Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Dominatrix

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Chaky
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Chaky »

Rxke wrote:
Wow, and a VERY nice HUD
Has a Privateer touch.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Cheers guys, the comments are very appreciated :-)
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Very nice indeed. Any chance the performance stats for this vessel can be posted as well?
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

most of the important stuff is in the press release, but the main figures are :
Cop :
Military + 2 Beam lasers
700 energy, recharge rate 7
top speed 0.4
8 missiles

Reaper :
3 military lasers
850 energy, recharge rate 7.5
top speed 0.4
8 missiles

Purgatori :
Beam laser + 2 military lasers
top speed 0.4
6 missiles

Standard Dominatrix :
3 beam lasers
600 energy, recharge rate 6
top speed 0.38
6 missiles

Civillian Purgatori :
top speed 0.4
6 missiles
cargo 15 tons

Civillian Dominatrix :
600 energy, recharge rate 6
top speed 0.38
6 missiles
cargo 20 tons.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Ok, so it is a bit of a monster combat vessel. Interesting to see how this stacks up against a Caddy.

Are the two price comparable?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Sendraks wrote:
Ok, so it is a bit of a monster combat vessel. Interesting to see how this stacks up against a Caddy.

Are the two price comparable?
I would guess that a NPC Dominatrix could beat a NPC Caddy because of the additional front lasers.

For a player ship, I would not want to change, as it sounds like it's missing side/rear lasers (no-go for a player ship).

Hmmm. Maybe we should have player ships with multiple front lasers, possibly the Dominatrix then would not even make me miss the side/rear lasers...

Screet
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

The bench mark I believe for offensive and combat capabilities is the Monk ship "cook off" test.

From first shot to death using standard "original game" missiles and lasers.

The caduceus stands at 1:10 for the omega and 2:05 for the alpha.

Although I'm doing some very nice things to the dragon at the moment that very well kick this into touch whilst retaining (at least to the casual observer) acceptable statistics.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

The cobra 3 is normally used as the benchmark for everything, because this is *the ship* in elite, and at least the start of oolite.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Cmdr James wrote:
The cobra 3 is normally used as the benchmark for everything, because this is *the ship* in elite, and at least the start of oolite.
Tabby cat vs lion; Which of these statements carries more weight, initially:

A) I slapped a tabby cat and survived.
B) I slapped a lion and survived.

Q.E.D.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Depends if you live in a world inhabited by cats or lions ;)

The cobra 3 is a sensible benchmark because everyone knows it. If you are going to compare with the toughest thing there is, then you will always get someone bringing out the OMGWTFBBomb or equivalent.

Perhaps its a terminology thing, I use benchmnark as a known point of comparison. You seem to use it as "current best" which are clearly not the same thing.
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Prices, Dominatrix is 650k, Purgatori variant is 850k, dunno how that stacks up w/ the Caddy?
I was trying to make her pretty fearsome but not too OTT. The Reapers are about as far as i'd like to go, killing ability-wise; the 3 military lasers are more than enough when coupled w/ a scanner jammer and cloaking, i'd say.
i've heard comments regarding no side/rear lasers before, as they were missing from the previous Vampires, but again, it's a way (in my mind) of trying to balance the ship's stats. To be honest, it's also a hold over from my BBC Elite days too - i NEVER had to use anything but front lasers, and it was just as well as i couldn't shoot for sht w/ the side or rears.

