OXP Suggestion?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Celt
Above Average
Above Average

Re: OXP Suggestion?

Post by Celt »

I could continue in the same vein by saying that Wiki was an Ewok in Return of the Jedi wasn't he?

Anyway I'm glad I'm not the only one to have failed so epically at proposing an OXP . . . I'll stick to playing I think . . .
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Celt wrote:
I could continue in the same vein by saying that Wiki was an Ewok in Return of the Jedi wasn't he?
Well, actually he's a young Viking. :P
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Celt wrote:
Actually.. that was Wicket.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

I find the topic of laser cooling quite hilarious. As an OXPer, I can grant my ship limitless supply of money, energy, fuel, missiles..., I can destroy entities like god, I can change governments as a supreme ruler, I can push systems to anarchy if I feel like it, I can create planets out of air, I can fill the sky with stars, etc. etc. etc.

But...

"Thou shall not cool your laser" :mrgreen:
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

Disembodied wrote:
Whatever: not to worry, Celt! My first post on these boards was a proposal for a laser cooler. My "balancing" idea was that the heat would be pumped into the cabin, and cause the cabin temperature to soar to dangerous levels. [...] Nothing's ever a total waste, though: my idea did, eventually, in a modified form, resurface elsewhere, in a piece of fiction ...
It worked quite well if I recall - even if its main effect was unintentionally quelling a mutiny :-)
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Zireael
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zireael »

Disembodied wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Celt, so Commander McLane's "Location: a Hacker Outpost in a moderately remote area" wasn't a big enough hint that he's not a native Brit?
I don't see why it should be: it's not like there aren't lots of forum members based in the UK who have a whimsical "location" :) ... and it's not like you have to be a native Brit to have English as a first language, either.

Whatever: not to worry, Celt! My first post on these boards was a proposal for a laser cooler. My "balancing" idea was that the heat would be pumped into the cabin, and cause the cabin temperature to soar to dangerous levels. Another non-starter: increasingly, too, as players and NPCs become closer in capabilities, all these bits of kit would need to be factored in to NPC AIs, which is a lot of work to do to allow players to partially circumvent what is actually a really clever bit of game-mechanic, that forces players to be careful how they fight. Nothing's ever a total waste, though: my idea did, eventually, in a modified form, resurface elsewhere, in a piece of fiction ...
I still don't see why a laser cooler with some balancing effect cannot be made. It existed in Frontier, for example.