Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Scooping?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

zevans wrote:
CptnEcho wrote:
Galactic Navy Stations will pay 80+ credits for Thargoid fighter craft.
...which never made sense to me. Surely they of anyone already have an adequate supply of this particular doohickey?
Never hurts to have more recent models. That way they can monitor any improvements to the original versions and I'm sure that those boffins in the lab can be a bit destructive when it comes to testing the tolerances of the Thargons:

"How many directs hits from a Military Laser would it take to destroy a Thargon?"
ZAAAPPP!
"Ah, I see. Obviously the Thargoids have not yet improved their armour and shielding to reduce the effectiveness of the standardly-available Military Laser. Jolly good. New Thargons, please!"

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

Well said. :)
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

This topic reminded me of something I started a while back: Scoop Positions.oxp

This oxp adds scoop positions to all internal Oolite ships. No editing of shipdata is required, just drop this oxp in your addOns folder.

In addition it also adds those positions for: Super Cobra, Imperial Courier, Caduceus and the Neo Caduceus

Defining a scoop position was already possible since Oolite 1.65 but I am not aware if there was ever a ship released with these definitions.

For some flat ships like a cobra, the difference might be small, but for a bigger ship like a boa the difference is clearly noticeable. Scooping up has more often immediate success.

This oxp will only work with Oolite 1.72 and 1.73. Not with newer and not with older versions. For 1.74 I assume for 1.74 positions will be added to the ship definitions itself when this oxp is appreciated.

Eric :wink:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Eric Walch wrote:
Thanks for that! :D Will stante pede go and see what it does for my IC.

EDIT: Done. Sadly the first thing it did is nothing. @ Eric: There is a superfluous "v" right after the "caduceus-alpha-player" entry, which makes the plist invalid.

EDIT 2: Done that as well. Sadly it still does nothing. Turns out that it only contains an entry for the first revision of the Imperial Courier (icour-player). But the Imperial Courier v 2 is called "impcourier-player". So I still have to figure out the scoop position all by myself.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
EDIT: Done. Sadly the first thing it did is nothing. @ Eric: There is a superfluous "v" right after the "caduceus-alpha-player" entry, which makes the plist invalid.

EDIT 2: Done that as well. Sadly it still does nothing. Turns out that it only contains an entry for the first revision of the Imperial Courier (icour-player). But the Imperial Courier v 2 is called "impcourier-player". So I still have to figure out the scoop position all by myself.
Probably I never realised my one was not the newest. Both things fixed and re-uploaded.

And I also moved it 2 meters forward as you suggested. When scooping at low speed you now see it disappear near the painted circle on the bottom in external views.