Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

hack save file?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi gildenman,
I've just discovered OOlite and your RS OXP. One thing I noticed is that following your instructions for moving a save game from basic OOlite to RS OXP, you recommend editing the save game to adjust credits so that the player does not cheat (by gaining free credits) or lose credits due to the differing ship prices.
No, don`t!

If you have started a new game with RS in, or if you have been playing for some time but are still flying your original Cobra MkIII, this does not apply - better leave your savegame as it is!

Also, if you later on change ship, there is no reason to edit your savegame. RS and Oolite will work the transition from ship to ship out automatically - no interference by editing anything is nescessary!

Such a transition only makes sense if you have already bought a ship that`s wildly over- or underpriced in relation to its stats (i.e. the original SuperCobra or the illicit unlock Fer-de-Lance) and want to switch to a game with RS in.

Is my rambling understandable?

Oh, and: Welcome on the boards, presumably the friendliest boards this side of Riedquat. One wonders what is on the other side. Oh, well.

Have fun.

L
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: ....

Post by Thargoid »

Lestradae wrote:
Oh, and: Welcome on the boards, presumably the friendliest boards this side of Riedquat. One wonders what is on the other side. Oh, well.
Us :twisted: :wink: :twisted:
gildenman
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: ....

Post by gildenman »

Lestradae wrote:
If you have started a new game with RS in, or if you have been playing for some time but are still flying your original Cobra MkIII, this does not apply - better leave your savegame as it is!

Also, if you later on change ship, there is no reason to edit your savegame. RS and Oolite will work the transition from ship to ship out automatically - no interference by editing anything is nescessary!
Ok. So if I had kept the Cobra MkIII then no editing would be necessary?
Lestradae wrote:
Such a transition only makes sense if you have already bought a ship that`s wildly over- or underpriced in relation to its stats (i.e. the original SuperCobra or the illicit unlock Fer-de-Lance) and want to switch to a game with RS in.
But if I hadn't then editing would be necessary.
So how would this editing be performed?
Lestradae wrote:
Is my rambling understandable?
Kind of :)
Seems to be exactly the same as your instructions for RS, which recommend editing your save credits, in the case of having changed your ship:
Lestradae wrote:
3. Edit your savegame credit stats accordingly. In the above example, you would edit your credits down from 250.000 to 90.000 Cr. From then onwards the Shipyards oxp will play out properly anyways.
You also mention somewhere that one path with RS is selling your cobra at Lave and getting a trading ship with a 100t cargo bay. I could only find a Tribant Trader with a 60t cargo bay. Am I missing something?
Lestradae wrote:

Have fun.
Thanks a lot.
Thanks even more for your RS. Amazing piece of work.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Hi gildenman
Ok. So if I had kept the Cobra MkIII then no editing would be necessary?
Nope.
Lestradae wrote: Such a transition only makes sense if you have already bought a ship that`s wildly over- or underpriced in relation to its stats (i.e. the original SuperCobra or the illicit unlock Fer-de-Lance) and want to switch to a game with RS in.

gildenman wrote: But if I hadn't then editing would be necessary. So how would this editing be performed?
By, as said in the RS How-To, opening your savegame file with an editor, searching for your credits amount in there (100 credits show as 1000, as the . is left out) and alter them according to the difference between Oolite with/without RS. Then save the new savegame file and that`s it.

I`m not sure which step of the process you are unsure about - if you ask me a more specific question, I might be able to provide a more specific answer. 8)
You also mention somewhere that one path with RS is selling your cobra at Lave and getting a trading ship with a 100t cargo bay. I could only find a Tribant Trader with a 60t cargo bay. Am I missing something?
Yep. This is just an example that could happen - by no means something that has to happen. Which ships can be bought in a given shipyard is determined randomly by the game itself (in conjunction with RS, if it`s installed), so you could have no ships, one ship, or twenty ships offered in the Lave shipyard - and they could be cheap, expensive, fast, big cargo bay, etc. ...

So you could buy the Tribant trader to start with three times the Cobra MkIII`s cargo bay, or a Dragster racer variant to outrace most enemies etc. ... and get going with the cash left.

But, which ships are on offer, will still vary randomly - you can choose from them.
Thanks even more for your RS. Amazing piece of work.

Cheers,

L
gildenman
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: ...

Post by gildenman »

Lestradae wrote:
By, as said in the RS How-To, opening your savegame file with an editor, searching for your credits amount in there (100 credits show as 1000, as the . is left out) and alter them according to the difference between Oolite with/without RS. Then save the new savegame file and that`s it.

I`m not sure which step of the process you are unsure about - if you ask me a more specific question, I might be able to provide a more specific answer. 8)
If you edit the save game directly then when you load that save game in, the game engine outputs 'POSSIBLE CHEAT DETECTED'.
A short while after, what I assume is a trumble, started bouncing around the screen whilst I was still in the station.
I assume this is because in editing the save game the checksum did not then match?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

If you edit the save game directly then when you load that save game in, the game engine outputs 'POSSIBLE CHEAT DETECTED'.
As far as I know, this should happen only once and then go away. Hm, you will have to ask the knowledgeable people who program Oolite itself to get the question answered under which circumstances the message stays ...
A short while after, what I assume is a trumble, started bouncing around the screen whilst I was still in the station. I assume this is because in editing the save game the checksum did not then match?
I heard that you can acquire a trumble infestation as a result of cheating ... you have to ask Ahruman or another commander, I think, about that.

I only edited my savegame file two times in one-and-a-half real-life game years; once, when I switched to RS myself (I had "too much" money) and once, when my pet trumble suddenly died ... I resurrected it :twisted:

Both times I got the 'POSSIBLE CHEAT DETECTED' message once and then never again, and there were no ill effects ...

Sorry that I can`t answer that question consistently for you :(

L
Amen Brick
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Amen Brick »

Ease of docking can vary with the ship you're flying. If it is fast and twitchy, it can be hell. I know I tried to dock one of my 'Scoundrels' and had to run at it three times before I could do it.