Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Either slow or bugged text

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

T. Earthenware-Tankard wrote:
Hello Sykonurse (Are you a (p)syko-nurse?)
I am having the same trouble that you had.
(1.65 at 4 FPS and 1.72 without text and textures)
But the patient is an ancient notebook with a *#$! rage mobility graphics card. I have tried about every available driver, but have not been updated since the begining of the milenium.
Could you describe exactly how you repaired your system?
I don`t find anything I could possibly deinstall on mine.
more information needed
Rage Mobility version
wiki wrote:

Almost every version of RAGE was used in mobile applications, but there were also some special versions of these chips which were optimized for this. They were ATI's first graphics solutions to carry the "Mobility" moniker.
Since, your error might not be the same as syko nurses, but the symptom is the same, namely no OpenGL support..

do this...
another_commander wrote:
You should now have a file called Latest.log in your <OoliteInstallDir>/oolite.app/Logs folder. Please post the contents of this file here. Also, please specify if you are running Windows Vista or XP. My first impression from the symptoms described is that you don't have hardware accelerated OpenGL, which could be due to bad drivers or installation thereof.
The solution is all there unless your rage card is one of the following...
wiki wrote:
3D RAGE Pro & RAGE IIc
RAGE Pro chip

RAGE Pro offered performance in the range of Nvidia's RIVA 128 and 3dfx's Voodoo accelerator, but generally failed to match or exceed its competitors. This,in addition to its (early) lack of OpenGL support, hurt sales for what was touted to be a solid gaming solution. In February 1998, ATI attempted to "reinvent" the RAGE Pro by simultaneously renaming the chip to "RAGE Pro Turbo," and releasing a new "RAGE Pro Turbo" driver-set (4.10.2312) that supposedly increased performance by 40%. In reality, the drivers only delivered increased performance in benchmarks such as Ziff-Davis' 3D Winbench 98 and Final Reality. In games, the performance actually suffered. Despite the poor introduction, the name RAGE Pro Turbo stuck, and eventually ATI was able to release updated drivers without the performance hit in games. Still, there was no tangible gaming performance improvement following the debacle.
again, we know more when we know the name of the mobility card

Cheers Frame....
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

But the patient is an ancient notebook with a *#$! rage mobility graphics card. I have tried about every available driver, but have not been updated since the begining of the milenium.
That looks like the ATI problem. Even my 4870x2 has it when theres too many ships around. Since you are a german, I bet you know how big KM Elektronik is. KM Elektronik suggests not to buy anything from ATI as their drivers are defunct.

Someone said there's fan written drivers for xp, which just don't run with vista. Maybe that solves your problem...oh, and ATI requests everyone who experiences problem with their current drivers to report them, as they only take that info for bugfixes, regardless how often those things are reported all over the world or how well known they are as showstoppers.

Thus, if current catalyst drivers turn out to be your problem, please report it, even if you manage to get rid of the problem using those fan drivers!
http://ati.supportcenteronline.com/ics/ ... 6&type=web

Screet
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Screet wrote:
That looks like the ATI problem. Even my 4870x2 has it when theres too many ships around. Since you are a german, I bet you know how big KM Elektronik is. KM Elektronik suggests not to buy anything from ATI as their drivers are defunct.

Someone said there's fan written drivers for xp, which just don't run with vista. Maybe that solves your problem...oh, and ATI requests everyone who experiences problem with their current drivers to report them, as they only take that info for bugfixes, regardless how often those things are reported all over the world or how well known they are as showstoppers.

Thus, if current catalyst drivers turn out to be your problem, please report it, even if you manage to get rid of the problem using those fan drivers!
http://ati.supportcenteronline.com/ics/ ... 6&type=web

Screet
I also did that months ago.. I even got a reply...

"We where unable to reconstruct your problems at our lab"...

Which is kind a surprising, I have done 3 reinstallations of Vista on this PC.. They requested sysinfo, (forgetting that they cannot read danish)..

I even recreated the problem myself on another machine, with another Motherboard.. I told them months ago that this was going to backfire right into their face.. I even think I have postings here about my old X800 card... in this forum...

In short They fucked up, either by having Tech monkeys that aint worth their salary or cant read english...

They policy is also to resolve bug submissions as fixed/resolved, when the user no longer replies to their once in 3 months letter that asks... I do not know how many times i reopened the case... Now just to annoy them i think.("should install a reminder to do that")

ATI burned me, so now i'm burning them, in the only way I can, by throwing poo at their brand name.. Because I got sick of doing this for 2 years or something...

"did the latest driver fix your problem"...

No it did'nt... and you are clueless as usual...

But ask HIS, cause they fixed it::: big shock....

but did they ask HIS... Nooo!!!!!!. cause they cannot read english... or HIS told them to get re educated or something...

My patience is formidable, but not indefinitely..

2 years is more than 2 percent of my life...

never ever am I going to buy ATI again...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
T. Earthenware-Tankard
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by T. Earthenware-Tankard »

OK, if you realy want to know

[log.header]: Opening log for Oolite version 1.72.2 (x86-32 test release) under Windows at 2009-02-16 14:14:05 +0100.
1 processor detected.
Note that the contents of the log file can be adjusted by editing logcontrol.plist.

[joystickHandler.init]: Number of joysticks detected: 0
[display.mode.list.native]: Windows native resolution detected: 1024 x 768
[rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 1.1.3 ("1.1.3")
Vendor: ATI
Renderer: RagePRO
[rendering.opengl.extensions]: OpenGL extensions (10):
GL_ATI_lock_texture GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_WIN_swap_hint
[rendering.opengl.shader.support]: Shaders will not be used (OpenGL extension GL_ARB_shading_language_100 is not available).
[searchPaths.dumpAll]: ---> OXP search paths:
(oolite.app/Resources, AddOns)
[dataCache.rebuild.explicitFlush]: Cache explicitly flushed with shift key. Rebuilding from scratch.
[shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data...
[script.load.world.listAll]: Loaded 5 world scripts: "oolite-cloaking-device" 1.72.2, "oolite-constrictor-hunt" 1.72.2, "oolite-nova" 1.72.2, "oolite-thargoid-plans" 1.72.2, "oolite-trumbles" 1.72.2
[dataCache.willWrite]: About to write data cache.
[dataCache.write.success]: Wrote data cache.
[gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2009-02-16 14:15:23 +0100.
After two popes named John-Paul, wouldn't it have been time for a George or a Ringo?
T. Earthenware-Tankard
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by T. Earthenware-Tankard »

Screet wrote:

Screet
Oh you are probably right. Just too much information for those 8mb.
I got textures by switching to reduced detail in the gnustep-defaults.
(I know - should have tried that earlier)
But the Text is still blocks.
After two popes named John-Paul, wouldn't it have been time for a George or a Ringo?