I cannot add OXP for the life of me.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Battlebitz
Average
Average

Post by Battlebitz »

Permissions is in my name forsure and Access is definitly set to "read and write". It should work, shouldn't it, never the less...."AddOns cannot be modified."
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

In order for the permissions to be changeable, you must use the (short) user name of the logged-in user. This is a Finder issue, not an Oolite issue; there is nothing the file can do to change this.

The alternative is to use the terminal: log in as an administrator, open Terminal (in Applications/Utilities/), type “sudo chmod 777", drag the folder to the terminal window. The path to the folder should appear after the command, something like “/Applications/Oolite/AddOns”. Press enter. Then enter your (administrator) password when prompted. Note: this will give all users read/write access to the folder.
Battlebitz
Average
Average

Post by Battlebitz »

Well I am using the short user name that is required of me, read and write appears to be activated, although I cannot adjust this setting, but AddOns cannot be modified. I will try your other suggestion. Thanks, eh.
Battlebitz
Average
Average

Post by Battlebitz »

So i opened terminal and typed in "sudo chmod 777" , then I draged the AddOns folder into the terminal, a path appeared, like you predicted. Apon pressing enter I was informed that no such file or folder exists. I tried the same process, only dragging the entire Oolite folder in, just to try it. I was told the same thing. No such file or folder exists.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

That’s… pretty damn strange.
Battlebitz
Average
Average

Post by Battlebitz »

i guess I'll have to imagine that Oolite looks as real as the original program was envisioned to look. Thankfully I have a vivid imagination. And thanks for trying to help me out.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Be a shame to miss out on all the OXPs! (as this is most of the game - Oolite 18 Megs - OXPs in my AddOns folder - 178 Megs :D ).

Perhaps there was some sort of mess-up when you installed. If you backup your save-files (there in the OoliteSaves folder), then uninstall Oolite and do a reinstall (perhaps using a new download in case there was somthing up with the download file), maybe that'll fix it. I don't use the Mac but maybe you need to be set up as the Administarator before the folder is created?

Somethings up as Oolite was written for the Mac first, so the Mac version should really be the most stable.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

what about reinstalling Oolite? Maybe something voodooish went wrong?
Battlebitz
Average
Average

Post by Battlebitz »

Wait...Whats this...
I pulled the Oolite file off of the hard drive and onto the desktop.
I ejected Oolite from the hard drive. No longer mounted.
I added my OXP to the AddOns folder with out incident.
I opened Oolite......

Fuck Thats a Beautifull Cobra!!!!!!!
Where can I find new stations!!!!
Can we made the planets prettier?!!!!
How about the back ground stars, the lazers the sounds....
Im playing Oolite all day from the outside view man.....!

YAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

…ah.
Yes, the disk image it is distributed on is non-writeable. Copying it to your hard disk is the normal procedure. :-)
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

For Stations check: Torus Stations.oxp, Globe Stations.oxp, Military Stations.oxp, Gritty Corollis etc (all on Oosat1). 8) Heck, download all the ships and missions whilst you're there! For planets: (blush modestly), theres 13 multi-planeted systems with nebuals in Assassins.oxp (on Oosat2) and try the pulsar.oxp for a pulsar.

Oosat2 is here:-

http://oosat.alioth.net/

Oosat1 is here:-

http://capnhack.com/hosting/oolite/Oolite/OoSat.html

If the same OXP is on both sites, use the version on Oosat2 as this will be the most up to date one.

Download customsounds from this link. (that's a must install OXP! :wink: )

(thread & download) : https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=30
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.