Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

What else did we play when Elite was king?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: What else did we play when Elite was king?

Post by Norby »

Simcity, Test Drive, the mentioned Mercenary, Revs, Tir Na Nog, Saboteur.
Then Civilization (a lot), F-19 Stealth Fighter, Railroad Tycoon.
Edit: Stunts also, was fun on an 10Mhz x86 when the FPS dropped to 1 in hairpin bends. :)
Last edited by Norby on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Giana Sisters, Wizard of Wor, Krakout, H.E.R.O, Wizball and Boulder Dash in addition to the aforementioned Gunship and Bard's Tales. I loved helicopter sims. After Gunship came Jane's Longbow and finally Enemy Engaged that has it's sourcecode liberated and which I still sometimes play.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

C64: Wizard of Wor, Elite & Bruce Lee. Amiga: Test Drive, Sidewinder, Attack of the Mutant Camels.

Amiga: A tramp steamer ship trading game I can't recall the name of. The trading aspect was almost identical to Elite, but actually better, and there was no distracting combat. Chose your destination port on a world map, bought some cargo, and off you went.
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Wildeblood wrote:
C64: Wizard of Wor, Elite & Bruce Lee. Amiga: Test Drive, Sidewinder, Attack of the Mutant Camels.

Amiga: A tramp steamer ship trading game I can't recall the name of. The trading aspect was almost identical to Elite, but actually better, and there was no distracting combat. Chose your destination port on a world map, bought some cargo, and off you went.
Ports of Call?
mossfoot
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mossfoot »

I suppose my favorite c64 games (where I played original Elite) were F15 strike eagle, Apache, airborne ranger... Um... I'm sensing a pattern here.

But really it was the same reason as I liked elite. A level of challenge and more importantly, verisimilitude.

Later platforms like my old Amiga did so in other ways, via roleplaying experiences like the gold box TSR D&D games, or Alone in the Dark.
--
Pilot: Mossfoot - Ship ID: Viaticus Rex (Cobra MKII)

http://www.noahchinnbooks.com/
Venator Dha
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Venator Dha »

On my BBC B, I spent a lot of time on Text adventures, typing in & debugging games from magazines then playing them for a while (sometimes less time than it took to get them running - I think I liked sorting out the problems and hunting the typo-bugs :lol: ), even started writing my own (silly) BASIC programs ( :wink: must be why I became a molecular biologist :? )

There wasn't another game that grabbed me the way Elite did, transporting me to another universe. I can't think of any other game that I would still be playing now! :D
Taurus Driving through the galaxy since... .
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

maik wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
Amiga: A tramp steamer ship trading game I can't recall the name of.
Ports of Call?
Yes. Thank you.
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

CaptSolo wrote:
I didn't play many computer games but did like the adventure / RPG style genre: Bard's Tale, Pool of Radiance, and Questron to name three. They offered a relaxing diversion from Elite.
Ah Pool of Radiance - and that's where I got my screen name from...
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
OSH
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by OSH »

When I've discovered ELITE in late 1995 (yeah very late, ELITE comes from 1984) on C-64 I can't even land on Lave Station. My first successful landing was in 1996. At that time I've played A.C.E., Last Ninja series, Boulder Dash, Bismarck, Beach Head, F-18 Hornet, F-14 Tomcat, Silent Service, Up Periscope, RISK, Continental Circus and many other games...
A4000 060/50, 16 MB RAM, A1200 E/BOX Tower, Apollo 1240/25 MHz 34 MB RAM, HDD 40 GB; LiteOn 52x32x52, A1200 E1230/40 18 MB RAM, CD-32+SX-1 10 MB RAM, A500, CDTV, A600, C-64, C-64+1541-II, C-64G, C-16
Still hunting in Edriuson (G3) for Deadly status...
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Wildeblood wrote:
maik wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
Amiga: A tramp steamer ship trading game I can't recall the name of.
Ports of Call?
Yes. Thank you.
Been playing that a lot myself.
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

Lords of Midnight - which, like Elite, later got remade with more advanced technology. I'm quite proud of myself that, given that UL has it that Lords of Midnight was thought to be unwinnable when first released, I found a winning line with just two weeks of playing. I downloaded a remake a few years back and found it just as enjoyable.

A little later there was an Amstrad CPC464 port of Gauntlet, the dungeon-bashing arcade game. It played really well, loaded extra levels from tape when necessary, and kept me amused for many, many hours.

Before I got Elite there was Interdictor Pilot, another space flight and combat game with a docking sequence to keep you amused. Ah, those Jahdran Aggressors, Gallanic Cruisers and especially the hated Meson Torpedoes...

Civilization came a lot later. I had a nasty Amstrad PC knock-off by then.
"Sidewinder Precision Pro" and other Oolite fiction is now available for Amazon Kindle at a bargain price.

Sidewinder Precision Pro ||Claymore Mine ||The Russian Creed ||One Jump Ahead

All titles also available in paperback.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Bugbear wrote:
CaptSolo wrote:
I didn't play many computer games but did like the adventure / RPG style genre: Bard's Tale, Pool of Radiance, and Questron to name three. They offered a relaxing diversion from Elite.
Ah Pool of Radiance - and that's where I got my screen name from...
Ah yes, the Bugbears! My magic user would cast a Charm Monster spell on one which would make him fight for my party.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

i played Elite on a friends Amiga 500. we also played World Class Leader Board a lot......

pc wise would be might and magic one of the first 2 or 3 games i think it was. i found a buggy tile because i was always into completely exploring the maps. it ruined the game cause if you stepped on this one particular square it teleported you to the near end game which you wernt in any way prepared for...

also Links LS, Star Control II, wolfenstine, doom etc....
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Bugbear »

CaptSolo wrote:
Ah yes, the Bugbears! My magic user would cast a Charm Monster spell on one which would make him fight for my party.
You know it still plays nicely on Dosbox...where's that decoder wheel...
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
Aycheff
Average
Average

Post by Aycheff »

Somehow I missed the first three incarnations of Elite (shocker, I know), but the first computer we had in the house growing up was a TRS-80 (Model 1 - Level 2) and I remember spending much time playing Pyramid 2000 (text adventure) and Invasion Force (Trek 80 clone, I think).

In the early/mid 90 on my own computer, I played a lot of Commander Keen (and ones similar to it), and an ASCII-graphics based adventure game called ZZT. ZZT included it's own board editor and O-O language to allow others to create worlds for it. I think a lot of this community could relate to that.

HF