Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Comparing gameplay with classic versions - summary

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

pirx wrote:
It is much more difficult now than in older versions of oolite (say e.g. 1.40), but it became a bit boring that you could kill anything with a single good burst (incl. thargoid warships). .
Well, it still *is* possible to kill a thargoid warship in single good burst. but distance should not be too long and not a single miss is allowed. Then it starts burning as laser gets overheated, a couple of extra pulses and it is dead!
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

I have Original BBC Elite on an Emulator on my Mac. I've not played any of the Elite+, Frontier nonsense.

Giles' implementation may have slight differences from the original, and there may be quantative quibbles about rates of change of certain factors, but it still represents a fantastic game with great playability.

People on this board generally have a great feel for the game and tend to 'poo-poo' anything which adversely affect the balance of the game.
Military laser heat rate is, admittedly, one of the more contentious issues.

In Og. Elite, 3 Pirates would regularly come at you (11 o clock), and all but the most iron-ass ships would get a serious kicking, face on. In Oolite, a group of pirates, can cause just as much concern. The Constrictor would still be around after your military lasers maxed out. The same is true today.

Oolite is certainly harder, but then we're all much more used to game playing now than we were then!
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Wiggy wrote:
I have Original BBC Elite on an Emulator on my Mac. I've not played any of the Elite+, Frontier nonsense.
Why do you call Plus nonsense? It is original Elite with VGA support and almost full mission set.
Better than any except Acorn and maybe "Novosibirsk" versions.
Wiggy wrote:
Oolite is certainly harder, but then we're all much more used to game playing now than we were then!
That's right, except i haven't play for 10 years and last one was Linewars][ (missions only, that game did not have trading part)
Evil Juice
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Evil Juice »

The soviet "????????????" (lit. Nomenklatura) version for Electronica 60 with TTY interface was quite renowned in warsaw pact countries arount 1987... It featured several interesting missions but the thargoids were substituted by ICBMs and the police vipers by "???????? ??????????? ?????????? ???" (NKVD) Zhighulis
Target lost
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Evil Juice wrote:
The soviet "????????????" (lit. Nomenklatura) version for Electronica 60 with TTY interface was quite renowned in warsaw pact countries arount 1987... It featured several interesting missions but the thargoids were substituted by ICBMs and the police vipers by "???????? ??????????? ?????????? ???" (NKVD) Zhighulis
Well, actually pdp-11 (DECpro and other graphics-capable machines) was the only relatively widespread architecture Elite was *not* ported to. Maybe the reason was those machines were expensive and rarely used as home computers. (well, there was relatively inexpensive Unix worstation too, AT&T 3b1, and there was no Elite for it also)

I know a man who, whoever, planned Elite port to УКНЦ system. He did even finish 3d engine, collision code and some more stuff, but real port did not happen, there was only a demo featuring Coriolis station and a couple of ships w/o AI.
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

Why do you call Plus nonsense? It is original Elite with VGA support and almost full mission set.
Sorry, no harm intended. Just being rashly dismissive! :wink:
Better than any except Acorn and maybe "Novosibirsk" versions.
.... I'll take your word for it. :wink:
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

ArkanoiD wrote:
Well, actually pdp-11 (DECpro and other graphics-capable machines) was the only relatively widespread architecture Elite was *not* ported to.
Was it ever ported to the Soviet VAX clone? (This machine would have been considerably more powerful than the pdp-11 clone, certainly I'd expect in its later iterations).

Actually, today, there's probably no reason why Elite:TNK wouldn't port easily to a VAX running BSD. Since TNK is essentially just a translation of the 8-bit version to C, VAX hardware should be able to cope.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

winston wrote:
ArkanoiD wrote:
Well, actually pdp-11 (DECpro and other graphics-capable machines) was the only relatively widespread architecture Elite was *not* ported to.
Was it ever ported to the Soviet VAX clone? (This machine would have been considerably more powerful than the pdp-11 clone, certainly I'd expect in its later iterations).

Actually, today, there's probably no reason why Elite:TNK wouldn't port easily to a VAX running BSD. Since TNK is essentially just a translation of the 8-bit version to C, VAX hardware should be able to cope.
No.
Soviet VAXen were huge, but PDP-11s existed in desktop versions. And PDP-11 should be more than enough, given it worked on 3MHz m6502 machines..
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

winston wrote:
ob.: yes, but does it run Oolite? :lol:

Not so long ago there was a guy on Slashdot, Alioth or something like that, talking about a VAX he had in his own house, maybe you could contact him? :wink: (I know: another low in the department of lame jokes)
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Rxke wrote:
winston wrote:
ob.: yes, but does it run Oolite? :lol:

Not so long ago there was a guy on Slashdot, Alioth or something like that, talking about a VAX he had in his own house, maybe you could contact him? :wink: (I know: another low in the department of lame jokes)
I have a VAX and an Alpha, running VMS ;-)
No OpenGL there, though :-(
neilplus
Competent
Competent

Post by neilplus »

Laserproof ship -> that bug with ships being invulnerable due to subentity weirdness?