Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Looking for Hacker outpost

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

allikat wrote:
Well, boy am I disappointed, I found my first hacker hideout.. I was looking to get a naval energy unit... all they had in stock was a cloaking device.. :lol: :shock:

Now you see me...
Hmmm. This is actually not supposed to happen. You've just been very lucky there.

You see, equipment can be repaired at on TL below its availability. So I gave the Hacker Outpost a TL one above the availability of a cloak, in order to make the cloak repairable by the Hackers (which it isn't anywhere else in the normal game).

Problem is, there is also a random component to the availability of equipment, which makes that sometimes an item is available at one TL below its usual treshold. Obviously your got lucky.

I'll look into it and find a way to prevent this (I already have an idea how to do it), because I am actually opposed to make the cloak buyable. I am of the conviction that you have to earn it, or not have it.
allikat
Deadly
Deadly

Post by allikat »

Well, seems I found a bug for you to squash :)
I'm only a few hundred kills away from heading to galaxy 3 to start the thargoid plans mission, then onwards and upwards to the cloak mission itself :)
Commander Monty, a Python Class Cruiser driver :D
Iron assed bulk haulers for the win!

Of the two trumbles which escaped today from Lave station, only 473 have been located....
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Looking for Hacker outpost

Post by JazHaz »

Chrisfs wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Chrisfs wrote:
right of Cevage (Scooby Doo's home planet....)
By the way, WHAT????
You missed the whole quote
the anarchy planet, Raoror in Galaxy 1 up from the Old Worlds, Right of Cevage (Scooby Doo's home planet....)
Raoror is Scooby Doo's home planet It's up from the Old Worlds and to the right of Cevage.
:lol:
It was funny when I was typing it at 1:30 am in any case.
I get the joke now, took me two months!! :shock: :lol:

Used Dizzy's search tool to refind this thread. :)

Found a Hackers Outpost today (in fact typing this whilst still docked there), and reminded me of this question that has been nagging at me for some time.

Once you have found your first HO (by defeating the Hacker Viper) and you have the H on your compass, should that ability (to find HO's) stay? It doesn't for me. I had to attack the Viper again today to find the Outpost again.
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

JazHaz wrote:
Once you have found your first HO (by defeating the Hacker Viper) and you have the H on your compass, should that ability (to find HO's) stay? It doesn't for me. I had to attack the Viper again today to find the Outpost again.
The Outpost stays "visible" as long as you stay in the system. If you jump out and in again (or save and reload) you have to find it again.

That is so for sake of script simplicity. I don't want to keep track of all Outposts you ever visited by storing them all in mission variables (that's the only way it could be done).
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Commander McLane wrote:
The Outpost stays "visible" as long as you stay in the system. If you jump out and in again (or save and reload) you have to find it again.

That is so for sake of script simplicity. I don't want to keep track of all Outposts you ever visited by storing them all in mission variables (that's the only way it could be done).
What about having a mission variable that gets set to true once you have defeated the viper, and to have the script test to see if it is set to true to enable any future outposts to be found? You wouldn't need to store all the outpost locations then, surely?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

JazHaz wrote:
What about having a mission variable that gets set to true once you have defeated the viper,
You see, here we have exactly the point. There is one viper for every system with a Hacker Outpost in it. Defeating it gives you the code for the Outpost in that specific system. Why would you expect it to have any effect on finding Outposts in different systems? The hackers are not a corporation, but completely independent of each other.

Therefore I would need one mission_variable for each system with a potential Hacker Outpost in it. Because if you've defeated the viper in Retila, it gives you the direction to the Hacker Outpost in Retila and nothing else. So I would have to store the fact that you know the directions to the Outpost in Retila. If you, later in your game, defeat the viper in Raoror, this fact would have to be stored independently of your success in Retila (both systems in Gal 1). And so on. I don't even know how many Anarchies with the necessary TL exist in the eight galaxies.

I didn't want that. What we could talk about is storing the information for the current system, so that the Outpost would be created again if you quit and reload the game. Problem is: the Outpost is created at a random location within the system, so there would be no guarantee that it would be recreated at the same place.

Thus I prefer to think that the hackers regularly change their codes, and therefore after a while your adcanced space compass doesn't receive their transmission any longer, or something of the like. If that is dissatisfying, please apply Bellisario's Maxim. And the MST3K Mantra, of course. :wink:
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Commander McLane wrote:
The hackers are not a corporation, but completely independent of each other.
Which prompts me to ask the question: why a Viper for every system?

Maybe a future version of the oxp could include a variety of hacker ships... ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Kaks wrote:
Maybe a future version of the oxp could include a variety of hacker ships... ;)
I am open to suggestions. (And submissions of suitable ships.) :)
Bernd1983
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Bernd1983 »

Unfortunately, I can not find a hacker Outpost. :cry:
Have the systems Quirin and Atorat in galaxy 2 follow.
Can someone help me please :?:
Do I need more besides the anarchy OXP?
I often met a Renegade Viper. Is that hacker Viper leading you to the hacker Outpost? Unfortunately always fired on me. No matter if my status was clean or offender. What I fired back until she begged me to stop shooting. What I followed her. Without success. Even further shooting on them brought no result. Except that it was destroyed sometime. :roll:

(Sorry for my bad English)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Duplicate post and resurrection of a 2010 thread at the same time. Sorry, I'll have to close this and your question can be answered on the Hacker Outpost thread.