Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Newb journal and question about play balance

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

PsychotropicDog
Above Average
Above Average

Post by PsychotropicDog »

Well, my inept findings were -

either something in eagle2, or blackmonks was a burden (or I reached a limit). It was odd because the FPS showed less objects and collisions and half the framerate I previously enjoyed, so I figure it was an AI thing. I left the black monks in, because it is well, amusing.

I ended up removing planetinfo.plist from eagle2, which had the 15 eagles and a test for number of ships which looked suspiciously like something that would test after every jump and not after just the one jump to Zoance, and also like a test left in to see them. I fought them once, that was enough :D

Seems to be running ok, but to be safe I then took out Assassins, Thargoid wars and Lovecats. I don't have deposed or Ionics ( Sure I'll grab them eventually), and clearskies I took out, because of the new shaders in 1.68 and 1.69

I am really looking forward to A_H's oxp.

hmm, I have gone a day without really playing, just testing, but I have discovered some really nice external views from the Drake (Wolfwood's variants), so I swapped out 'external view - below' for an up view, which I now have to figure out how to move the camera further away. ( the Drake's scoop camera might be usefull )
Which reminds me, I better search for a 'universal external views' suggestion.
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

whoops. that was a mission? i turned down the trumble thingie. after all, anything that has any resemblence to a tribble when i have food aboard? i don't think so!!!
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

nijineko wrote:
whoops. that was a mission? i turned down the trumble thingie. after all, anything that has any resemblence to a tribble when i have food aboard? i don't think so!!!
Go on....
You know you want one. Just one.
One cute and fluffy little Trumbloid to share the long haul between stations. Calming to you with a placid <proot> (before eating the life-support computer interface).
EVERYBODY needs just one Trumble in their lives.
Buy yours now for just Cr30 at any reputable dealer or the less-reputable grey felinoid in the Rusty Python over here.:wink:

Captain Hesperus
sponsored by the 'Trumbles aren't all *that* bad' campaign.
The truth, revealed!!
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Trumbles are sometimes offered when you purchase a new ship... and sometimes you may find the little buggers hiding in a salvaged cargo container.

In which case, fire up the gally grill, broil the trumble till it stops making noise, then slap it on a bun with liberal amounts of BBQ sauce, killer goat cheese, and eat with a glass of chilled Onatian Bloodwine. mmm, Tasty.
The Capt'n is correct; trumbles aren't all that bad, when properly cooked.

Or if reptilian deep-space recipies don't quite appeal, you can try the old solar radiation vermin burner trick.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor