Suggestion to increase missile damage

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Suggestion to increase missile damage

Post by CommRLock78 »

Rese249er wrote:
The only time I actually let enemies close enough for turrets is when I've overheated my front laser and the bogey's throwing sparks.
I can see turret's value in some situations, but since they are automated, I prefer not having them ;).
Rese249er wrote:
As for the turrets keeping you from refuel stations, there's an OXP for that... Universal Turret Toggler, by Solonar.
Hmm.... I'll have to look at this one and see what functionality it gives, but, as I said, I don't think I'll put turrets back on the Caddy. According to Thargoid (and I trust what he says) the problem with the Caddy and Fuel Stations was that the turrets where mis-placed on the ship, causing it the explode while "docking" at the station - 'twas quite weird.
Edit: I like that OXP. I might just put those turrets back on- at least to play around with it if nothing else.
Last edited by CommRLock78 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Turret Toggler removes subents when switched to OFF. Which can well be all the time.
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Rese249er wrote:
Turret Toggler removes subents when switched to OFF. Which can well be all the time.
I saw that :mrgreen: . It might be worth installing, since I did feel a bit bad about changing ClymAngus' ship specs :D.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

It also changes turret specs in my experience.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Rese249er wrote:
It also changes turret specs in my experience.
:shock: That might just re-create the whole exploding Caddy while "docking" with a fuel station bug all over :P
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Not if they're off.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Excellent point :mrgreen: But, are you sure that they won't still be recognized even though they're off? It looks like I've got some farting around to do now that the semester is about finished :D.
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

CommRLock78 wrote:
recognized
Wha? All subents completely disappear when toggle is off. They aren't there. They poof.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Thargoid wrote:
... or if you want I can hack together an OXP to do it for you ...
I know I'm not meant, but I for one would love to see such a "deadlier missiles" oxp happen :twisted:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Lestradae wrote:
Thargoid wrote:
... or if you want I can hack together an OXP to do it for you ...
I know I'm not meant, but I for one would love to see such a "deadlier missiles" oxp happen :twisted:
It already exists.. UK_Eliter's Nexus Missile gives you several variants of multiple-warhead missiles fitted with with injectors. I've killed a Kiota Research Station with a single 4-warhead variant. :twisted:

Each warhead does roughly double the damage of a normal missile, they are highly ECM-resistant, and because of the injectors, they can get closer to the target before detonating.. all of which makes for some serious damage. And if you have multiple targets stored in your targeting memory, the warheads will take one each.

Things get rather "interesting" when the bad guys use them on you, though.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
ioannis
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by ioannis »

Nexus missile? Sounds interesting. Btw, what is the name of the ship you have on your avatar, Diziet? Is it available in the game?
Scratchbuilding miniatures:
http://miniaturesandstuff.wordpress.com/
the picture in my avatar is a Dwarf Berserker.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Yes, it's available as an OXP. It's Captain Beatnik's Coluber CPV-9333 Pitviper S.E. "Beast". The paintjob is a custom one I made for my own ship, called the Blackwidow.

Capt Beatnik has very kindly made the original GIMP .xcf file available as well, to simply things for people wanting to create custom paintjobs, and I've released a blank custom Pitviper OXP to simplify the task of adding the custom texture for the player. See the thread linked above for the download link and the extras.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Solonar
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Solonar »

Rese249er wrote:
As for the turrets keeping you from refuel stations, there's an OXP for that... Universal Turret Toggler, by Solonar.
Thanks for the advert!

SolarTech proudly presents the Plasma Turret Regulator Device Apparatus, aka the Turret Toggler