Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite Linux - Trunk nightly builds

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by caracal »

Getafix wrote:
@caracal
64bit nightly package! That's really good news. Great news I would dare to say! 8)
Eh, I hope so. Oolite has certainly given me hours of enjoyment, it's only right that I be able to give a little something back.
Getafix wrote:
Now I am going to scare you out of this idea. :wink: :twisted:
:lol: I don't scare easy, although the phrase "can't be arsed" is prominent in my vocabulary. Anyway, let's see ...
Getafix wrote:
In order to provide 64bit nightlies, you should have a machine that meets the following requirements:
  1. The machine should be turned on 24/7.
  2. A web server should be setup in order for people to download the binaries.
  3. The following libraries should be build and installed on the machine:
    This is necessary since for nightlies we want an environment to debug oolite and not each distro's libraries.
    • gnustep-1.18 (stable)
I was with you right up to this point. As I mentioned elsewhere, I was able to build trunk with the broken 1.19.3. After some investigation, and after reading your reply to that post, I went in search of 1.18.

What a tangled mess that GNUstep website is! At least for someone in search of a specific legacy version. I even searched with Google for 1.18, finding only some old Mandrake RPMs and suchlike. I read in Micha's post that the GNUstep trunk was fixed, so I followed the tortuous instructions for getting and building that. It's not the worst open-source package I've ever built, but it's in the top 20 for annoyance factor. But I've been doing this a long time, and after a bit of wrestling I got it built. Unfortunately, oolite won't build with that version! And anyway, as you point out, better to use a stable version of your dependencies so you can focus on your own development.

So I'd love to have 1.18, and no doubt can build it, if you can just tell me where to find it. As to the rest of your scary stuff ...
Getafix wrote:
    • espeak-1.43.03 EDIT: Built to use PulseAudio and not PortAudio.
Hmm, the stock Debian squeeze libespeak1 package is 1.43 (no mention of .03), but it is indeed built with PortAudio instead of PulseAudio. Since nothing but oolite depends on it, I assume I can get the source and rebuild it to use PulseAudio instead. Still in feasible territory.
Getafix wrote:
    • SDL-1.2.14 (stable)
    • SDL_mixer-1.2.11
Similar story as espeak: stock squeeze libsdl-mixer1.2 is 1.2.8, so I'd have to build 1.2.11 from source. Again, no impact on my existing dependencies.
Getafix wrote:
    • libpng-1.4.1
    (I can provide simple instructions on the process as well as the source in case you cannot find these exact versions.)
This might be more of an issue, since a lot of stuff on my system already depends on libpng 1.2.43. This might require a VM, or a separate machine. What distro is the 32-bit nightly built on? Cuz it obviously isn't Debian. 8)
Getafix wrote:
  • 4. The machine must be PulseAudio ready. (If the current nightly package has an operational "Spoken Messages" option, then you are PulseAudio ready)
Hmm ... the nightly that I built (with the broken libgnustep 1.19.3) indeed does have a working "Spoken Messages" option. I even tried it for about two minutes before I got sick of it and turned it off. :) But as I mentioned above, my espeak is built against PortAudio. However, if the nightlies want PulseAudio, then that's what they shall have.
Getafix wrote:
  • 5. The nightlies across O/Ss are currently synchronized to the MAC nightly revision. In order to do this you will be needing:
    1. Which revision to build. (I can send you a URL to use with wget)
    2. To provide me with some info to build the page (e.g. status, date, build stdout, build stderr etc.). I can provide you with more details on that too.
Administrivia that can no doubt be handled.
Getafix wrote:
If you are in ...
Oh, I'm in all right. By now I've spent enough time on this to become interested, and I never let mere software defeat me. :twisted: Even if I have to reload another machine with the correct dependencies.
Getafix wrote:
... we can initiate a wave (i.e. google) to give you instructions.
Oh goodie, one of the zillion Internet communication forms I haven't tried yet.
Getafix wrote:
I just had an 80's games flashback... "Who Dares Wins"!
Heh, I was, um, otherwise occupied during the 80s, so didn't do much gaming, but am familiar with that phrase as the SAS motto. Those boys are some badasses for sure.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Getafix wrote:
A web server should be setup in order for people to download the binaries.(terrastorage will host the web page but it will point to your machine for binary download)
I’ll be able to host on nightly.oolite.org at some unspecified point in the summer. Right now, space is short, but it’s slated to grow a bit.
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by caracal »

Ahruman wrote:
I’ll be able to host on nightly.oolite.org at some unspecified point in the summer. Right now, space is short, but it’s slated to grow a bit.
That's great, thanks Ahruman! My issue isn't storage space but bandwidth: My link is only 512kbps, so it takes me upwards of 5 minutes to download (and presumably to upload) the current 32-bit autopackage. (And I assume the 64-bit version will be somewhat bigger.) Which is 5 minutes I can't spend blasting things to atoms! :evil:
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

@caracal
I will provide you with all the sources and instructions (it's really simple) to build the necessary libraries.

If eSpeak/PulseAudio is needed to be used by another application, it will work as a charm.

For libpng14 do not worry since it's installation will not affect the existing libpng12. 8)

Tonight I will start a wave and e-mail you the instructions and a link on my server from where you will get all necessary sources.

Cheers!
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
caracal
Deadly
Deadly

Post by caracal »

Getafix wrote:
@caracal
I will provide you with all the sources and instructions (it's really simple) to build the necessary libraries.
Got your email, will be reading the Wave and exploring the process as soon as I've had some brekkie. :)
Getafix wrote:
If eSpeak/PulseAudio is needed to be used by another application, it will work as a charm.

For libpng14 do not worry since it's installation will not affect the existing libpng12. 8)
Yeah, this is obvious. I guess I got in a mode where I was thinking of replacing packages, not supplementing them with additional versions. Just a brain fart, ignore me. :oops:

And thanks for taking the time to do this, Getafix. To me, this means I get to play with the latest code and all its new features. If it also means that others get access to an installable 64-bit build of it, well that's just gravy.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Post by Getafix »

Last nightly package (r3535) is broken.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

...and has just been fixed.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

As of today (r3583) the nightlies are packaged in a .tgz tarball,
including instructions on how to install and some information on
which paths are used, as well as how to uninstall.
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Oolite Linux - Trunk nightly builds

Post by Getafix »

As of today (r3597) the Linux nightly has enabled the
native Objective-C exception support (i.e. @try/@catch/@finally).
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Trunk nightly builds

Post by Getafix »

As of today (r3661) 64bit Linux nightly builds are available at
http://terrastorage.ath.cx/oolite/status_AMD64.html

The 64bit Linux nightlies are courtesy of caracal.
Thank you, man! 8)
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Oolite Linux - Trunk nightly builds

Post by Getafix »

As of r4042 the Linux nightly build breakage has been fixed.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

That's a lot of revisions in 5 months! Wow! 8)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Well, TOWNMNBS has made an outstanding come back! :shock:

Just to clarify, though, that the 64bit Linux nightly is still inactive. :(
Caracal's server is still out of reach and I haven't managed to find
time to setup a 64bit nightly build on the new nightly server, still standing
turned-off :cry: waiting for an RL time slot.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Getafix wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
Well, TOWNMNBS has made an outstanding come back! :shock:
Don’t get too used to it, I went back to jbex today. :-)
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Getafix »

I'm used to good things don't last forever. :P