Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Weapons: A combateer's review

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Jinx999
Above Average
Above Average

Plasma cannons

Post by Jinx999 »

You can't buy plasma cannpons anymore. However, you can get them by editing the save game file. IIRC, you have to change the weapon equiped to 2 (anyway, it's one less than if you have a pulse laser).
Cmdr Monte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cmdr Monte »

Why are they particulary useful for hardened missiles? I hacked a save game file and gave myself a plasma cannon for a laugh. It was slooooooooow and didn't seem to be implememented quite right. It caused big multicoloured plumes of plasma all over the place, I couldn't see the viper I was shooting at after I'd hit it more than three times.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Although basicaly useless for attacking ships, the trusty cannon fired out blasts of plasma all over the place! As a missile has no shields, spewing out plasma from your rear gun was pretty effective against a circiling Hard Head Missile.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

now that would be good if it could be used in conjunction with a rear miltary laser.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Jaketherock
Harmless
Harmless

Post by Jaketherock »

I am running 1.65 mac and I had to hack one of the built-in plists, but now the Plasma cannon shows up everywhere for 200 credits.

But don't ask, I cannot remember what I did.