New Boarder seeks Guidance (general and OXPs)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Obsidian
Competent
Competent

Post by Obsidian »

Pangloss:
Those diagrams are a pleasant hoot! And I know how to scoop, thank you. :roll: My complaint was the time it takes to do it, which when you think about it, is a far more difficult problem to solve since I'd have to write an OXP for my compulsive brain. :)

About the forced misjump, thanks. Also found it when I did a search of the board, but I probably will pass on using it --- takes a little of the surprise out of the game. BUT finding yourself suddenly in the middle of nowhere does segue (I HATE that word, but alas I am using it) neatly into the slightly embarassing story that shows why oolite is so great.

Okay, so I install "interstellar help" but pretty much forget about. I'm pulling multiple, high-priced cargo contracts that are risking half my credits and I've been sun-skimming my way to the first stop --- no saves! I pop out into the eerie middle of nowhere, which remains a jarring experience that leaves you thinking, "oh crap!" The comm message immediately comes up with a ship requesting fuel and I think, "Whew, that's all," relieved that all my witch-fuel isn't spilling away; I'm thinking, "Let me help this guy!" I then notice that there are multiple blips on the radar --- Thargoids! --- and I'm suddenly thinking, "If I'm lucky they will go after him." Remember, I haven't been out of witchspace more than a second and I've already betrayed this poor lost traveller; I'm feeling guilty. Hahaha. What other games do that? So I make a run for it, trying to protect my cargo from Thargoid destruction and two or three of the four Thargoids chase me. Now I blow up one of them and the odds are looking better, so my conscience gets the better of me (and the prospect of collecting dead thargons for sale) and I head back, fight desperately against the full complement of two Thargoids, thinking, "Hell, I've screwed up now," because I'm in no shape to take on that last Thargoid. The Python that had asked for my help must have blown up the last Thargoid battleship,with a missile probably, because the remaining thargons went dead, but the poor guy didn't make it. AND I FELT BAD ABOUT IT.

Gotta love oolite.