Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Mars Science Lab (MSL)

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Your prediction - Will the MSL land safely?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:04 pm

Yes
57%
No
21%
Maybe
21%
What is Mars Science Laboratory?
No votes

Total votes: 14

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Mars Science Lab (MSL)

Post by JensAyton »

El Viejo wrote:
I suspect there'd be no shortage of qualified volunteers who'd jump at that, given regular re-supply.
…And several (non-governmental) projects pushing that way, most recently a reality TV concept. I can just imagine the fun when their viewership drops, they can’t renew season 5 and suddenly don’t have the budget to send more food drops.
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

CommRLock78 wrote:
El Viejo wrote:
El Reg wrote:
next we'll send the boffins!
'Twill be another ten or twenty years before we send people there. There are a lot of barriers to overcome before that happens, like protecting the astronauts from radiation and getting them home (our current technology just gets them there, on a one way ticket).
Feh! We could have been there by now. All down to politicians who are too afraid to make the leap.

ESA is a mess of different nations all vying for their own piece of the action. Russia has lost interest. The USA clings to the fact it hasn't lost an American in space. Technically correct but backward looking. As for the newly formed UKSA, it's like a baby trying to quote Shakespear, entirely possible but prone to failure.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Tricky wrote:
Feh! We could have been there by now. All down to politicians who are too afraid to make the leap.
Maybe. There are a lot of obstacles: effects of weightlessness for six months, radiation, fuel for a return trip, dust and dust storms, finding water, low local gravity, even possible psychological effects of seasons which last twice as long as on earth, never mind the tremendous price tag...
ESA is a mess of different nations all vying for their own piece of the action. Russia has lost interest. The USA clings to the fact it hasn't lost an American in space. Technically correct but backward looking. As for the newly formed UKSA, it's like a baby trying to quote Shakespear, entirely possible but prone to failure.
:lol: baby trying to quote Shakespeare :lol:
I hadn't heard of the UKSA, but it'll be nice once the recession lifts to see how the different agencies fair, and what projects will come up.
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

CommRLock78 wrote:
Tricky wrote:
Maybe. There are a lot of obstacles: effects of weightlessness for six months, radiation, fuel for a return trip, dust and dust storms, finding water, low local gravity, even possible psychological effects of seasons which last twice as long as on earth, never mind the tremendous price tag...
All tested by the old USSR. As for the price tag... can the price of progress be quantified?
CommRLock78 wrote:
Tricky wrote:
:lol: baby trying to quote Shakespeare :lol:
I hadn't heard of the UKSA, but it'll be nice once the recession lifts to see how the different agencies fair, and what projects will come up.
UKSA is the UK Space Agency.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Tricky wrote:
All tested by the old USSR. As for the price tag... can the price of progress be quantified?
Absolutely not, but I'm a realist, and I know from first hand experience that there are those in America that would rather keep the money in their pockets (this place did, after all, manage to vote this arse into office, not just once, but twice :roll: )
UKSA is the UK Space Agency.
Yeah, I looked it up immediately :mrgreen: (though I had a suspicion that's what it was ;) )
Again, it will be interesting to see what all these agencies are capable of once the recession has lifted :D .
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Resources for the Enthusiast :mrgreen: (Great pic, Ahruman, and a great point, too :lol: )
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

And a reminder that things don't always work first time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hvlG2JtMts
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

This is nice...first HD 360 degree panorama of gale Crater
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Smivs wrote:
This is nice...first HD 360 degree panorama of gale Crater
Excellent find, Smivs, thanks for sharing :D . It's amazing to think that those hills, which look so earth-like, are actually on another planet altogether; can't wait for when we send a rover to Titan :mrgreen: .
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Watched this last night; a good Nova indeed:
http://video.pbs.org/video/2303491567#

Edit: It's too bad Mars wasn't a larger mass planet, and it would be living still today. A larger mass would have meant that the planet's interior wouldn't have cooled thus keeping a molten core to drive a magnetosphere to protect itself from the solar wind.