Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Disable buoys in Strict Mode?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Disable buoys in Strict Mode?

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
By the way, I noticed that strict mode has one oddity: if you start your game in unrestricted mode and switch to strict mode, you can still use the debug console afterwards, although it's technically an OXP.
How else are we supposed to debug strict mode? :-)

The debug OXP is a hack, and unlike other OXPs it doesn’t affect the game but the software framing the game. Adding extra code to make the interaction with strict mode more consistent isn’t worthwhile.

The debug OXP – and various other testing stuff – wasn’t really supposed to work in the general-release version of MNSR/1.76, but that plan was dropped to avoid extra testing. I think it might be better to make the debug stuff “always on” in test release/nightly/developer builds and off in deployment builds. (A “developer” build of each release would be available for OXPers as originally planned.)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Following on that thought, we could also put what's now inside the debug oxp into a new Resources/Debug directory for test release builds.. ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Kaks wrote:
Following on that thought, we could also put what's now inside the debug oxp into a new Resources/Debug directory for test release builds.. ;)
That’s what I meant. (It’s what I did in the Oolite2 fork.) That would require us to actually use the deployment configuration for releases, of course. :-)