Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Problems compiling from Source

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

What happens if you take the gnustep-base-1_15.dll from the 1.72.2 version and put it in the oolite.app folder of the version you have compiled? Does this work?
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

another_commander wrote:
What happens if you take the gnustep-base-1_15.dll from the 1.72.2 version and put it in the oolite.app folder of the version you have compiled? Does this work?
No, it seems to be the same dll that's also placed in the trunk oolite folder when I make debug=no - I get the entry point problem. I need to use the dll of the same name from GNUstep tools to get rid of that dll entry point problem.

Maybe it would be best if I could convince GNUstep to run without DTDs?

Screet
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Screet wrote:
Maybe it would be best if I could convince GNUstep to run without DTDs?
That would mean that you have to compile GNUstep from source and that is a beast of a task. If you want to you can try, but there are a lot of dependency libraries to install and it is not very straightforward under Windows.

I'm surprised that the gnustep-base-1_15.dll distributed with Oolite gives you the entry point error. Are we sure we are talking the same versions here? You installed gnustep-base and -core 0.19.2 or a newer version? It seems like the gnustep-base import library you are linking to is a different version to its corresponding dll.

If all else fails, may I recommend a restart by removing any and all traces of gnustep then following Kaks' instructions step by step, working on new clean folders? At the end of the exercise, typing openapp oolite should be all it takes to run the game.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

another_commander wrote:
I'm surprised that the gnustep-base-1_15.dll distributed with Oolite gives you the entry point error. Are we sure we are talking the same versions here? You installed gnustep-base and -core 0.19.2 or a newer version? It seems like the gnustep-base import library you are linking to is a different version to its corresponding dll.

If all else fails, may I recommend a restart by removing any and all traces of gnustep then following Kaks' instructions step by step, working on new clean folders? At the end of the exercise, typing openapp oolite should be all it takes to run the game.
Yes, it's 0.19.2, both. I now uninstalled and removed the entire GNUstep folder and did install everything again (except the svn tool). When I requested the files via svn again, it's cache crashed *ARGH* however, it continued to get all those files.

This time I also did change the shell profile the way Kaks suggested - but I get the entry point error for the DLL again!

EDIT: Then I copied the dll from GNUstep tools to the oolite.app folder. Launched Oolite and got the (nil) problem again, but the subfolder GNUstep was being created in that directory. Copied the DTDs there...didn't help. Copied the DTDs also to the folder where the newly built oolite.exe is and got rid of the (nil) problem but was again rewarded by the message about the missing DTDs. Argh!

Screet
Last edited by Screet on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

last try: what happens when you remove gnustep-base-1_15.dll from

C:\GNUstep\Local\oolite\trunk\oolite.app ?
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Kaks wrote:
last try: what happens when you remove gnustep-base-1_15.dll from

C:\GNUstep\Local\oolite\trunk\oolite.app ?
YEAH!!!!!

In that case it works! Thus I only was required to delete the dll from that point after make finished!!!

Screet
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Good to hear that! :)

There's still something not quite right about your setup, but at least you can start playing with the code, if you want to! :D
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Solas
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Solas »

@ another_commander
your update to the Wiki on Jan 9 2009 has been lost.
the Wiki has reverted to a 'Jan 2 2009' version presumably after wiki-machine crash.

@ Screet
sorry for pointing you in the direction of the Wiki :(
glad to hear you got compiling working :)

Solas.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Kaks wrote:
There's still something not quite right about your setup, but at least you can start playing with the code, if you want to! :D
Yeah...and test the fuel stations with my Caduceus ;)

Thanks to you all for the help!!!

EDIT: Looking at the bugtracker list I cannot find the entry "player turrets don't shoot anymore" - could it be that the bugfix for the fuelstation was to disable the turrets like I did have to do manually with 1.72.2 or am I missing some older entries on that list?

Screet
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Hi!
Micha wrote:
You can also use it to build a Windows Installer for Oolite:
make -f Makefile pkg-win
Can you tell me what software I need for that to work? I just tried to make that call and it did search for a program (outside the GNU stuff, it seems) that I do not have.

I've now got a 64bit Vista and the development stuff is on Vista 32...so I tried to copy the files manually to the 64bit version. Oolite then turns to a black window and stays that way, apparantly again with DTD problems.

Thus it might be best if I could build an installer in 32bit and then install with that one under 64bit. The 1.72.2 installer does work, but trunk has improved so much since then...

