Happy Xmas everybody

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

quite so. besides, i thought that everyone knew that jesus wasn't born in the winter. no sheep in the fields then. he was born in the spring. ^^ it's just a celebration of the event.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

The Dreamcatcher wrote:
Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Call me Ebenezer, or whatever, but please, please STOP THAT!!!
Stop what? Wishinh each other happy christmas?
Yeah, that, the compulsory happiness and the fake merryment.
I've endured it nicely and without remarks until the 25th, but after that -- it's over!!!

Cmdr. 'Xmas hater' Maegil
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

well, i can be accommodating! happy (upcoming) new year!! =D
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Compulsory? Fake?

I must say that I'm really honestly happy for not having to go to work every day. I'm also happy that I can enjoy the candlelight and Christmas music with my wife, and read books on the sofa. I was also happy to share this with my wife's sister who was over at our place on the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day...

Nothing compulsory about that (except the listening of my wife's sister's complaining about not being able to find decent men of her age who aren't already married. Anyone interested (seriously) in a Scandinavian blonde (pretty hot) of about 29 years of age can send their applications to me).
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Kaiserspike
Competent
Competent

Post by Kaiserspike »

Dr. Nil wrote:
:lol:

Being a nihilist never stopped me from having a merry celebration of the roman conglomeration of the multitude of the-sun-god-is-dead-for-three-days-and-reborn-on-the-25th-of-December traditions of the ancient world. Be it Ra/Horus born of Virgin Isis or whatever. The return of the Sun (for us northern hemispherians) is as good a reason as any to have a party. ;)
Right on!!!
Guard your Poems Lobster meat!
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

nijineko wrote:
well, i can be accommodating! happy (upcoming) new year!! =D
Ahhhh! THAT was refreshing! Thank you!
(Really. No sarcasm this time.)
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Wolfwood wrote:
Anyone interested (seriously) in a Scandinavian blonde (pretty hot) of about 29 years of age can send their applications to me).
Ok let me have the address, but don't tell my wife!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
The Dreamcatcher
Competent
Competent

Post by The Dreamcatcher »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
The Dreamcatcher wrote:
Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Call me Ebenezer, or whatever, but please, please STOP THAT!!!
Stop what? Wishinh each other happy christmas?
I've endured it nicely and without remarks until the 25th, but after that -- it's over!!!

Cmdr. 'Xmas hater' Maegil
Technically it isn't. Christmas (for those that celebrate it) BEGINS on 25th Of December and continues for 12 days until 6th January, hence the "12 days of Christmas" song. It's on the 12th night that you're supposed to take your decorations down.

As for the new year... Well being Pagan, that began for me at Samhain (October 31s) which is the start of our new year, so thanks, but you'r a bit late with that one :D
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

I stand corrected. Pray, continue your pointless exercise - I won't check this thread again.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

The Dreamcatcher wrote:
Technically it isn't. Christmas (for those that celebrate it) BEGINS on 25th Of December and continues for 12 days until 6th January, hence the "12 days of Christmas" song. It's on the 12th night that you're supposed to take your decorations down.
Huh? Most of the Europe celebrates Christmas on the 24th, and you could reasonably argue that it starts on St. Nicholas day, 6th December, as under some traditions, this is when children get their presents.

That said, I think we can all agree that in the real world, xmas celebration starts sometime in autumn and by the 25th many people are well sick of it ;)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

FMCG companies will already be planning and designing next years Xmas offerings.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

The Dreamcatcher wrote:
Indeed, that's the way it is handled in most places, as far as I know. In Finnish, we even have a word for the last day of the celebration (loppiainen, which could be understood as "the end day", "ending" or some such).

I still have lots of turkey and chocolates left! :)
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.