Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Books

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

Gareth3377 wrote:
Additionally - the orignal Red Dwarf novel 'Infinity Welcomes Careful Driver' has an ace sci-fi theme to it (ok it's not exactly Elitish, but if you read it you'll know what I mean).
I am still wondering when someone is going to do the Red Dwarf ship from the first 5 series for an OXP. Including weird shuttles and quirky hails...

Wish I had the time and the skills :?

-Oscar
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

ovvldc wrote:
Gareth3377 wrote:
Additionally - the orignal Red Dwarf novel 'Infinity Welcomes Careful Driver' has an ace sci-fi theme to it (ok it's not exactly Elitish, but if you read it you'll know what I mean).
I am still wondering when someone is going to do the Red Dwarf ship from the first 5 series for an OXP. Including weird shuttles and quirky hails...

Wish I had the time and the skills :?

-Oscar
It would actually be a very easy thing to make, having it primarily as a hexagonal polygon, bump-mapped for all the surface detail. And as for the hails:
"Emergency! Emergency! There's an emrgency going on! It's still going on! It's still an Emergency! This is an Emergency Announcement!"

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
"Emergency! Emergency! There's an emrgency going on! It's still going on! It's still an Emergency! This is an Emergency Announcement!"

Captain Hesperus
Along with

"Rude alert! Rude alert! An electrical fire has knocked out my voice-recognition unicycle! Many Wurlitzers are missing from my database! Abandon shop! This is not a daffodil! Repeat: This is not a daffodil! "

and

"Abandon ship! Abandon Ship! This is not a drill! This is a drill <whirr whirr>"

:lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Captain Hesperus

drew wrote:
Captain Hesperus wrote:

Captain Hesperus
Along with

"Rude alert! Rude alert! An electrical fire has knocked out my voice-recognition unicycle! Many Wurlitzers are missing from my database! Abandon shop! This is not a daffodil! Repeat: This is not a daffodil! "

and

"Abandon ship! Abandon Ship! This is not a drill! This is a drill <whirr whirr>"

:lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
"Boarding this ship is considered an act of war, ergo we surrender totally and unconditionally...."

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

"Its Queeg, he's taking the smeg! Look what he's given me for dinner: a pea on toast!"

"This is mutany Mr Queeg. I'll see you hang from the highest yardarm in Titan docking port for this day's work."

"A computer's gotta do what a computer's got to do Dave."

"If you'll parden the confruntational imperative: 'Go for you guns you scum sucking molascs!"

"They're dead Dave. Everybody's dead!"

"I am a fish!"

"We'll always have Parrots. I ain't any good at been noble, but it don't take much to see that the problems of one droid and two mutants don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy old cosmos."

:wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

"It was grit. Grit on the scanner scope. You see, the thing about space is...it's black. And the thing about grit is... it's black! So how are you supposed to see 'em?"

Doing The Dwarf has always been a big TO DO for me. It's not as easy as it sounds though. The basic hull is easy - as stated it's a hexagonal cross section, tapered at front and back, with a huge exhaust and a scoppy thing at the front. Unfortunately, it has hundreds of greeblies all over it (the designers basically took bits of sprue from any model kit they could find and stuck them on), plus a whacking great asteroid hanging out of one side.

One of the reasons that the ship wasn't in seasons 6 onwards is that they blew up thier only model for the S5 episode Demons and Angels and couldn't recreate it! The "reimagined" version was as thier way of getting round the fact that they couldn't remake the original. So if a team of professional CGI artists gave up I don't feel so bad for being scared of trying it.

However, a usable Oolite version shouldn't be quite so hard. If one can obtain decent screenshots of the sides then maybe a decent texture could be made...
Captain Hesperus

Selezen wrote:
Doing The Dwarf has always been a big TO DO for me. It's not as easy as it sounds though. The basic hull is easy - as stated it's a hexagonal cross section, tapered at front and back, with a huge exhaust and a scoppy thing at the front. Unfortunately, it has hundreds of greeblies all over it (the designers basically took bits of sprue from any model kit they could find and stuck them on), plus a whacking great asteroid hanging out of one side.
Looking carefully at the Dwarf, there is what appears to be a frontdoor bell on the top side.
I suppose hacking into the hexagon and adding one of Charlie's Asteroids wouldn't work?
Selezen wrote:
One of the reasons that the ship wasn't in seasons 6 onwards is that they blew up thier only model for the S5 episode Demons and Angels and couldn't recreate it! The "reimagined" version was as thier way of getting round the fact that they couldn't remake the original. So if a team of professional CGI artists gave up I don't feel so bad for being scared of trying it.
Yeah, if professionals couldn't bash together a convincing model, part-time designers shouldn't really feel lessened by the idea.
Selezen wrote:
However, a usable Oolite version shouldn't be quite so hard. If one can obtain decent screenshots of the sides then maybe a decent texture could be made...
That could be a challenge, all I can find are the CGI 'flying red cigar' version, not the 'chunky red dust bin'.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Not wanting to de-rail the creative part of this thread, but my favourite Red Dwarf Line ever is

Cat (Singing) : My stomach has been pumped and now I'm hungry...! What's to eat?
Lister (Consoling Rimmer) Shhhhh! Rimmer's Dad's just died!
Cat (After a moment of reflection) : Well, I'd prefer chicken!

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Finding reference photos of the Dwarf is proving bloody hard.

I may have to dig out the series 1 and 2 DVDs and do some screengrabs...

I'm quite tempted to do this now. Time permitting as always. If I can get the screengrabs I'll upload them for eveyone to use. I've already modelled the shape of the main front section (six-sided cylinder and a little rescaling) during my lunch hour. I can see a few subentities being needed (e.g. one for each forward scoop section).
Captain Hesperus

Selezen wrote:
Finding reference photos of the Dwarf is proving bloody hard.

I may have to dig out the series 1 and 2 DVDs and do some screengrabs...

I'm quite tempted to do this now. Time permitting as always. If I can get the screengrabs I'll upload them for eveyone to use. I've already modelled the shape of the main front section (six-sided cylinder and a little rescaling) during my lunch hour. I can see a few subentities being needed (e.g. one for each forward scoop section).
I knew the temptation would be too great for you....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Oh, you know me...the to-do list is never long enough... ;-)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Selezen wrote:
Oh, you know me...the to-do list is never long enough... ;-)
Right on.