Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Jumping wall inside docking slit of Raceedat station

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Oh - I did say maybe. And the IC is a way better ship, too. Not even mentioning the pride you feel flying one - flying along, seeing a ship out at 24km, and mowing it down with a military laser before they can even point at you. Did that once to a Mosquito Trader - blew cargo all over the place.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Screet wrote:
Someone contacted me via PM and had a suggestion I was practically unable to believe...but it appears that he is right. This goes into the direction of the previously named "two docking bays" idea: that another station is being loaded at the same position, gets destroyed and only it's docking bay remains intact at the position of the other docking bay.
*practises mindreading powers*

OK, so a mysterious someone has suggested that the RS SIRFYards do appear inside another station and produce the strange docking slit.

Or, perhaps it's just me being paranoid :wink:

But if my amazing powers of mindreading are correct, perhaps the mysterious someone might come forwards on the forums if a problem was found and post it, so that the suspected problem might be fixed?

Cheers :lol:

L
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Screet »

Hi!
Lestradae wrote:
so that the suspected problem might be fixed?
Well, he wrote that it's the following line:

Code: Select all

<string>addSystemShips: SIRF-YARD0 1 1.0</string>
The reason that I didn't contact you directly is that I wanted to make some further tests because of the following points:
1) The problem only exists with Raceedat type stations
2) The problem exists even when a SIRF is at proper distance to the station
3) The problem exists after loading a commander, while SIRFs are not around when I do load a game.

I thought you already have enough to do with that upcoming thing, thus I did want to see myself if I can find out more about this problem.

If the suggestion is correct, the only explanation I do have until now is, that you attempted to create SIRFs that would exist upon loading, but never did see the stations, then went to some other solution which does work (but not with loading) and forgot to remove the initial code to add the SIRF.

I hope you understand why I didn't relay that idea instantly to you. I do really have open questions concerning this bug.

Screet
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi Screet,

everything's OK! :D

If that is as our mysterious informant says, I can even imagine how that happens. Perhaps the station gets first spawned at the same point as the original station if the original main station is of that Raceedat type, explodes and leaves the second docking slit in.

With the RS successor, OSE, the SIRFYards really are in interstellar space - six times further out from the witchpoint than the distance witchpoint - main station is. That means that in the OSE WiP Beta3 which you will soon have, this potential problem is already solved.

What I don't understand is (and I don't mean you with that, Screet) is why someone finds a bug or an error with RS and doesn't come straight to me on the boards or via PN and just tells me.

Because if that happens and I am convinced that a bug has occured, I will fix it ASAP. The only thing I want is being informed in a friendly way, that's all.

Thanks for your answer & confirming my amazing powers of mindreading, perhaps I should attempt to go to the circus with that - the amazing Lestradae: "Someone does Chinese whispers on an internet board and he can tell you what they said!" :shock:

Even who did it! No, now it gets ridiculous :lol:

Cheers Screet,

L
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by Screet »

Hi!
Lestradae wrote:
Perhaps the station gets first spawned at the same point as the original station if the original main station is of that Raceedat type, explodes and leaves the second docking slit in.
If so, how could a SIRF exist close to a Raceedat-type station? This would require the creation of two SIRFs in one system, including the different behaviour concerning loading. Furthermore, some "common" station variants do use walls like that I saw, thus making it easier to believe that the OXP which replaces some stations with Raceedat ones creates the Raceedat over the existing one.

Screet
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by Screet »

Hmm. Noone answered yet on how to bring a different player to a specific system.

Again, when I found one of the Raceedats, it had the wall (as usual). This time I saved and then created a save file for a test, edited the ship info to be a standard model, removed RS from Addons and launched.

The Raceedat station was replaced by a Coriolis, and the whole docking bay did look completely different.

As I understand it, the Raceedat is from a different OXP - thus I fail to understand what's going on.

Screet
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

What roles/names do the docking slits have in the two stations? Just wondering if they are getting mixed up, and the populator is selecting the wrong one when the station is spawned?
wackyman465
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by wackyman465 »

Raceedat stations are already very buggy - for example, they appear in systems other than Raceedat. They are from Trident Down.
I shot him back first. That is to say, I read his mind and fired before he would have fired on me. No, sir, he wasn't a fugitive.
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

wackyman465 wrote:
Raceedat stations are already very buggy - for example, they appear in systems other than Raceedat. They are from Trident Down.
I understood it that way that Racedaat is producing that type of station, thus they appear at other systems.

The strange thing is, that the station was replaced by a common coriolis when I disabled RS without making any other change to my AddOn folder.

Screet
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

I thought I'd set conditions in the shipdata for the Raceedat Coriolis station but a quick look reveals that I didn't! Although it has a very low role of 'station', it also has a coriolis as a role, which in testing I didn't find a problem, however, this should be changed to 'coriolis(0)' to avoid making it appear in other systems.

Other than the name a Raceedat station is the same as any other Coriolis station, but uses the Gritty Coriolis OXP texture.

The line of code quoted before,
will always attempt to put a station on top of an existing one, rather than replacing it through Oolite's system populator based on roles.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi Ramirez,
Ramirez wrote:
The line of code quoted before,
will always attempt to put a station on top of an existing one, rather than replacing it through Oolite's system populator based on roles.
Thanks for the clarification!

I never got the idea that something could be wrong with the above line, because the SIRFYards always spawned correctly in my game, the main stations too, and no one seems to have observed this docking slit clash before ...

For the RS successor, this problem has accidentally already been resolved, as the SIRFYards are no longer adjacent to the main station, but far-out in TL 12+ systems where they will quite probably not be able to crash into anything.

Cheers

L
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ...

Post by Screet »

Lestradae wrote:
I never got the idea that something could be wrong with the above line, because the SIRFYards always spawned correctly in my game, the main stations too, and no one seems to have observed this docking slit clash before ...

For the RS successor, this problem has accidentally already been resolved, as the SIRFYards are no longer adjacent to the main station, but far-out in TL 12+ systems where they will quite probably not be able to crash into anything.
Obviously, the bug is more complex than that. If I take RS out, the stations do not become Raceedat-type ones, but even the RS successor, which does not place SIRFs in those systems, does not remove the additional walls!

Thus, RS seemingly affects the selection of the station, but the walls appear to come from somewhere else. Anyway, the oxp that did add the Raceedat stations has been updated - I didn't update yet, but I guess after I do, there will at max be one station with those walls in it.

The walls are definitely not from the replaced coriolis. They more likely appear to be from a dodo or navy station (the latter probably the source).

Screet
ZygoUgo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ZygoUgo »

I noticed that if you use the offending 'wall' as the ceiling/floor, you won't receive any damage, as the stations actual docking bay is not represented with any collision detection, but the dislocated one is.
Don't know if that makes any difference to your bug hunt..
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Could it be that the station simply uses the wrong docking bay? In the game there are two variants: One horizontal and one vertical bay. If you insert the vertical variant into a horizontal hole in the station (or vice versa) you would get the effect you are observing.

And by the way: I just observed this with a Behemoth II which had its docking bay fitted vertically into its horizontal slit.

If it's not the wrong bay in the first place, then it is for some reason turned by 90 degrees. I remember we had problems with misplaced/misaligned subentities before, and I remember that the position of the docking bay in the subentity list is important. I think it has to be the first subentity in the list. Perhaps it would be worthwhile checking that out.