Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

oooo exciting....

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

harry747
Deadly
Deadly

Post by harry747 »

Disembodied wrote:
The killcount jump is normal – you get a bonus of I think 256 kills for taking out the Constrictor – but the money loss sounds like a bug to me ...
yeah, 256 sounds about right.

so when can i expect the next mission?

Screet wrote:
If they flee before and no other ships are around, do not follow on injectors, but with torus drive ("J") as soon as the ship leaves the scanner. This way the fleeing ship will use up all it's fuel while you keep a reserve for shooting it down once the victim slows down.
yeah, i know about that trick. used it against another supercobra.
MacBook pro, OSX 10.8.5, Xcode 5
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

harry747 wrote:
so when can i expect the next mission?
Most probably when you install a mission oxp ;) The next built in mission is some kills and a galaxy away.

For an overview of built-in missions and mission packs including where they take place, have a look at this page:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_Missions

Screet
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

ok.... im in galaxy two now (i kept a save game from galaxy one because i havent visited all the oxp places yet)...

... and ive lost the trail :cry:

do i just keep jumping around until i stumble across him again? i think ive jumped about 4 times and not seen anything yet ... assume im supposed to be checking the f6 screen?

B
Becca the Hermit Slayer, and part-time unpredictable avatar assassin.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Rebecca wrote:
ok.... im in galaxy two now (i kept a save game from galaxy one because i havent visited all the oxp places yet)...

... and ive lost the trail :cry:

do i just keep jumping around until i stumble across him again? i think ive jumped about 4 times and not seen anything yet ... assume im supposed to be checking the f6 screen?

B
Finding the Constrictor in G2 is more difficult in Oolite compared to past versions of Elite. As you said, the best way to move on is to continue visiting systems in G2. Sooner or later you will hit the next trail.

The difficulty with finding trails in Oolite is related to the fact that the older versions of Elite were inserting you always on the same location of the map every time you did a galactic jump. In Oolite's default behaviour, you are inserted at the coordinates you were before leaving the previous galaxy. So it's easy to be somewhere too far away from target when you enter G2.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

another_commander wrote:
The difficulty with finding trails in Oolite is related to the fact that the older versions of Elite were inserting you always on the same location of the map every time you did a galactic jump. In Oolite's default behaviour, you are inserted at the coordinates you were before leaving the previous galaxy. So it's easy to be somewhere too far away from target when you enter G2.
But it didn't need to be more difficult. It would have been easy to let the trail continue after a jump. In Elite you always ended up in the same place, wherever you started from.
In Oolite you get the message the Constrictor bought a galactic jump and used it at "xxxxxx" (no spoilers here). This is a level 9 system. On these systems there is a 1/7 chance (14%) that you can buy a Galactic hyperdrive. When the player already has one or buys one here and galactic jumps from this system, he ends up in orrionti (ID = 136). This system contains no clue.
In 86% of the cases he can't buy a Galactic jump here but when he looks on the map he will see 2 level 11 systems nearby (and no level 10 system) on the short range map. Only one is within 7 LY so the player is likely to fly there. When he buys the Galactic jump there and jumps he'll ends up in Veale (ID= 118) This system also contains no clue.

It would have been easy to let the trail continue for the most likely entry points. Giles didn't, so I think it was intentional the player needs to find the trail again. It certainly has nothing to do with a variable entry point as in reality the entry with Oolite is predictable.
HueijRevisited
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by HueijRevisited »

Rebecca wrote:

B
Check F7, the system info screen.
Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
And notifying the next of kin
Once again...
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

found him...back on the case!!
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

Rebecca wrote:
found him...back on the case!!
Good hunting! 8)
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

got him!!!!! and the escape pod too.... not much of a reward for all that trouble though!!!
Cmd. Cheyd
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Deep Horizon Industries Manufacturing & Research Site somewhere in G8...

Post by Cmd. Cheyd »

Rookie agents don't get the keys to the kingdom on their first mission... But it does show that the agent can be called upon later....
Rebecca
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Rebecca »

i did see the cryptic message..... will keep my eyes open for the next mission!