Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Is there a development HOWTO for OSX?

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I think you are building for osx 10.3.9 and have not installed the right options for xcode to be able to do so.

What osx are you using, and which xcode (is it the latest?)? I think its quite easy to change the target osx: go to Project (on the toolbar) -> Edit Project settings -> build tab -> then change base SDK

I normally build "Debug" instead of testrelease, so you might want to try changing that first (not siure if test release has any extra complexity).
AndyG
Poor
Poor

Post by AndyG »

AndyG wrote:
What am I doing wrong please?
Just in case it helps somebody else one day - what I was doing wrong was not installing the 10.3.9 "backwards compatibility" SDK as part of the Xcode installer.

Although I am now getting a link error for the TestRelease config (debug and deployment are ok):

Code: Select all

Building target “Oolite” of project “Oolite” with configuration “TestRelease” — (1 error)
	    cd /Users/andy_garton/SRC/Oolite
    setenv MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.3
    /Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -arch ppc -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk -L/Users/andy_garton/SRC/Oolite/build/TestRelease -L/Users/andy_garton/SRC/Oolite/deps/Cocoa-deps/SCRDynamicShim/bin -F/Users/andy_garton/SRC/Oolite/build/TestRelease -F/Users/andy_garton/SRC/Oolite/deps/Cocoa-deps -filelist /Users/andy_garton/SRC/Oolite/build/Oolite.build/TestRelease/Oolite.build/Objects-normal/ppc/Oolite.LinkFileList -exported_symbols_list src/Cocoa/debug-exports.exp -mmacosx-version-min=10.3 -Wl,-dead_strip "/Users/andy_garton/SRC/Oolite/deps/Cocoa-deps/Ogg Vorbis/libOgg.a" "/Users/andy_garton/SRC/Oolite/deps/Cocoa-deps/Ogg Vorbis/libVorbisAll.a" -framework Carbon -framework Cocoa -framework OpenGL -framework CoreAudio -framework AudioToolbox -framework AudioUnit -lpng -lz /Users/andy_garton/SRC/Oolite/build/TestRelease/libjs.a -o /Users/andy_garton/SRC/Oolite/build/Oolite.build/TestRelease/Oolite.build/Objects-normal/ppc/Oolite
Undefined symbols:
  "_sprintf$LDBLStub", referenced from:
      _cvt_f in libjs.a(jsprf.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
		  "_sprintf$LDBLStub", referenced from:
		      _cvt_f in libjs.a(jsprf.o)
		ld: symbol(s) not found
		collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Build failed (1 error)
I'll plod on, but anybody any ideas as to why this might be by any chance?
AndyG
Poor
Poor

Post by AndyG »

Cmdr James wrote:
I think you are building for osx 10.3.9 and have not installed the right options for xcode to be able to do so.

What osx are you using, and which xcode (is it the latest?)? I think its quite easy to change the target osx: go to Project (on the toolbar) -> Edit Project settings -> build tab -> then change base SDK

I normally build "Debug" instead of testrelease, so you might want to try changing that first (not siure if test release has any extra complexity).
Cross posted, thanks. It was basically as you say. Interestingly "Debug" does work out of the box without the 10.3.9 SDK, but TestRelease needs it.