Screet
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

You will need the Nullsoft Scriptable Install System (NSIS) to be able to create the Oolite installer package. You may also need to edit the Makefile and/or Oolite.nsi in order to point it to the folders where NSIS will be installed.
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

Whenever I compile I get this error message:

0 [main] sh 6240 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to sh.exe.stackdump
/bin/sh: line 2: 6240 segmentation <core dumped> < echo '' Compiling file src/Core/OOdebugGLDrawing.m ...''; gcc src/Core/OODebugGLDrawing.m -c -MMD -MP -DGNUSTEP -DGNUSTEP_BASE_LIBRARY=1 -DGNU_GUI_LIBRARY=1 =DGNU_RUNTIME=1 -DGNUSTEP_BASE_LIBRARY=1 -DGNU_WITH_DL -DGSWARN -DGSDIAGNOSE -Wno-import -g -02 -fno-strict-aliasing -fgnu-runtime -DLOADSAVEGUI -DWIN32 -DXP_WIN -Wno-import `sd1-config --cflags` -DALLOW_PROCEDURAL_PLANETS -DDOCKING_CLEARANCE_ENABLED -DWORMHOLE_SCANNER -DTARGET_INCOMING_MISSILES -fconstant-string-class=NSConstantString -Ideps/Windows-x86-deps/include -Isrc/SDL -Isrc/Core -Isrc/BSDCompat -Isrc/Core/Scripting -Isrc/Core/Materials -Isrc/Core/Entities -Isrc/Core/OXPVerifier -Isrc/Core/Debug -I. I/home/JOnathan/Gnustep/Library/Headers -I/GNUstep/Local/Library/Headers -I/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers -o obj/OODebugGLDrawing.m.o >
make[1]: *** [obj/OODebugGLDrawing.m.o] Error 139
make: *** [oolite.all.objc-program.variables] Error 2

What did I do wrong?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Cows wrote:
Whenever I compile I get this error message:

0 [main] sh 6240 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to sh.exe.stackdump
/bin/sh: line 2: 6240 segmentation <core dumped> < echo '' Compiling file src/Core/OOdebugGLDrawing.m ...''; gcc src/Core/OODebugGLDrawing.m -c -MMD -MP -DGNUSTEP -DGNUSTEP_BASE_LIBRARY=1 -DGNU_GUI_LIBRARY=1 =DGNU_RUNTIME=1 -DGNUSTEP_BASE_LIBRARY=1 -DGNU_WITH_DL -DGSWARN -DGSDIAGNOSE -Wno-import -g -02 -fno-strict-aliasing -fgnu-runtime -DLOADSAVEGUI -DWIN32 -DXP_WIN -Wno-import `sd1-config --cflags` -DALLOW_PROCEDURAL_PLANETS -DDOCKING_CLEARANCE_ENABLED -DWORMHOLE_SCANNER -DTARGET_INCOMING_MISSILES -fconstant-string-class=NSConstantString -Ideps/Windows-x86-deps/include -Isrc/SDL -Isrc/Core -Isrc/BSDCompat -Isrc/Core/Scripting -Isrc/Core/Materials -Isrc/Core/Entities -Isrc/Core/OXPVerifier -Isrc/Core/Debug -I. I/home/JOnathan/Gnustep/Library/Headers -I/GNUstep/Local/Library/Headers -I/GNUstep/System/Library/Headers -o obj/OODebugGLDrawing.m.o >
make[1]: *** [obj/OODebugGLDrawing.m.o] Error 139
make: *** [oolite.all.objc-program.variables] Error 2

What did I do wrong?
Assuming you're building from the instructions in this thread (and in the Wiki) you may want to read this topic. It looks similar (I think, it was a while ago) to the problems I had because the Local_20080124.zip file didn't extract to the correct location.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cows
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cows »

I don't think that was it because I had already removed the folders inside Local_20090108 and put them inside GNUstep/Local and deleted the empty folder. However, I did make my own oolite.app folder in GNUstep/Local/oolite/trunk, and all that was inside it was the resources file from GNUstep/Local/oolite/trunk, and the dll files from oolite 1.72.2 and GNUstep/Local/bin. Is that my problem?

Another thing, I do get that v(nil) message at the top, and I have put the DTDs folder everywhere that I could find Defaults and Library in the same directory.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

The oolite.app folder is created as part of the compilation process, but I'm not sure pre-creating it yourself would cause those kind of errors.. certainly you could try deleting it and have another go.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied