Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

What version of Mac OS X do you use? (redux)

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

What version of Mac OS X do you use?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:10 pm

13%
10.3.9, intend to upgrade to Intel-based Mac with 10.6
No votes
10.4.x
13%
10.4.x, intend to upgrade to 10.6
4%
17%
10.5, intend to upgrade to 10.6
52%
I’m already using 10.6
No votes

Total votes: 23

Zbond-Zbond
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zbond-Zbond »

10.5 is DEFINITELY worth the upgrade
... ... but not if you have any files created using earlier MacDraw from AppleWorks, or even ClarisWorks: none of these files can be opened using the iWorks downgrade!

But if you haven't yet disposed of your earlier hardware/software, just refuse to let the next owner have the software that goes with the computer. It won't work then, of course, but you can just laugh at the poor fool who trusted Apple to read earlier Apple files. Just like Apple laugh at their customers.

They won't sell you a program that opens previously saved files, and won't open them for you, either. HaHa! Then you might be able to save them in another format and continue using your resource material :-D sir, or read material submitted to you in the earlier format (i.e. up to 10.4).

Never mind. There are always second-hand shops..
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Cmdr James wrote:
3.11, 95, 98, NT 3.51, NT 4.0, 2000, XP, Vista, 7
surely: 3.0, 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, NT 3.51, ME, NT 4.0, 2000, XP, Vista, 7

Although I think ME is an OS that even M$ would like to forget about (soon to be followed by Vista I'd imagine!)
I always thought 2000 was the OS they would like to forget about, and ME was way better than it?!? :?:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

After casually strolling about Apple's website it struck me also that Snow Leopard seems to be a minor upgrade, by no means as groundbreaking as Leopard was. So it seems just adding a qualifier sort of reflects the facts.

And as far as running out of cats is concerned: There still is one left which they probably haven't even considered yet. Should be 1.9. :wink:
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Commander McLane wrote:
I always thought 2000 was the OS they would like to forget about, and ME was way better than it?!? :?:
No, WindowsME was the material hell is made of. Windows 2000 was the first Really Good Windows version (or at least that's what I thought).
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

another_commander wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
No, WindowsME was the material hell is made of. Windows 2000 was the first Really Good Windows version (or at least that's what I thought).
I see. It's just that ME seemed to run okay on my wife's laptop (well, "okay", if you consider that at the end of the day it's still Windows :wink: ). While 2000 was what back in the days everybody was warning us against.

But I really am no expert on Windows. My computer history was C64 -> ST -> Mac.
Last edited by Commander McLane on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Wndows 98 SE was best.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

El Viejo wrote:
Wndows 98 SE was best.
I'm still a big fan of Windows 98SE and I still have a desktop (my daughter's) and a laptop with this OS installed. Once I got a reliable universal USB device driver working for it then it made the old PII-300 into a very useful machine (right up to the point the Edimax Wireless Network USB killed it off completely (the OS not the laptop - which still boots fine under other OS installed - Ubuntu)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Anyway, we're in the Mac-Forum here. So hush-hush to all Windows versions. Go and play in your own playground! :wink:

We wouldn't want to forget my other post, would we? :)

Here is the important part of its content again:

And as far as running out of cats is concerned: There still is one left which they probably haven't even considered yet. Should become 1.9. :wink:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Point taken, Commander Mclane, but isn't that what MS has always done: played in Apple's playground.

I like the idea of the Trumble Dealer as the face of 1.9.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Although I don't have a Mac I would like to see the spread of OSes but I don't want to add an unnecessary vote. Could somebody add a 'just curious' to the poll so I can see the results?!
Selezen wrote:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Perhaps when Apple starts to reintroduce the features so many users say they love (like backwards compatibility with previous versions of their own apps!) they could call their OS 'Sabretooth'? :wink:
Selezen wrote:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

DaddyHoggy wrote:
Although I don't have a Mac I would like to see the spread of OSes but I don't want to add an unnecessary vote. Could somebody add a 'just curious' to the poll so I can see the results?!
Just out of curiosity: Why don't you just click on the handy "View Results" link just beneath the "submit" button? :wink:
DaddyHoggy

Post by DaddyHoggy »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Because I've never noticed that link before until you've just pointed it out... :roll: :oops:
Selezen wrote:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
After casually strolling about Apple's website it struck me also that Snow Leopard seems to be a minor upgrade, by no means as groundbreaking as Leopard was. So it seems just adding a qualifier sort of reflects the facts.
Snow Leopard is a huge upgrade, but the changes mostly affect programmers directly (if you don’t count “everything being faster” as a feature). This means that new versions of software will be Snow Leopard only in a relatively near future. Not Oolite, though. I am considering dropping 10.3.9 support; I’m curious as to who’s still using it, and why.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Ahruman wrote:
This means that new versions of software will be Snow Leopard only in a relatively near future.
Incidentally, it’s easy to interpret this as laziness, but it isn’t; targeting only newer systems means being able to implement more features better in less time, which means better software for users.