Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Problems with nebulae and space background in 1.71.2

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Test this on the HD3800 please:
http://terrastorage.ath.cx/Marmagka/M4b ... oolite.exe
Just rename the original executable in oolite.app and put this one in.

This is the standard Oolite 1.71.2 executable, rebuilt with the old sky code. I checked it on my laptop and apparently the standard sky data files are just fine, so give it a go and tell me if it worked for you.
s8404755
Competent
Competent

Post by s8404755 »

I don't know how to tell you this, you having gone to the trouble of re-compiling the app for me, but reducing the anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering to 2x in the ATI control center fixed the problem.

The interesting thing is that using the .exe that you provided exhibited the problem again! At least it did the first time I ran it...

Then I ran 1.65 - fine
Then I ran 1.71.2 - fine
Checked anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering settings - they had reverted!
Changed them back.
Then I ran 1.65 - fine
Then I ran 1.71.2 - fine
Then I ran 1.71.2 (with 1.65 sky code) - fine
Checked anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering settings - they had remained the same.
Changed them back to the original 4x setting (should be noted that in all cases the tick box was checked to allow the given app to overide the settings should it so desire)
Then I ran 1.65 - fine
Then I ran 1.71.2 - fine

I can no longer re-produce the problem. I hate computers!

Anyway, thanks again for all your help - I'd like you to think of it as a valuable programming exercise and not as a complete waste of your time...

Martin
s8404755
Competent
Competent

Post by s8404755 »

System Redux is working now too...
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Glad you got it to work. As for the valuable programming exercise, well, not that much of an exercise, really. I build Oolite on average four times a day for testing purposes and the number increases exponentially as release dates approach.

I choose to see it as simply taking joy in helping out fellow commanders in their endeavours ;-)
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

s8404755 wrote:
I don't know how to tell you this, you having gone to the trouble of re-compiling the app for me, but reducing the anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering to 2x in the ATI control center fixed the problem.

The interesting thing is that using the .exe that you provided exhibited the problem again! At least it did the first time I ran it...

Then I ran 1.65 - fine
Then I ran 1.71.2 - fine
Checked anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering settings - they had reverted!
Changed them back.
Then I ran 1.65 - fine
Then I ran 1.71.2 - fine
Checked anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering settings - they had remained the same.
Changed them back to the original 4x setting (should be noted that in all cases the tick box was checked to allow the given app to overide the settings should it so desire)
Then I ran 1.65 - fine
Then I ran 1.71.2 - fine

I can no longer re-produce the problem. I hate computers!

Anyway, thanks again for all your help - I'd like you to think of it as a valuable programming exercise and not as a complete waste of your time...

Martin
ATI drivers can work in very odd ways... for example, if i set my settings on a HD2600XT to high(vista), the machine will run better than if set them to low...

Seems it has to struggle more the produce low end texture mappings.. which is good, however not very logical...

And on those tick boxes, i sometimes am very suspicious of those, cause if the program fails to communicate with the drivers and/or hardware in regard to this, then the overide should not work.. therefore its better to force settings for each program via profiling...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
s8404755
Competent
Competent

Post by s8404755 »

Ok, I'm really annoyed with it now.

I can no longer get Oolite to work normally (stars showing up) in 1.71.2. I was fine for a few days - I just had to restart the game a couple of times - but now it won't work at all!

I just doesn't make any sense - sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't and i have made no changes to my computer - it was working earlier today but now it won't...
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

s8404755 wrote:
Ok, I'm really annoyed with it now.

I can no longer get Oolite to work normally (stars showing up) in 1.71.2. I was fine for a few days - I just had to restart the game a couple of times - but now it won't work at all!

I just doesn't make any sense - sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't and i have made no changes to my computer - it was working earlier today but now it won't...
i replied in another thread... check that your computer is not getting to hot while playing oolite..

check, that the CPU is lower than 70 degrees: you can monitor that in the bios.

likewise check the GPU temptrature in the catalyst controle center

Check that your hard-drives dont get to hot.. something that harddrives can do if they are installed in the computer really close to each other..
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Sometimes a complete uninstall and reinstall works, that would be my first option since you were getting stars originally.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
s8404755
Competent
Competent

Post by s8404755 »

Tried a re-install to no avail. Also my pc will play other, more demanding games with no problems started up immediately after Oolite has gone wrong,so I don't think there is an overheat issue or anything wrong with my hardware. My CPU and GPU run at pretty low temps (<50c).
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Hmmm.

Only thing I can think of is a complete uninstall, registry clean up, reboot and then try installing again, and check your graphics card settings, otherwise it's over to the techies. Persevere with it, you had the stars and nebula before so something has changed somewhere.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
s8404755
Competent
Competent

Post by s8404755 »

Thanks - I agree with that - does Oolite put anything in the registry?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

s8404755 wrote:
does Oolite put anything in the registry?
Oolite writes the following in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Oolite Install_Dir (location of its installation)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Oolite DisplayName "Oolite Package"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Oolite UninstallString "[InstallDir]\UninstOolite.exe"
The above are needed by the uninstaller in order to perform its duties.
All keys are removed at uninstallation time.
s8404755
Competent
Competent

Post by s8404755 »

hmm - so it's unlikely to affect anything then, thank you.
hwtan
Competent
Competent

Post by hwtan »

It does not work on my ATI X1050, Vista Home Premium system. Switching off the shader also does not work.
s8404755
Competent
Competent

Post by s8404755 »

No, nothing works...