Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Contracts vs Plain old trading

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I've just delivered 36 tons of alloys, I immediately sold them when accepting the contract, and then "acquired" some alloys and metal splinters that happened to be floating about in space on my way to the destination!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

TGHC wrote:
I've just delivered 36 tons of alloys, I immediately sold them when accepting the contract, and then "acquired" some alloys and metal splinters that happened to be floating about in space on my way to the destination!
And you guys call me a dodgy dealer!

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Erai
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Erai »

Just got 45000 Cr for an eight-jump trip with 2000kg platinum... You know, I am really starting to like those contracts :D
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Erai wrote:
Just got 45000 Cr for an eight-jump trip with 2000kg platinum... You know, I am really starting to like those contracts :D
Yeh well, I bet my dad's got a bigger dog than your dad :twisted:
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

All in all another reason why we really don't need a get-rich-scheme via any OXP. It's already in the game, but ... you have to discover it! 8)

Which I of course like more than the OXP-way.
Liquidator
Average
Average

Post by Liquidator »

For the sake of the example I spawned a new Jameson ("the Marauder"), bought 3 tonnes of booze and 4 tonnes of food, and set the controls for Leesti. (Using ver. 1.70 on OS X with "all" OXP's installed).

On the way there, I forced a misjump into witch-space.

Plenty of navy ships took care of the Thargoids (I did take a bit of fire but nothing scary). When things had quieted down I started cleaned the space of inactive Tharglets with my pulse laser. Some time later I had increased my fortune from less than 10 CR to 3508.8 CR + having earned 70 kills and a rating of "above average".

In the Leesti system I could unload my cargo, by a docking computer and fuel injectors, and start doing some real trading.

Not much of a challenge but very profitable for Jameson 8)

PS close to Leesti I barely survived an assault by a Tiger gang + someone's Q-bomb :shock:
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

hmm... sounds like the navy AI needs to be a bit more agressive harvesting those tharglets.

And I should remember to misjump more often. 70 kills in one jump means only 20 jumps to reach Elite :)
Erai
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Erai »

TGHC wrote:
Erai wrote:
Yeh well, I bet my dad's got a bigger dog than your dad :twisted:
Heheh, I bet he does, the best thing I could come up near me would be a french bulldog :P

But, since I am not largely endowed and desperately need to compensate, feast your eyes on this :lol:

And I think I am going to say that trading may need a bit of a whack with the nerfbat, this was the second time something like this happened while I was playing. (Not that I am personally complaining, heheh)