White flashers

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

ovvldc wrote:
Now, don't be coy, DaddyHoggy.
No, no, seriously - happy to have contributed but I didn't come up with YAH - at best 15% of the ads are mine (inc. new stuff for Trade-station constores), it's Doc and Ark that deserve the praise for that - I'm very pleased with my contributions to the forthcoming LH2 - but still - a tiny fraction of Svengali's stupendous amount of work.

I let others cook, I just add a little salt and pepper for flavouring!
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Chaky
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Chaky »

TOPIC, PEOPLE! :evil:

I'll copy-paste my unanswered Q, since it got burried under chitchat.
I tried to make them glow (not flash) at their peak, but I'm confused here. If I set offset to 0.5 (which is supposed to be peak of sine), I get half-a-glow. Same for practically any value, while a flashing flashers are clearly brighter than non-flashing ones. (Offset is supposed to be brightness control for always-on-flashers, right?)

I'm talking about regular flashers. I still haven't tested this new flasher technique.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Chaky wrote:
TOPIC, PEOPLE! :evil:
Hey, relax, after all this is the world-renowned friendliest we-derail-every-topic-you-serve-us™ board this side of Riedquat—nah, what do I say—of Oresrati! :wink:
... (Offset is supposed to be brightness control for always-on-flashers, right?)
I don't follow you here. Where do you have this particular bit of information from? Never heard about it (at least not that I remember).

All I can say is that the offset for blinking flashers works differently from what everybody with a common sense in mathematics would expect. I explained that lengthily somewhere a while back, and Ahruman's answer was basically that he won't change in order to not break backwards compatibility. That's all I know about the beasts.
Chaky
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Chaky »

Commander McLane wrote:
Hey, relax, after all this is the world-renowned friendliest we-derail-every-topic-you-serve-us™ board this side of Riedquat—nah, what do I say—of Oresrati! :wink:
I noticed. :lol:
Commander McLane wrote:
Chaky wrote:
... (Offset is supposed to be brightness control for always-on-flashers, right?)
I don't follow you here. Where do you have this particular bit of information from?
That's not an information, but an assumption... and a question.

I assumed that, if offset is 0, flashers will not be lit (actually, I had to set the offset to other than 0 to get lit flashers for some reason.. probably forgot to convert commas into dots with copy-pasted floating point position coordinates), and the intensity of the light would follow the sine offset. Clearly, that is not a case. Any offset gives the same half-dimmed flasher.

Edit: .. and I got white flashers!
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

One thing you could do is to set the flasher's speed pretty high, so you might only notice an occasional flicker!

You should now be able to see flashers to 2 different brightness. To add variety I would also change the size of various flasher's coronas!

But extending flashers the way you describe is quite an interesting idea, with the added bonus that it might not be too difficult to do!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

As a special case, from 1.74, if frequency is 0 phase will be ignored and flashers will always be at full intensity. (Reduced intensity is possible by setting a less bright colour, down to 50% in the HSV model.)