Flying_Dutchman.oxp

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Sarin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sarin »

I assume it is indestructible is it?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Yes. You wouldn't expect to be able to destroy a ghost, wouldn't you?

(Although you never know what people expect, after we have been flooded with ridiculous mystery/vampire/ghost-series since the 90s. After more than a decade this could of course lead to some brainwash... :? )

Although, as far as my short exchange with Lestradae is concerned, unfortunately it is not as indestructible as I thought. What I intended is that the ship eventually mysteriously vanishes into the sun. Yesterday I checked it out. Doesn't happen. Obviously no ship-entity can survive a collision with a sun- or planet-entity. So it makes kaboom when it reaches the sun's surface. :? Not what I wanted, but I guess all I can get.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Could you just add a landOnplanet when it reaches a certain distance from the sun? Set the distance as close, but before the point comes where its too close for it to survive.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Yes, that's what I am going to do. Although it's not half as spooky as observing the ship diving gratiously into the sun, while your own ship explodes from massive radiation exposure. :twisted:
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Commander McLane wrote:
Yes, that's what I am going to do. Although it's not half as spooky as observing the ship diving gratiously into the sun, while your own ship explodes from massive radiation exposure. :twisted:
And the fact that you are crashing into a Star, witch are big and hot.
FSOneblin
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

FSOneblin wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
FSOneblin
But that's only the 'last resort'. In most cases your ship will have suffered a structural integrity failure before you physically crash into the sun.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Commander McLane wrote:
FSOneblin wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
FSOneblin
But that's only the 'last resort'. In most cases your ship will have suffered a structural integrity failure before you physically crash into the sun.
and your hull, biological matter and so forth have reduced to superheated vapour.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Captain Hesperus wrote:
and your hull, biological matter and so forth have reduced to superheated vapour.
I didn't say 'Peace to your ashes.', did I? 8)
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

I do not know if I am the only one that detects this but the encounter with the ghost ship is very frequent. Since it is a flavor oxp I think it would be better if those encounters will be less frequent
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

After the initial encounter there is a 5 per cent probability to encounter him again, so roughly after 20 jumps.

However, this is only true after the first successful encounter. Which means you have to get close enough to the ship to let it do some damage in the first place. Only then a mission variable is set, that causes the low probability mentioned above. If you never got close enough to it to actually have some bad luck, both the apocalyptic horseman and in its wake the ghost itself will be created again on every jump.

At least that's how it should work.

Could you check the line below

Code: Select all

<key>mission_flying_dutchman</key>
in the mission_variables-part of your savefile? When it reads 'ENCOUNTER', you had no successful first encounter yet. When it reads 'SEE_YOU_AGAIN', there is the 5 per cent probability to actually see him again.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

yes!! thats explains it
thank you for clarify this :D
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

New version 1.5 is Oolite 1.73.2-compliant. Apologies for the delay, and for all the times you had the nasty message on your start-up screen. Should be a thing of the past now.

Download via the Elite Wiki.