Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Long range docking computers?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

In part that's why I recently wrote the Traffic Control OXP, to try and help people with the delicate art of docking. There is a recommended way of doing it (flying to the station nav-buoy and then slowly towards the station) which will put you on the optimum flight path for the docking, all you need to do is match the rotation.

But the comment about people who may not have the ability to control the ship so precisely for whatever reason is a valid one, although arguably a little delicate to use in some cases.

The other option would be to have the "long version" automated docking as standard, with the docking computers just adding the "short version" that goes straight to the break pattern (ie so the ship will self-dock, but without the computers it takes ages).
Last edited by Thargoid on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Welcome to the boards Commander Old

I think that making the docking computer standard would be as big a leap away from Elite as one can make. Yes, some are frustrated by not being able to dock at the beginning, but that is just part of the learning curve. In the same sense, we could add military lasers, ECM and naval shields as default, because many players at the beginning get frustrated at how easy it is to lose in combat. But I don't think we really want to do that.

Having said that, the good news with Oolite is that save files are just plain text. It only takes Notepad and thirty seconds worth of editing to add Docking Computers and other pieces of kit, if you so desire. So everyone can enjoy the game as they see fit.
Commander Old
Poor
Poor

Post by Commander Old »

Thanks for the welcome, guys.
I know about the "Saved commander" editing-and how to access it and save it etc, what I not know is how to insert technology-I thought it was a "money" hack only. Can you enlighten me, please.
As for demands for adding ECM etc as standard ruining the game-well-I would argue that the lack of these do not prevent you playing the game anywhere near as much as not being able to enter a space station-and quite rightly-should never be included as standard. If someone wants to go that way all they have to do is employ the money hack and buy the stuff!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Commander Old wrote:
I know about the "Saved commander" editing-and how to access it and save it etc, what I not know is how to insert technology-I thought it was a "money" hack only. Can you enlighten me, please.
It is really very easy. I assume you are on Windows and Oolite v1.71.2. Start Oolite and save your game immediately. Then, in a text editor, open the file with the name you used to save. You will find it in [OoliteInstallDir]\oolite.app\oolite-saves. You will see these lines amongst other stuff in there:

Code: Select all

<key>has_docking_computer</key>
    <false/>
    <key>has_ecm</key>
    <false/>
    <key>has_energy_bomb</key>
    <false/>
    <key>has_escape_pod</key>
    <false/>
    <key>has_fuel_injection</key>
    <false/>
    <key>has_galactic_hyperdrive</key>
    <false/>
    <key>has_scoop</key>
    <false/>
If you change any of the <false/> lines to <true/>, the corresponding equipment will become available when you load this game. To get docking computers, the related lines should look like this:

Code: Select all

<key>has_docking_computer</key>
    <true/>
Commander Old
Poor
Poor

Post by Commander Old »

Many thanks for that actually, I am running Ooolite under Linux-a new convert!- but have managed to find the necessary file: Oolite.app/Oolite-saves.
Thanks again for the help, guys, hope i can return the favour to some poor new "Commander Jameson" sometime.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

You could also follow some of Mr Gimlet's advice on the various ways you can obtain a better-equipped vessel from the beginning in-game...
Commander Old
Poor
Poor

Post by Commander Old »

Thanks for that. .Very interesting. The idea of selling a brand new Cobra III for a second hand one is one idea that never occurred to me !
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Long range docking computers

Post by Commander McLane »

Commander Old wrote:
Another consideration is that elderly and disabled people are often excluded from the game as they have not the ability to control a ship so precisely.
I wonder what Star Gazer and TGHC would say to that...

Anyway, I actually don't see what the difficulty with docking is in the first place. The only two things you have to do is (1) to line up with the docking bay and (2) to match your rotation to the station. And voilà, you're there.

I have to admit that the first thing--lining up--was kind of difficult in the old days, because the wire models of stations didn't make it easy to establish whether you were correctly lined up. But with Oolite (1) we are way beyond the age of wire models and (2) navigation buoys were introduced and placed conveniently exactly in front of the docking bay, for the sole purpose of helping pilots to line up perfectly. So the only thing you have to do is to get somewhere exactly on the line between buoy and bay. And that shouldn't be so hard. You have a front view which allows you to check your lining up with the docking bay, and a rear view which allows you to check your lining up with the navigation buoy.

So only the second part--matching your rotation--is an issue in Oolite. This does admittedly need some fiddling with your controls, but you only need very little practise to do it sufficiently for getting a Cobra 3 into the bay. (Hint: the faster you are, the less chances are for scratching your hull, simply because the docking ring animation will have already started before the station rotates unto you.)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Long range docking computers

Post by TGHC »

Commander McLane wrote:
Commander Old wrote:
Another consideration is that elderly and disabled people are often excluded from the game as they have not the ability to control a ship so precisely.
I wonder what Star Gazer and TGHC would say to that...
Even if I get Terets Syndrome and Parkinsons disease I'll still be able to manually dock with my eyes shut.............. "Nursie......... it's time to change my bag"
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

There was a bug I exploited in the C-64 version of Elite, that I discovered by accident.

When the Thargs ambushed me in witchspace, I'd turn the docking computer on. It would lock onto and track the nearest Tharg battleship, and I could just stand by on the laser trigger and rip a burst into the Tharg when he fell into the sights. When he blew, the DC would track the next one.
Lather, rince, repeat till all the battleships were trashed, then turn the DC off, scoop the dead Tharglets, and if I had the fuel jump to the nearest system.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
gogz69
Deadly
Deadly

Post by gogz69 »

Cmdr Wyvern wrote:
There was a bug I exploited in the C-64 version of Elite, that I discovered by accident.
Interesting, i may have to pull the old girl out to try this. :wink:
Screet
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Screet »

Micha wrote:
I fondly remember my first ever Thargoid encounter - I had no idea what it was. It didn't fire at me, just spawned the little Thargons. They didn't shoot either, just flew around me. Then I got called to dinner. Still a looong way from the planet, I optimistically turned on the autopilot and went. No surprise, I came back to a 'Game Over' screen :)
You should have tried that in Witchspace! The neat thing of the C64 autopilot was, that it locked on to the most massive thing - and that were the Thargoid motherships. The autopilot was neither able to dock/crash with that ship, nor put it into your sights so that you could fire, but all the time followed the ships movement. The Thargoid attempts evasive and the AP follows. That was quite handsome in situations where the shields were down....just engage AP and relax until it's better ;) Occasionally, they got me though, when I did that...but it was a pretty nice thing to have.

Screet