Edit : just as a development point, i did consider spoofing the wing guns for the player variant by using plasma turrets but it seemed unworkable and not worth it, given the PT stats.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Killer Wolf wrote:
Prices, Dominatrix is 650k, Purgatori variant is 850k, dunno how that stacks up w/ the Caddy?
1.2 mil but your paying for the plasma barrage. More for an omega, but with an Omega your paying of the sun guns.
Killer Wolf wrote:
I was trying to make her pretty fearsome but not too OTT. The Reapers are about as far as i'd like to go, killing ability-wise; the 3 military lasers are more than enough when coupled w/ a scanner jammer and cloaking, i'd say.
Hey, preaching to the converted mate. I still think you might catch some flack for it as I did for the Caddy. What can I say? It's always good to have a fellow soul walking in your shoes. Makes me feel that I did something right in the first place. I just make what I want to see in the game. I saw monk ships, I wanted to cook the ****ers. So I did. You wanted an ass kicking combat fighter, and by god you made it. Beleve me, I've got the pompoms out for this strike fighter. I just don't want to meet too many hostile ones if you know what I mean. :D
Killer Wolf wrote:
i've heard comments regarding no side/rear lasers before, as they were missing from the previous Vampires, but again, it's a way (in my mind) of trying to balance the ship's stats. To be honest, it's also a hold over from my BBC Elite days too - i NEVER had to use anything but front lasers, and it was just as well as i couldn't shoot for sht w/ the side or rears.
Like I said you made the ship you wanted to fly. The love or hate of others (although love is nice) is somewhat moot. To my mind this game is as much the making as it is the playing. A game for coders and through that code a game for everyone. The choice is all. A cornucopia of choice in fact, the wave of the future.
Killer Wolf wrote:
Edit : just as a development point, i did consider spoofing the wing guns for the player variant by using plasma turrets but it seemed unworkable and not worth it, given the PT stats.
Yeah, I thought about putting the plasmas on the diamond wing tips for the omega. It looked ugly. Also on the bright side at least fuel tubes won't blow the shit out of your ship. :D Like it does mine :cry: yeah, still working on that, the last BIG flaw.
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

Killer Wolf wrote:
For the stats, it is a little bit on the cheap side, this is an extremely tough ship. Not stupid fast, but extremely hardy and well armed. I'd bump the price up a little to near that of the Caddy.

The Caddy is bio-engineered, the Dominatrix represents a pinnacle of coventional engineering in a combat vessel. Same market, different approach.

Regardless, I'm not looking forward to meeting an angry one of these. 8)
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

crikey, i didn't realise prices of ships had crept up so much. might have to do some research into that to see what sensible price ranges are for different types of craft.

reading the boards, i'm surprised how much the other lasers are used by people now. i'm pretty sure, in Elite, that switching views left you w/ the same laser temp anyways so there was no advantage there. i can just about see the point of using rear lasers, if you quickly shift the XY toggle around, but as for side lasers....not a clue. the only thought i dithered w/ in other versions of the game was fitting a mining laser, as it's easier to line up and blat a rock as it drifts by. anything else like a combat vessel, forget about it.

Cheers for the comments ClymAngus. I've d/l'd the Caddy but not had a change to play around or see her in action yet. i understand what you mean about wanting to blat a particular type of ship that irks you, but OXPer just have to be careful that it doesn't get out of hand. My 3 lasers are perhaps pushing it, which is why the Reaper is theoretically Navy-only and the other multigunners are (hopefully) not something you'll come across too often. if you want some fun w/ them tho, try shooting a station, a few GalCop Doms should appear :-)
As for the plasma cannons, i think this really comes down to the size of the ship. i'm wondering if there should be a standard whereby they're a bit like lasers - only allow one per direction? i'm trying to think of something like a Flying Fortress here as opposed to an old galleon w/ a broadside of cannons.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Killer Wolf wrote:
crikey, i didn't realise prices of ships had crept up so much. might have to do some research into that to see what sensible price ranges are for different types of craft.
Since L is back on the board, you might want to ask him about the formula he is using for auto-pricing based on ships stats - maybe it gives you some helpful idea even if you don't want to use that formula yourself.
Killer Wolf wrote:
reading the boards, i'm surprised how much the other lasers are used by people now. i'm pretty sure, in Elite, that switching views left you w/ the same laser temp anyways so there was no advantage there. i can just about see the point of using rear lasers, if you quickly shift the XY toggle around, but as for side lasers....not a clue. the only thought i dithered w/ in other versions of the game was fitting a mining laser, as it's easier to line up and blat a rock as it drifts by. anything else like a combat vessel, forget about it.
The main reason is that some missions and special ships do require the player to use rotation to shoot their targets and it often looks like two lasers alone would not be enough.

As to the usage of side lasers: It is possible to shoot asps and such with them! It takes a bit of training, but basically it's the same thing required to learn as it's done for the rear laser. Human brains really can adapt, it's just important not to give up after the first failures (as these surely will happen). For me, the Caduceus was good in teaching me that, as it sometimes is important to shoot a ship with a laser before turrets (side mounted) become active - and then it often helps to keep firing with those side lasers. Thus I did not give up and continue to try - until my brain somehow managed to do it pretty well ;)

Screet