Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Confusing?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Confusing?

Post by Cody »

Smivs wrote:
Escape pod translates as 'Tinned Food' in Thargoid
<chortles> On the subject of tinned food, have a tin of spam!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Huntress
Dangerous
Dangerous
Location: Carman, MB, Canada (can't believe I spelt my town's name wrong...oops!)

Post by Huntress »

Well then, good thing ______ comes along and... sorry. You're gonna have to wait until I write more of it. Wrote maybe a hundred words, but those are the best darned hundred words I ever wrote.
"My goal this weekend is to move... just enough so that people don't think I'm dead." -Anonymous
Huntress
Dangerous
Dangerous
Location: Carman, MB, Canada (can't believe I spelt my town's name wrong...oops!)

Post by Huntress »

Once again, it seems that I need some assistance. As I'm technically a minor, :wink: I have to ask - What types of alcoholic beverages found in the six galaxies are notable/popular?
"My goal this weekend is to move... just enough so that people don't think I'm dead." -Anonymous
Cody

Post by Cody »

Huntress wrote:
I have to ask - What types of alcoholic beverages found in the six galaxies are notable/popular?
Take a demerit, young lady - there are eight galaxies. There are several varieties of evil juice, lethal brandy, etc, but it's hard to list them. My liquor of choice is Zaquessoian Evil Juice, but Teverian Evil Juice is also good! Someone can probably extract such stuff from a database or something, but not I.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

There are five base types of beverage:
"juice", "brandy", "water", "brew", "gargle blasters"
Each of these is described by one or two of:
- the planet's name
- the beverage's specific name
- one of the adjectives "killer", "deadly", "evil", "lethal", "vicious"
In theory a much wider range of adjectives is possible but they don't occur in practice.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

If two ships were in two systems close to one another, like 4 light years apart, and both ships programmed their next destination as the other system, and they each decided to witchjump at the same time, and by some sort of coincidence both experience a witchdrive malfunction at the same time, would they meet each other in space, however high the odds are against them? And if they didn't, would they be able to meet each other eventually? Food for thought. :wink:
I think such an eventuality would create a singularity or a paradox and as you know (at least according temporal astrophysics) Such a paradox or singularity would break the Ooniverse irreparably.

My advice..Steer clear of synchronizations. Because extrapolating this .. You may come across yourself flying at you.guns blazing, and if you are iron assed you don't stand a chance against yourself, Further if you get cancelled by you . both of you end up cancelled and that's not remotely fun... You see the can of worms you have opened here ? :lol:
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

In addition to evil juices and lethal brandy's, several worlds are notable for their various kinds of vicious brews. Some planets are famous for their gargle blasters, although I know not if these are intoxicating or invigorating. Perhaps both and at the same time! My favourite bevy is called a Comet Tail. I'm not sure, but I think it is a mix of Teaatisian vicious brew and Inzalodi gargle blaster.

My apologies to Cim who beat me to posting.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Of course, if this is for fiction, then the Ooniverse is your oyster - pick a planet, and invent a nefarious liquor that this particular world is famous for.
If you look at the texts from pagroove's excellent Famous Planets OXP, you'll find expanded planet descriptions - they might be helpful.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Duggan wrote:
I think such an eventuality would create a singularity or a paradox and as you know (at least according temporal astrophysics) Such a paradox or singularity would break the Ooniverse irreparably.

My advice..Steer clear of synchronizations.
My advice?

It's your story, do whatever the hell you want with it.. when you need some handwavium to explain/justify events, just ask us.. as you've seen, we have a number of handwavium champions here.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Cody wrote:
Someone can probably extract such stuff from a database or something, but not I.
There will be a clever way to do it, but you can just go to the Galaxy pages on the wiki, e.g.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite ... t/Galaxy_1

and do a text search for "brandy", "brew", "juice", "water" and "gargle". Alternatively, do like CaptSolo, and enlarge the ooniverse with your own creations ...
Huntress
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Huntress »

Duggan wrote:
My advice..Steer clear of synchronizations. Because extrapolating this .. You may come across yourself flying at you.guns blazing, and if you are iron assed you don't stand a chance against yourself, Further if you get cancelled by you . both of you end up cancelled and that's not remotely fun... You see the can of worms you have opened here ? :lol:
:lol: Yeah, probably wouldn't be able to make it out of that one! Then again, who knows? Technically, we'd have the same qualities, so we'd either hate or like each other, which in that case there'd be a fifty-fifty chance of survival! :D

Anyway, writing a story is much harder than it seems. There are so many different ways to do it! I have a newfound appreciation for writers everywhere.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Misjumping between 2 systems as-is can result in different exit locations going from A->B than B->A. Rounding errors and whatnot. This isn't always the case -- probably the exception in fact -- but happens enough that you'd have to test multiple systems to find a pair that does this.