A game so good that ...

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: A game so good that ...

Post by spud42 »

love it.. a most remarkable man was Mr Adams.
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Alex
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Alex »

Don't think you can trade mark a common word or letter for that matter, if you can, I have dibbs on 'e' and 'E'. So there may be a court case there, as I may or may not have heard a rumour that someone else put in for dibbs on that particular letter.

Couldn't agree more about Hitchhikers.
Wonder what would have happened if Mr Adams had collaborated with Mr Pratchett to write a few books? My two favourite authors.
I'm very new to eBooks. One of the first things I always do when moving to a new area is find and join the local library, remember them? Free books without the need to put up shelving. And if they don't have the one you want, ask nice and they will.

Don't think there is any game I would buy a computer for, though I have just bought a graphics card so I can play Witcher. Trouble with that is I need a new PSU to be able to use the graphics card, Oh and I think I'll need more RAM, Wonder if my CPU is up to it? Maybe I should up grade my Intel i7?

What was that about buying a computer to play a game?
LOOK OUT!!!
OOPS..
"Press Space" Commander
If you do not see "Press Space" more often than you want.. Your not trying!
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Alex wrote:
Don't think there is any game I would buy a computer for, though I have just bought a graphics card so I can play Witcher. Trouble with that is I need a new PSU to be able to use the graphics card, Oh and I think I'll need more RAM, Wonder if my CPU is up to it? Maybe I should up grade my Intel i7?

What was that about buying a computer to play a game?
its an addictive bug my friend....
if you join OCAU( overclockers australia) after a 3 month wait you have access to the buy/sell part of the forum. there are always guys in WA selling off kit. very reasonable prices too.. i believe that most of my current rig was purchased through the forums as well as a lot of water cooling kit i have waiting to install , when i can get around to it.
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
toudi_sk
Competent
Competent

Post by toudi_sk »

oh, no more SPACEPLANS please :mrgreen:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

It is rather embarrassing to have to admit that Oolite is the only game that I've come across that I would buy a computer for.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Alex wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:14 pm
What are you up to?

I have a graphics card, too. And I have a PSU that supports the graphics card. Oh, and I have RAM. And my CPU is an Intel i7 as well. It is sufficient to play most games I came across.

What else do you need?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:20 pm
Alex wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:14 pm
What are you up to?

I have a graphics card, too. And I have a PSU that supports the graphics card. Oh, and I have RAM. And my CPU is an Intel i7 as well. It is sufficient to play most games I came across.

What else do you need?
Alex was writing back 5 years ago... if you read some of his old posts you will get a better picture of his problems.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:48 pm
hiran wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:20 pm
What else do you need?
Alex was writing back 5 years ago... if you read some of his old posts you will get a better picture of his problems.
Oh, you are right. I missed that part.
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

"It's unpleasantly like being drunk, Arthur"
" What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
"Ask a glass of water"
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

As for the OP if you want to see the full impact of VR you need a good PC + GPU. Once these are in place try Elite Dangerous or No Mans Sky
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

NigelJK wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:28 pm
As for the OP if you want to see the full impact of VR you need a good PC + GPU. Once these are in place try Elite Dangerous or No Mans Sky
Well, my killer game (the one that usually would make me upgrade my PC) is a flight simulator.
Last time, when I thought about getting VR I went to the shops to check out available equipment and was shocked:

As soon as you put on VR goggles, you can no longer use your keyboard. But the keyboard and more is what most games support, and not seeing them is a no-go.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:56 pm
As soon as you put on VR goggles, you can no longer use your keyboard.
I've heard that about a few VR games (E:D is one of them). Some of these you can really only use VR with a full HOTAS setup.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Yeah, it's all or nothing! VR would probably wreck my poor old eyes!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

I have a Rift and a Quest 2. For E: D I use a Logitech Gamepad F710, the only keyboard control I have is the spacebar for shield boosters and I can find that by touch.

NMS works fine with the controllers for both, in fact I would say that they have mostly 'cracked' the issue with some novel solutions. e.g. to equip yourself you reach over you back and grab from your 'rucksack'.

Frontier are, I think, working toward that same kind of interface as Odyssey has no VR yet. Apparently it is causing them some difficulties in 'control'.

Edited to add that with the Q2 you can tap the side of the headset to open the forward facing cameras and see the world outside.
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

I can honestly say that each time I come into one of the stations in E: D in VR I'm truly awestruck. Something I've wished for since 1984.