More details in this thread.

David Braben talk

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Did he do that for real? That was some pretty nifty docking if he did!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Well if anyone can......

Hmm, I might post the maps when their done via DVD. After I've removed all the oolite related links. That way both makers get a pressy and we retain our anonymity just in case.
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Did he do that for real? That was some pretty nifty docking if he did!
Yes he did, but he 'cheated' for docking - flew straight out of the station, killed speed, flipped over, and docked. Anyone can do it when lined up like that. The tricky bit was always getting lined up properly...
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

You know, every time I see a screenshot like this I have a compelling urge to delete all the OXPs...
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Just flick to strict mode and wireframe graphics until it passes...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

You should probably wait for the (hopefully) fixed strict mode in 1.74...
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

i used to dock at full speed in Beeb Elite. seemed easy enough after you'd been playing for a year or two :-D

does anyone know if he's aware of Oolite, or the still solid fanbase the game's got? i'm totally apathetic about E4 now to be honest, after the literally years of slippages and non-appearances and empty promises ~ it's gonna have to be one fk-off impressive game to live up to the expectation i think.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Killer Wolf wrote:
i used to dock at full speed in Beeb Elite. seemed easy enough after you'd been playing for a year or two :-D

does anyone know if he's aware of Oolite, or the still solid fanbase the game's got? i'm totally apathetic about E4 now to be honest, after the literally years of slippages and non-appearances and empty promises ~ it's gonna have to be one fk-off impressive game to live up to the expectation i think.
You see this is the problem I've been wrestling with. Whilst it would be good to have the support (and also to share the effort with the original makers) you also have to weight the "look at us" against the possibility of the "oh that's interesting. STOP NOW!"

It's a risk, chances are they would be happy. If no. You and you alone are responsible for opening pandora's box. Admittedly it is a worst case scenario, but it is still a possibility well within the remit if the original copyright holders.

Technically the two games are radically different and I accept that, but lets be honest here, if a really nasty cease and desist popped up, I would be very surprised if this board and oolite in general DIDN'T fold like a pack of cards.

Although I would be willing to set up a direct debit to mount a legal challenge. (just a small one mind you).
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

i agree with you clymangus

tho i'm not sure about the you alone bit- thats a bit ott, no?
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

i think if Elite was on general release and there was the potential for us taking earnings for lost sales we'd have heard by now. asit is, i think we're safe, and to be honest i think he might be a little amazed at how hardcore and loyal the fans of the game are. the last bits of stuff i read on E4 included stuff like being able to leave the ship and wandering spacestations etc, so i don't think we'll have much bother from this fan game affecting E4 sales...whenever that might be.

some of my fave games are the Delta Force series, andthey come w/ mission editors etc. it would be great if E4 includes something like this - it'd be awesome to be able to convert our ships etc and have them appear in the real game engine.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

phonebook wrote:
i agree with you clymangus

tho i'm not sure about the you alone bit- thats a bit ott, no?
Well, it was getting the point across and it was meant generally. Whom ever, did so, if there was a bad reaction would shoulder the responsibility. Not that anyone would be coming round their house or anything with axes and plastic bags, but that's a lot of guilt for any creative or casual game player to take.

Unless your the vindictive type of course but they're all playing EVE. :D

So yeah I didn't mean <pointy finger> "OH KILLER WOLF woe unto theee!"
It was meant in the more universal "you". If you know what I mean.

Hence the reason if I do decide to send the maps on DVD they will be going "stealthy" format and will be burned from an old machine that's never hooked up to the net. :)
Micha
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Micha »

Killer Wolf wrote:
and to be honest i think he might be a little amazed at how hardcore and loyal the fans of the game are.
He seemed a little amazed by the number of people (about 90%) that put their hands up when the audience was asked who played the original 8-bit Elite.
The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

this place isnt a secret, if i found it, i'm sure anyone searching for elite will as well

no, where i agree with you clymangus, isnt that the someone who says the say will bring doom and gloom to us all,

what worries me, is that this game you/we/all of us are creating, playing etc, will be told to sod off at some point

actually you can probably take this a step further- anyone with a keen interest in elite will know about oolite, and the fact that it hasnt been shouted from the rooftops already must give one pause for thought, and perhaps concern
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

The Wise Commander
Even in Summer, Clean
Flies under the Radar.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

El Viejo wrote:
The Wise Commander
Even in Summer, Clean
Flies under the Radar.
A fan of haiku? :shock: :D 8)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here