Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Passenger missions approach.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Falcon777
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Passenger missions approach.

Post by Falcon777 »

Aye to this. The combination of courier and passenger berths is very interesting. Planning your routes in chart 5 mayhap be a bit harder/easier than in some of the others. On the one hand, you really don't have many choices as to which way you are going to go as once you are on one end of the galaxy, there's usually only one run going to the other end that is profitable. However, the interesting thing comes in when you attempt to add in extra passengers/parcel missions that are just one or two jumps off of your route. Things can get a little tight near the end of the run, but the profit is pretty darn good.
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

Oy vey iz mir. Passenger carrying has got nasty in 1.80. After some milk runs in a Python - and noticing that I was getting a lot of greedy pirates - I thought I'd try what had worked so well in 1.77 and bought myself some passenger cabins. But most passengers are too high-toned and snooty to travel with me, it's wicked hard to get your combat rating up, I've barely managed to pull my passenger rep up in a run from Zaonce all the way over to the southeast corner, and when I warp into system to find five or six assassins* blocking my path before I can even try to hyperspeed, it's just as well I'm not ironmanning.

I mean, here I am with shield boosters, a military laser one end and a beam the other (since upgraded), and it's freakishly hard to kill anyone or, in some cases, even to stay alive.

I have ten passenger cabins and have not been close to filling all ten on a run yet. Just as well really since the assassins' guild seem to be after just about everyone I pick up, and if there's a rhyme or reason to it I've not spotted it yet.

*At least I know who they are now. And not even a tenth-credit in bounty for them! :evil:
"Sidewinder Precision Pro" and other Oolite fiction is now available for Amazon Kindle at a bargain price.

Sidewinder Precision Pro ||Claymore Mine ||The Russian Creed ||One Jump Ahead

All titles also available in paperback.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<grins mischievously> Perhaps Oolite knows you're using it to write fiction, and is simply making it interesting for you?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

Interesting as in "Chinese curse", yah. It's most disheartening to see five traces turning red before you've even properly exited the wormhole, and hit the injectors only to find half the bad guys have got 'em too. Hardheads are good for making a ship run away for a while but I don't think I've got a missile kill yet. Gah. It'll be a long time buying another ship at this rate.
"Sidewinder Precision Pro" and other Oolite fiction is now available for Amazon Kindle at a bargain price.

Cody

Post by Cody »

It's certainly easier to outrun those assassins in a Cobra III than in a Python, I'd think - maybe I'll try my rustbucket Python tomorrow.
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Cody wrote:
<grins mischievously> Perhaps Oolite knows you're using it to write fiction, and is simply making it interesting for you?
LOL :D
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

Cody wrote:
It's certainly easier to outrun those assassins in a Cobra III than in a Python, I'd think - maybe I'll try my rustbucket Python tomorrow.
Heh. Four assassins, apparently all of them with injectors, jumped on the now-renamed Dirty British Coaster - one enjoyed the brilliant gleam of my rear Military Laser, two more ran in terror from hardened missiles, and the fourth made threatening noises while running away after taking a bunch of laser hits. Meanwhile I'm finally getting some passenger rep but it's been hard labour. May be able to afford a ship trade-up eventually...

Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

and the fourth made threatening noises while running away after taking a bunch of laser hits.
LOL, that always cracks me up.
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

Zireael wrote:
and the fourth made threatening noises while running away after taking a bunch of laser hits.
LOL, that always cracks me up.
Yes, the quality of repartee has gone way up with the latest installation. You'll get a revolutionary screaming things like "Wait! We're not your enemies! Read about the Rae'dre Six! Read about the disappeared..." or an Assassin yelling "You're making some dangerous enemies, Dirty British Coaster"... oh what, you mean a bunch of ships might drop on me without warning and try to kill me for no reason? :lol:

onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by onno256 »

Hehe, I've noticed it too. 1.80 is alot harder, but has also more immersive gameplay...
Anyway, I' m still making profit in my shiny new Cobra MKIII
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
tinker
Deadly
Deadly

Post by tinker »

After about eight years playing, mostly in my rusty ferdelance which I got a good deal on six years ago, I almost exclusively run passengers in the 2 berths I could fit in, the rest of the cargo hold is used for scooping cargo or survival pods en route, scooped stuff is 100% profit. I always look for courier missions that are on the way, that covers the fuel costs.

I avoid combat wherever possible, for two reasons - I am rubbish at it and the return on investment is not worth the trouble. I might get my hits over eight years up to total of 120 this year as I have, unavoidably got 118 so far, in self defence. For relaxation, when there are no passenger runs I do a bit of asteroid mining, targets that do not shoot back are just my kind of target.

There is certainly more than one way to have fun in the Ooniverse
Semper Dissimilis
Cody

Post by Cody »

tinker wrote:
Ain't that the truth!
Falcon777
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Falcon777 »

tinker wrote:
After about eight years playing, mostly in my rusty ferdelance which I got a good deal on six years ago, I almost exclusively run passengers in the 2 berths I could fit in, the rest of the cargo hold is used for scooping cargo or survival pods en route, scooped stuff is 100% profit. I always look for courier missions that are on the way, that covers the fuel costs.

I avoid combat wherever possible, for two reasons - I am rubbish at it and the return on investment is not worth the trouble. I might get my hits over eight years up to total of 120 this year as I have, unavoidably got 118 so far, in self defence. For relaxation, when there are no passenger runs I do a bit of asteroid mining, targets that do not shoot back are just my kind of target.

You might like the ore processor equipment mod to add a little bit of flair to your mining.