Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Solved!] Old hardware.

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

O'neal
Above Average
Above Average

Re: Old hardware.

Post by O'neal »

This means that the graphics card is not being used. You probably need to install drivers; I can’t really help with that, not being a Linux person.
THANK YOU Ahruman.
That is good to hear. I suspected as much but didn't have enough evidence (knowledge) to support that assumption. I just know that this video card should be performing better.
It was originally in a much older computer that this one and performed very well.
I will look into installing the correct drivers for the card. I don't have any idea how to do this but I do know where to look for the information. :D

Thanks again. I will post with the results. Until then I will continue checking back for more ideas/information.
O'neal
Formally, Solar Patriot
O'neal
Above Average
Above Average

Post by O'neal »

Well I am back and I was able to get the drivers for this NVidia GeForce4 MX 440 card installd...and believe me, it wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be to get the information.

Here's what I finally ended up doing:
I installed Ubuntu 11.10 and opened a Terninal (Ctrl.+Alt+T) and entered the following command......

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mesa-utils
and entered my su password.
After it finished installing the drivers I verified that the drivers were in fact installed by typing this command next......

Code: Select all

glxinfo
This command caused the Terminal screen to be filled with a bunch of information that I didn't understand but, I was able to recognize my video card and that Ubuntu was now using it.

I opened the System Info. app. and sure enough, it now shows the nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 NV17 PCI card installed.

As you might imagine, I was stoked. However, when I start Oolite and go to the F2 Menu/Game Options it still shows Shader Effects: Not Available :(

Any suggestions? I may be wrong but I thought this card supported shaders.

Thank for your help.
O'neal
Formally, Solar Patriot
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

O'neal wrote:
I opened the System Info. app. and sure enough, it now shows the nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 NV17 PCI card installed.

As you might imagine, I was stoked. However, when I start Oolite and go to the F2 Menu/Game Options it still shows Shader Effects: Not Available :(
This is a ten-year-old graphics card. It doesn’t support modern shaders.
O'neal
Above Average
Above Average

Post by O'neal »

Thank you.
That's what I needed to know.
Can someone please tell me how to mark this topic, Solved?
O'neal
Formally, Solar Patriot
MEX
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by MEX »

Ahruman wrote:
O'neal wrote:
14:00:00.682 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.0 ("2.1 Mesa 7.7.1-DEVEL"). Vendor: "Mesa Project". Renderer: "Software Rasterizer".
This means that the graphics card is not being used. You probably need to install drivers; I can’t really help with that, not being a Linux person.
I also need help with a driver for my SiS 671 Mirage compatible onboard graphic in my V5535 laptop from FSC using Ubuntu 11.10 :(

Is there anyone with a old SiS graphic who knows where i get drivers for Linux ?

MfG, MEX
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

search for an ubuntu package called xf86-video-sis (or something similar) in the official repos.
installing it and restarting should be enough to start using it.

Don't expect good performance from it, that driver has seen very little updates for a long time.

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

O'neal wrote:
Can someone please tell me how to mark this topic, Solved?
go to your first post in this thread, click edit, you can then edit the first message, but more important, also the subject :)