Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

sun positioning and size in 1.71

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Commander McLane wrote:
Generation Ships create MOOOOONSTER wormholes!
Isn't there something fundamentally wrong with this sentence?
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Generation Ships create MOOOOONSTER wormholes!
Isn't there something fundamentally wrong with this sentence?
Well, they would, if they did. But they don’t. So that’s all right. Er.
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Hhmmm... ...someone obviously didn't quite take in why they were called Generation Ships...
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
matt634
Deadly
Deadly

Post by matt634 »

I think Mclane was referring to this very interesting experience:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... hole#41059
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

ahh, I had forgotten that incident!! :lol: :lol:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Just seen another really tiny wormhole... I didn't see what made it, but it persisted for a good long time. After sitting watching it, where it remained this big, I saw it start to shrink from its (presumably original?) very small size and disappear. Note the 5:1 zoom on the scanner: I'm almost on top of it here:

I don't have any midget jump-capable ships installed. My ship- and ship-containing OXPs are Behemoth, Commies, Dictatorships, Fer-de-Lance NG, Frog Space Rickshaw, newships, oldships, Python Class Cruiser, Thorgorn Threat, transports, tugs, Wolf Mk II, Wolfwood's Variants.

Actually, now that I've listed these, I realise that I haven't yet seen a Frog Rickshaw under 1.71.X: could there be something making them witchspace-capable? They do have the role "trader" alongside "taxi" and "rickshaw": maybe the game's calling them up and letting them warp out.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Disembodied wrote:
I don't have the Kestrel installed, but you're probably right. I just saw a Moray Medical witch out in front of me, as it approached the Navigation Buoy straight out the station. Terribly bad manners, I thought, leaving its wormhole there right in everyone's way,
Yes, I have also seen things like this a couple of times now, a small wormhole in front of the station beacon. I've noticed it only in 1.71, so I think it has been introduced in this version, possibly by the AI-tweakings?

I would call it a bug, as ships are not supposed to be able to witch out in a distance smaller than the distance to the beacon.

As for the GenShip: matt634 is right, this was the incident. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I don't think it should be made repeatable.

And as for Disembodied's screenshot: Yeah, this doesn't look right. Next time you encounter a wormhole as small as this, could you make an entity-dump (pause, then press 0 (=zero))? In the list of entities in your stderr-file you will find it as a wormhole-entity, together with some informations, most notably the time since creation and the time until disappearing, and its size. If there are more than one wormholes in the list, it should be the one whose coordinates are very close to yours (the player-entity on top of the list), assuming you're again sitting on top of it.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Actually, now that I've listed these, I realise that I haven't yet seen a Frog Rickshaw under 1.71.X: could there be something making them witchspace-capable? They do have the role "trader" alongside "taxi" and "rickshaw": maybe the game's calling them up and letting them warp out.
I am currently testing my RS V3.01 and I have merged the Frog Space Rickshaw into that.

In my 1.71.1, the frogspace rickshaw appears randomly in systems as it should, doing what it should, I have never seen one hyperspace while testing (doesn`t say its impossible at all).

I have not changed anything at this OXP, so the original version probably also shouldn`t do something new and unexpected.

Oh, and it`s (unmodified) roles are:

Code: Select all

<string>taxi rickshaw trader(0.05)</string>
:idea:

L
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

If called as a trader, it will be given traderAI, so a Frog could then jump.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

<string>taxi rickshaw trader(0.05)</string>
If called as a trader, it will be given traderAI, so a Frog could then jump.
:)

So, there`s a 5% chance for that then. Is the wormhole size dependent on ships size? They could make pretty small wormholes then ... but they shouldn`t be new, the frogOXP has been around for ages.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Yeah, the wormhole is in proportion to the size of the ship. In Murgh's original OXP the Frogs are called by a specific custom role and so use their custom AI (which chats to the player but never jumps). If you change this to call them as traders rather than by their custom role, then they will use the native AI for traders and so can jump. I think if you set AutoAI to false, then the ship will follow the AI specified in its shipdata entry however it is called. But without this command it defaults to the AI of the role it was called by.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

@ LittleBear: What about the duration of the hole? Is that in proportion to the size of the ship, or the length of the jump, or some other factor? The small hole I saw being made by the Moray Medical only lasted a few seconds, but the tiny one I took the screenshot of persisted for at least 30.

@ Commander McLane: OK, I'll keep a lookout and try to catch an entity-dump next time!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Duration is also proportional. This is why I have different AIs for different ships in Random Hits. All may jump when badly hurt, but its virtually impossible to follow a boy racer before his wormhole collapes (unless your right behind him), so I gave very small ships a very small chance of jumping.
Not too sure if the distance jumped also effects it and there may be also some random factor, but I think in general the smaller the wormhole the quicker it collapses.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

OK, thanks... which means it's more likely something weird was going on with the really tiny but persistent wormhole I snapped above!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I just thought "what the heck, let's try to find an update for the graphics driver".

In my case that's for an ATI Radeon X1600 in a MacBook Pro.

Unfortunately, ATI's website only lists Mac drivers from January 2005(!), and my X1600 isn't even mentioned! :o

So that doesn't help.

Oh, and the problem with the too-small planets persists in 1.71.1 (full version).