Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Machine maintenance tips?

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thermonuklear wrote:
Does anyone have experience on using an air compressor to clean electronics? I could have sworn I read someone using this method earlier in this thread, but can't find it anymore. Blind bastard... I'm asking because I have a small compressor and there's a risk of water condensation inside the pressure tank, and the cheaper models which are normally not perma-lubed(sounds a bit dirty, but I don't know the right term) may draw some lubricating oil from the engine and mix it with the airstream.
For cleaning I use aircans/vacuum cleaner/cotton dabs. Great combo.
Stick to the canned air. When a compressor draws in air, whatever moisture is in the atmosphere goes in as well. It accumulates in the pressure tank, and needs to be drained off at regular intervals. In the meantime, there's a very good chance some of it will make it's way out along with the pressurised air whenever you use the compressor. For most applications this is no biggie, but for electronics, it can be trouble. This is why the canned air is recommended. It has no moisture in it, as it's made to be used for electronics applications.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Thermonuklear
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Thermonuklear »

A word of warning. Gainward models of Geforce GTX 560/GTX 560 Ti are not compatible with the aforementioned Accelero Twin Turbo II. I found it out the hard way.

First of all the cooling fins won't fit. The Gainward model has 2 DVI plugs on top of each other, so I had to cut off 10 of the fins to make things fit. Luckily the removed pieces were only ~1cm long, so there's no significant loss of efficiency.
Secondly, the GPU core is too near the plug-end of the card. When I put the cooler on its position, I noticed it's rear edge goes a millimeter of two over the card's rear edge, making installation quite impossible. Now I have to do some surgery on my computer case...
[ELITE: Station Run]
Selezen's excellent boardgame needs playtesters!
---
My youtube channel: Oolite, old games and underground metal music!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Bummer.. good thing you're comfortable performing surgery on your machine.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

drew wrote:

Don't forget to add a hot cup of really fresh tea when you turn it on.

Cheers,

Drew.
I know what you are talking about here, Drew . . :)
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

Unless of course you DO get invited to that kind of party ...
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

NigelJK wrote:
Unless of course you DO get invited to that kind of party ...
I fear I don't. I've heard tales, though, about . . actually, I'd better stop here.
Thermonuklear
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Thermonuklear »

Thermonuklear wrote:
A word of warning. Gainward models of Geforce GTX 560/GTX 560 Ti are not compatible with the aforementioned Accelero Twin Turbo II....
Shameless brag: I finally got the bloody thing installed! I had to use a hacksaw, cutting pliers and a metal file to get things fit :D No case modding needed, though.

The new cooler is tremendously effective. I can finally play graphics-heavy games without any fear of overheating. GPU heat seldom rises over 60°C now. The stock cooler couldn't keep the temps in check even when the fan speed was at 100%. The graphics don't glitch anymore, yay!

And the bugger is practically silent! The old cooler mostly reminded me of a snippet from a Lovecraft story: "the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes." At fan speed set at 100%, I can barely hear the fans moving.

So, anyone having problems with GPU temps/noise, I highly recommend changing your stock cooler to a better one. I couldn't be happier!
[ELITE: Station Run]
Selezen's excellent boardgame needs playtesters!
---
My youtube channel: Oolite, old games and underground metal music!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Excellent news! I've always admired a bloke who's not afraid to take to his computer with a hacksaw! :lol:
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Excellent news! I've always admired a bloke who's not afraid to take to his computer with a hacksaw! :lol:
I had to take a utility knife to my case to cut the metal cover tab off the case in order to get my GFX card in :evil: :lol: :mrgreen: (Something which should just simply be screwed in place was actually part of the case!)
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

It's machine cleaning time again - does anyone have a recommended air duster brand? The one I wanted is no longer available (except in Mumbai, of course), and the ones I see advertised now all seem to have an alcohol base of some sort. All I want is compressed air, really.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by UK_Eliter »

Some good tips in this thread! I've taken note.

And a great - ingenious - Lovecraft reference!
Stormrider
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Stormrider »

Cody wrote:
the ones I see advertised now all seem to have an alcohol base of some sort. All I want is compressed air, really.
It is just probably to keep it dry. I use methanol on big compressor systems to keep condensation out of the lines.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Once again, I have engaged the dreaded Cable&Dust monster in mortal combat, and once again I have triumphed.
Thing is, as it disappeared in a final puff of dust, I could've sworn I heard it mutter "I'll be back!"
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Mauiby de Fug
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Mauiby de Fug »

Well this is a most timely thread resurrection! I'm planning on installing a new harddrive into my desktop at some point this week, and am intending to clean out its insides at the same time. A toothbrush or paint brush make a lot of sense, and I would never have thought of them!
Anonymissimus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Anonymissimus »

Actually thought of my ship when reading the title.

A sensible alternative to the usual can of compressed air recommendation is a pump such as for bikes or similar.
warning sound if a missile is inbound: Missile warning