Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How do tou call a commander...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

The jist: I was thanking him for using my ship design and apologising for the poor quality of my Italian.

I find this site very useful in accommodating the local dialects of our international brethren:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

Lack of effort is an easily curable symptom of the English disease after all:
"LE BACON AND EGGS SIV OOT PLATE!" :lol:
Last edited by ClymAngus on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I used to use babelfish.. then I found ImTranslator.. 43 languages as opposed to just 12 for BF.. 8) :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

What about Swahili? Or would I be safe(ly incomprehensible) with that? :wink:

EDIT: Short browse to both babelfish and ImTranslator reveals: Zote mbili hazina lugha ya Kiswahili kwenye orodha zao. Kwa hiyo nadhani hakuna huku ambaye angeweza kufahamu na kutafsiri sentensi hii. Kama nimekosea, na wewe uko, basi unitumie PM! :D
saint
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by saint »

I will post the screenshots as soon as I can, but my wife has to fix something in gianoziaorientale.org

One thing about my signature: B.D.C. means "Botta Di Culo" a not-so-polite (ahem...) phrase used to state that something is happening out of sheer luck (It'not the best thing to say to some coworker's code...).
Last edited by saint on Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cmdr. Saint, Golden Gladstone with 4 leaves Clovers of the Most Noble Order or The B.D.c.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Commander McLane wrote:
But Saint does not come from Swaziland! You post to confuse and bamboozle sir! :lol:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

ClymAngus wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
But Saint does not come from Swaziland! You post to confuse and bamboozle sir! :lol:
And you, sir, should perhaps do a little refresher course in geography. Swahili is spoken in Swaziland as much as Ingush in England. :wink: (And I am really proud that I found this pun! :D )
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Commander McLane wrote:
ClymAngus wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
And you, sir, should perhaps do a little refresher course in geography. Swahili is spoken in Swaziland as much as Ingush in England. :wink: (And I am really proud that I found this pun! :D )
but ha ha! You fell into my trap! In your rush to uncover ignorance in all it's forms, the truth of my statement still holds true! (However irrelevant). I have bamboozled the bamboozler thought the medium of the African subcontinent. I must bring this up as an amusing quip at the very next meeting of the Steampunk club of which I frequent! :D

(sure, off topic but FUN!)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Well, if it makes you (and your fellow companions) happy to provide true but irrelevant statements, I am delighted to have provided you with another opportunity to do so.

Always at your disposition. 8)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

this guy is still the master :D
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Just by the way: I had not the slightest idea that "bamboozle" is actually a word and what it means (remember: I am not from the UK), until Griff posted that picture, and I copied it to my desktop and saw how the file was named. Then it was just one quick click to wikipedia.

So, I'm counted as a teletext quizshow host? Hmm. If I now only knew whether this is a favourable comparison, and to whom... :?:
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Wow, that's some cool detective skills C_M, i wasn't sure anyone was going to be able to work out who he was, he looks like some old Sinclair Spectrum loading screen graphic of Walter Matthau.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Hey, Bamber Boozler is cool, leave him alone! ;)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Griff wrote:
Wow, that's some cool detective skills C_M, i wasn't sure anyone was going to be able to work out who he was, he looks like some old Sinclair Spectrum loading screen graphic of Walter Matthau.
I'm a super detective, too. I right clicked the image, selected Properties and got the filename. From there it was easy sailing.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

another_commander wrote:
Griff wrote:
I'm a super detective, too. I right clicked the image, selected Properties and got the filename. From there it was easy sailing.
Pah! You right-click windoze users, you! 8)

But @Griff: Indeed, my first thought actually was "what on Earth has Walter Matthau to do with this thread???" :D
zevans
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm

Post by zevans »

Wow. I never noticed the Walter Mattau / Bamboozle thing before. Has anyone ever seen them in the same room at the same time?

I'm not sure Google's idea of Swahili is entirely correct... definite lack of exclamation marks there!