Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite in French

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

'Corporate State' could cover quite a number of different types of govenment from the relatively begin to the sinister, but in all corporate states the Govenment and a Corporation are one and the same. Company rules and procedures are the Criminal Law of the state. The Company in the Aliens Trilogy for example or it could be on the face of it concerned about it's employees, but with all inhabitants of the planet employed by the company, living in company houses, children attending company schools and so. Kinda like a MicroSoft Gates World! :wink: or it could be downright nasty as in Total Recall. I'd see it as differing from a dictatorship though in that power in employment and political power are combined. Although the President could not be thrown out in an election, he/she could we'll be deposed by a boardroom vote. Any person might rise in the corportation on ability or it might be in effect hereditory if employees of the company had to pay different amounts for different services (upon which the Corporation has a planet wide monopoly on everthing) so only the children of those already high in the company could purchase the best education / brain implants etc to progress.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Poovga
Competent
Competent

Corporate State

Post by Poovga »

Thanks Commanders!

I translated by something meaning "Enterprise state" so, from your posts, I was not out of the range. However, I'll try to find a better word.

Thanks again
Poovga
Travelling is a dream, dreaming is a travel
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Ca va, Poovga.

concur with "Entreprise d'État",
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Excellent work Poovga! :D 8)

Now all we need is a link to where it can be downloaded from... then it can be added to the list of translations on the Oolite Wiki.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Poovga
Competent
Competent

Oolite_FR

Post by Poovga »

Diziet Sma,

I added a link on the OXP Wiki (Oolite en français) under the previous translations.

Could you please tell me if the link and the download are ok?

By the way, I added a lisezmoi.txt (readme) explaining how install the OXP.
I wonder if the installation path (oolite.app/resources/config) and the Shift-Run trick are the same on MacOS?

Thanks
Poovga
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Well, the link appears to take me to a web-storage site that (I think) wants me to sign up if I click the first button.. and gives me a 404 error (not found error) if I click the second button. Sorry, my French is worse than rusty, and the translation tools I have don't help much either...
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Poovga
Competent
Competent

New location

Post by Poovga »

Hello,

I stupidly stored the file on a site where I am registred... so my test was OK.

I put the zip file on box.net so it should be easier for you to practise your French ;) The wiki page is updated.

Thanks
Poovga
Poovga
Competent
Competent

Re: Oolite in French

Post by Poovga »

Hi Commanders,

I finally found the time and energy to go through description.plist and equipment.plist.
So both files are now in French according to the version 1.77.
However, I am not able to save them in .plist format (there are in .txt)
Can anybody give me some clues? I am not a developer so any technical information should be idiotproof :)

Thanks,
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Poovga wrote:
Hi Commanders,

I finally found the time and energy to go through description.plist and equipment.plist.
So both files are now in French according to the version 1.77.
However, I am not able to save them in .plist format (there are in .txt)
Can anybody give me some clues? I am not a developer so any technical information should be idiotproof :)

Thanks,
You should be able to just change the file's extension from .txt to .plist and it should work, assuming you changed only the strings requiring translation and nothing else.

Also note that just descriptions.plist and equipment.plist are not enough for full localization. You will need to translate to French the following files too:
hud.plist
hud-small.plist
missiontext.plist
shipdata-overrides.plist
Poovga
Competent
Competent

Post by Poovga »

Hi another_commander

I tried to be lazy, hoping updating description.plist would be enough for the 1.77:)
Well... I go on with all the files.

I tried to rename the extension but windows still read the file as a .txt and not as a .plist
This issue is postponed until the translation is over :)

Thanks
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Just a thought but as you are using Windows, are you using Notepad to do your editing? Notepad breaks things in Oolite by adding un-wanted extra characters. Notepad++ is fine.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Poovga
Competent
Competent

Post by Poovga »

Smivs wrote:
Just a thought but as you are using Windows, are you using Notepad to do your editing? Notepad breaks things in Oolite by adding un-wanted extra characters. Notepad++ is fine.
Ouch!
Ok... one more issue :)
Is there a way to "search and destroy" the extra characters?
I have the trial version of UltraEdit but if you think of another one, feel free to shout :)

Thanks
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Poovga wrote:
Smivs wrote:
I have the trial version of UltraEdit but if you think of another one, feel free to shout
No, get Notepad++, its freeware, under a GNU General Public Licence. And also comes with numerous languages too.

Here's the English Notepad++ homepage, and also the French homepage...
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Poovga wrote:
I tried to rename the extension but windows still read the file as a .txt and not as a .plist
Poovga wrote:
Is there a way to "search and destroy" the extra characters?
I suspect the problem is due to the fact that by default, Windows hides file extensions. So when you renamed the files to descriptions.plist and equipment.plist, what actually happened was they became named descriptions.txt.plist and equipment.txt.plist.

The easiest way to correct this is to turn off extension hiding. To do this, (pardon the English terms) open your My Documents folder, from the menu select 'Tools' then 'Folder options', change to the 'View' tab and un-tick 'Hide extensions for known file types'. You should then be able to easily remove the '.txt' part by simply renaming them again.

If I recall, the exact location of this in Vista, Win7 and Win8 is slightly different, but you should hopefully be able to find it. If not, I'll try to find better information for you.

Cody

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
If I recall, the exact location of this in Vista, Win7 and Win8 is slightly different...
Using Win7, I go via Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View (but via the Documents path gets the same result).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!