Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Random Hits docking

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Random Hits docking

Post by spara »

Cody wrote:
spara wrote:
It's up to the player to decide if they want to pay 20 mins in game time.
Insta-dock can avoid fines if Docking Clearance Protocol is enabled (I'd rather like to see DCP enabled as default, as it happens).
Really :shock: . That sounds more like a bug than a feature.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<nods>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Smivs wrote:
No, I'm sorry, but if it's one of my stations you are approaching, you will have to fly a bit :wink:
Heh. I see your point. Most of the stations in the oxps that I currently maintain are there to be visited again and again. And from that point of view I can see the need for insta-dock. Maybe the first docking in _any_ station would need to be in slo-mo :mrgreen: .
Potential Debris
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Potential Debris »

But insta-dock is the slowest form of docking...it takes 20 minutes of game time
Game time is cheap. Real time is precious.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Potential Debris wrote:
But insta-dock is the slowest form of docking...it takes 20 minutes of game time
Game time is cheap. Real time is precious.
Ain't going to argue with that! :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

spara wrote:
Cody wrote:
Insta-dock can avoid fines if Docking Clearance Protocol is enabled (I'd rather like to see DCP enabled as default, as it happens).
Actually it is not a bug. Activating the docking computer automatically and transparently requests docking clearance, which is immediately granted for gameplay reasons.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

another_commander wrote:
spara wrote:
Cody wrote:
Actually it is not a bug. Activating the docking computer automatically and transparently requests docking clearance, which is immediately granted for gameplay reasons.
Yes. And the 20 minutes goes in requesting the docking clearance, waiting in line and finally docking in. Makes sense all right. However it would be a nice feature of DCP to force the player to request the docking clearance before insta-dock can be activated. I would find it game wise more engaging.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Any chance someone could write a docking computer AI that will head straight for the space in front of the docking aperture on full injector burn, scattering NPCs left and right with angry messages, then correct at the last moment and land safely? Now that's a docking experience I would enjoy.
Sounds like a good idea for a docking computers upgrade.
When I was a beginner, I used insta-dock for the same reasons as Potential Debris - real life time is precious!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

another_commander wrote:
spara wrote:
Cody wrote:
The thing is, since 1.80, you get fines for more than just docking violations. Being an Offender with a few credits bounty will earn you a fine on docking (along with having your record cleansed), and if I'm understanding Cody correctly, insta-dock lets you dodge the penalty you'd otherwise incur for being an Offender..

So definitely a bug, IMO.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
... if I'm understanding Cody correctly, insta-dock lets you dodge the penalty you'd otherwise incur for being an Offender..
I ain't too sure about dodging offender/fugitive penalties - and I cannot check atm. I'd be very surprised if it did.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Potential Debris wrote:
Any chance someone could write a docking computer AI that will head straight for the space in front of the docking aperture on full injector burn
I have a co-pilot idea who handle the rudder while the throttle is under your control, so you are free to ignite injectors and slow only if something is in your way. There is a steering code in Telescope OXP what I must improve with ballistic calculations to predict the flight path but I think you will have a good chance to land in the dock even if using injectors. ;)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Smivs wrote:
I can only speak for myself, but I have not activated fast docking on any stations in my own OXPs. I personally don't like it.
I fully agree. When auto_dock became available for mission stations, I decided to not enable it for the spacebars. But maybe Little Bear has a complete different opinion on this. I also think it was a shame that he removed the rotation of the station after some people complaining that they had difficulties to dock. For none-rotating, I see no reason why anybody wants to auto_dock. :)
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Diziet Sma wrote:
.. if I'm understanding Cody correctly, insta-dock lets you dodge the penalty you'd otherwise incur for being an Offender..

So definitely a bug, IMO.
As far as I remember, you still are fined. However, it are the patrolling police ships that activate the fine while scanning nearby ships. And the shorter you hang around the station, the lower the chance that you are fined.

One could add a chance of being fined when using the fast_dock option. Being fine is not always bad because your criminal record is cleared also. It is only bad when on a time sensitive trip.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Eric Walch wrote:
As far as I remember, you still are fined. However, it are the patrolling police ships that activate the fine while scanning nearby ships. And the shorter you hang around the station, the lower the chance that you are fined.
Ahh.. I didn't realise that was how it worked.. thanks for the explanation. 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Eric Walch wrote:
When auto_dock became available for mission stations, I decided to not enable it for the spacebars. But maybe Little Bear has a complete different opinion on this. I also think it was a shame that he removed the rotation of the station after some people complaining that they had difficulties to dock. For none-rotating, I see no reason why anybody wants to auto_dock. :)
Just to be clear with this. It's all the same to me as I don't like the DC in the first place :) . But I can see that it appeals to many. And that's fine. The logical problem I'm having here is that I don't see Space Bars as mission stations. In 1.80 they behave quite close to the main station. They are persistently there and you can save at them. So in my game, if they don't allow fast-dock, it's a glitch. One part of the game works differently than other. Oh well, all the same :) , it would be kind of lame to fast-dock, when there is a boss raid going on...