Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How to thwart galactic hyperspace jump?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: How to thwart galactic hyperspace jump?

Post by Wildeblood »

Micha wrote:
Looks like we'll need to revise all core equipment though, and ensure that if it gets damaged that whatever it does stops working.
Start with the fuel injectors. I'm pretty sure they keep on working if you're actually using them when they get damaged. If so, I'd think that was more important than an obscure thing like the gal-drive countdown.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

To answer the original question, GH can be mass blocked so mass block it, the mass doesn't have to be visible, and it doesn't have to be around for very long. If you name your mass "Malfunction.....Malfunction" even the screen message makes sense.

With regards to breaking other stuff I'm sure a workaround can be built in for any problems that could occur.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Wildeblood wrote:
Micha wrote:
Looks like we'll need to revise all core equipment though, and ensure that if it gets damaged that whatever it does stops working.
Start with the fuel injectors. I'm pretty sure they keep on working if you're actually using them when they get damaged. If so, I'd think that was more important than an obscure thing like the gal-drive countdown.
I tested this the other day because that's what I thought. But they did stop if broken in use (both via Console and actual combat) so think it is something that has been fixed somewhere along the line. Tested on 4643.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Reintroduced consistency: as of rev4645 it won't be possible to do a galactic jump if the equipment for it is gone and/or destroyed in the middle of a galactic jump countdown.

However, BGS is blissfully unaware of this new - improved - possibility, in future it will need to check for player.ship.status to find out if the jump is actually taking place...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Kaks wrote:
Reintroduced consistency: as of rev4645 it won't be possible to do a galactic jump if the equipment for it is gone and/or destroyed in the middle of a galactic jump countdown.
Crikey! You don't waste time, do you? Excellent. Excellent!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Kaks wrote:
However, BGS is blissfully unaware of this new - improved - possibility, in future it will need to check for player.ship.status to find out if the jump is actually taking place...
The required changes to BGS are minimal, but it wouldn't be so unaware if playerJumpFailed would be triggered though .-) Is it possible to trigger this event, Kaks, or should I implement a additional check?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Svengali wrote:
...but it wouldn't be so unaware if playerJumpFailed would be triggered though .-) Is it possible to trigger this event, Kaks, or should I implement a additional check?
It should be a trivial change to let playerJumpFailed trigger on damaging and I think it should. It would only need a new 'cause' to be defined. Finding a logical name is probably the most difficult part :)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

'no engine' ? :)
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Kaks wrote:
"what the hell happened to the engine that was here a second ago" ?
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Kaks wrote:
To general. It should be a forward compatible description in case the normal hyperspace jump would be changed in buyable equipment. Unless there is no good reason to differentiate between both types of jump.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Well, the .playerStartedJumpCountdown() event does provide differentiation already, so in theory a script wouldn't have too many problems figuring out which jump was interrupted: 'no engine' playerJumpFaileds would be triggered only by the disappearance/breakage of the relevant engine...

Hmm, on second thoughts, I'm not particularly happy with 'no engine' (slightly happier with 'what the hell happened to the engine that was here a second ago' :D )...
I suppose we could simply fall back to the all-encompassing 'malfunction' and leave it to the oxp to check if the engine is there or not, at least for 1.76
Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Commander Wilmot »

Wildeblood wrote:
Is this a new error exclusive to version 1.75.3? If not, than that is not true, if you get hit with fuel injectors on you will come to a quick inconvenient halt; a very inconvenient halt if you have four Diamondback variants, two Dominatrixes, a couple of Werewolves, an Imperial courier, and three or four other pirates in an assortment of Cobra variants, mambas, and other native oolite ships, especially since they all have npc shields. I haven't updated to 1.75.3 yet, though.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Commander Wilmot wrote:
I haven't updated to 1.75.3 yet, though.
When you do update it is strongly advised by the Dev Team, during the new feature freeze, to update with the latest trunk version. As it is the latest and greatest version with all the bug fixes available. And so any problems found will be new ones and not older already fixed bugs.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

... with the exception of today's build. I managed to sneak in a stupid bug while testing for some js reset problems... :roll:
Commander Wilmot wrote:
Is this a new error exclusive to version 1.75.3? If not, than that is not true, if you get hit with fuel injectors on you will come to a quick inconvenient halt; a very inconvenient halt if you have four Diamondback variants, two Dominatrixes, a couple of Werewolves, an Imperial courier, and three or four other pirates in an assortment of Cobra variants, mambas, and other native oolite ships, especially since they all have npc shields. I haven't updated to 1.75.3 yet, though.

Anyway, I'm afraid that breaking the fuel injectors while in flight will slow your escape immediately. Breaking any other piece of equipment - or just being hit, as you seem to be saying - won't affect the fuel injectors at all, and your speed will stay the same.

Well, unless you're hit by some of the more esoteric missiles available from certain OXPs. :)