Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Berlios Downloads PC-Oolite

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Hmm, they do both link directly to the file, which is Bad and Wrong. Looks like we’re going to need a Spansh support forum. :-p
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

at least they have a link to Oolite main.

my spanish is too rusty for any intricate ayuda y explicación, but ok enough to deem the write up very favourable.. ;)

they stand responsible for about 100 d/l's for Mac and Linux each, but the PC d/l's are past 1000!
The man next to you is your lunch
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Since I didn't sleep last night (iChat until 530 AM w/ a Texan, and a bus to school @ 6AM...)

I didn't trawl any further. Will do now, because I'm really intrigued. Of course, if it is a site w/o much referrers, it won't probably show up at Gooogle...

But coonsider: if we find the source, and can give a heads-up to the boards, wiki, Oosat, this would be da bomb! :shock: 8)

(dunno if we should be scared or happy, imagine the onslaught this could cause...
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Wow, I give up, there are gazillions of people linking to Oolite.

one example: http://www.root.cz/clanky/oolite/ look at the number of reactions!
Frantic
Competent
Competent

Post by Frantic »

winston wrote:
It's probably something online on the order of Slashdot sized, and they are certainly linking directly to the file (which is a shame, because it won't be possible to tell who the referrer was). Since they are directly linking to the file it is unlikely that the downloaders are even aware of the forum. And I know from Frantic kvetching on alt.fan.elite on Friday, most people don't bother to read the README file which tells them simple things like how to quit, what keys to press, and how to switch in and out of full screen. (That's why the Linux version presents the README the first time it is run - it's the only way to stop the forums being clogged with 'How do I get out of full screen?' type questions).
I aquired, installed, and ran. I expected alt-tab to work, expected I'd at least be able to fly with standard controls. The pdf was the last readme I got to, I just opened several text readmes scanning for control listing, then went hunting online.

Finally found this, which appears to be up tp date: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite ... d_Controls
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Excellent stuff, I didn't know that was on the wiki.

I tend to use the reference sheet http://capnhack.com/hosting/oolite/Ooli ... liteRS.pdf

Haven't seen 'H' emergency hyperdrive mentioned anywhere else before........me needs to investigate.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
stevesims
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by stevesims »

Ah, the emergency hyperdrive....

Way back in the mists of time we spoke much about gameplay problems concerning the 7LY fuel limit, providing mechanisms for escaping from combat, and for getting out of being trapped in Witch-space. A result of these conversations was the Emergency Hyperdrive unit - a one-shot hyperspace jump unit.

I'm pretty certain that Giles removed it a couple of versions after he introduced it, since he wasn't entirely happy with how it worked.
Frantic
Competent
Competent

Post by Frantic »

stevesims wrote:
I'm pretty certain that Giles removed it a couple of versions after he introduced it, since he wasn't entirely happy with how it worked.
I noticed that shift-h didn't work from the keyboard listing.

How do you force a misjump anyway?
the alberts
Competent
Competent

Post by the alberts »

As well as removing the shift-h from the wiki, shift-z (for scanner unzoom) needs to be added, as does pressing "i" on the local map to show the planet info icons. (which I admit I first thought "why?" but now use ALL the time...)
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

Frantic wrote:
How do you force a misjump anyway?
pull down at the moment just before you enter witchspace.
The man next to you is your lunch
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

or up; I always pull up. Feels more like an act of defiance, that way :lol: