Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ship depreciation ...?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Screet - I think Oolite is written in ObjectiveC - something I've never played with, so I cannot comment on it's similarity (or not) to C++
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Yeah, its Objective C which is another object oriented C, kind of like C++ is.

Its easy to work on using a mac, in xcode, which is documented on the wiki someplace (cant find it right now), and I think it should be reasonable on other systems like windows or linux, but I havent tried,
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

For the small amount of Oolite coding in Linux, I’ve found gedit (the default GUI editor in Ubuntu) adequate – it has basic indentation support and syntax highlighting for Objective-C, GLSL and XML out of the box, but not legacy plists. For more extensive work, the absence of IDE features like easy access to headers would be very annoying.

There are two IDEs specifically for Objective-C and GNUstep, but they’re unusably bad.

I’m sure hardcore Linuxoids would scoff at the idea that anyone would forgo the opportunity to learn Emacs and/or vim in excruciating detail, and those people are welcome to live in their fantasy worlds without telling me about it. :-)

I don’t know about Windows, but expect another_commander could recommend something.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

I am using UltraEdit32 for editing under Windows . I find UE32 pretty flexible, with an especially good Search In Files option. But I have not found any configuration files for Obj-C syntax highlighting support, although I guess one can create such files by looking at the already existing ones for C++/HTML etc. and using them as examples. Despite that, the job gets done without too many hassles.