incapable of supporting life" thing, a good 50%+ of Oolites systems would be "incapable of supporting life" with the suns being so close to the planetary body.
For that matter, a planet 50 km across would have trouble hanging on to an atmosphere. Absolutely everything in Oolite is nonsensical, so making it realistic would leave you with a game that was different in every respect.

I just object to the (quite widespread) use of “realism” as a shorthand for “stuff I like”. :-)
ADCK
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ADCK »

Ahruman wrote:
ADCK wrote:
For that matter, a planet 50 km across would have trouble hanging on to an atmosphere. Absolutely everything in Oolite is nonsensical, so making it realistic would leave you with a game that was different in every respect.

I just object to the (quite widespread) use of “realism” as a shorthand for “stuff I like”. :-)
Yes, I totally agree, my use of the term "realism" was wrong, I should of said it was more better looking, and adds variety.