Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How often do you get your ass handed to you?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

How often do you last get your ass handed to you?

Hourly
3%
Once a day
23%
Every couple of days
20%
Once a week
10%
Every couple of weeks
27%
Once a month
7%
I'm an Iron Man with Elite ranking
10%

Total votes: 30

Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: How often do you get your ass handed to you?

Post by Switeck »

I'm usually avoiding the space lanes...but when I don't I typically die in big fights I don't run from. (I run from most.) So once a day. I've had so much equipment knocked out that reloading was certainly preferable.

Overall, my leading cause of death is bad docking on my part -- as I dock manually and typically at full speed. Sometimes it's because the station spits a ship out at me on my way in.
But an embarrassingly large number of my deaths are from ramming asteroids and beacons while distracted by other things...or just afk. :lol:
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

No answer to this really. Depends what I'm doing. In my normal game, not very often, but sometimes I will seek out more challenging situations. If I was to play it safe, the answer would probably be "Never". As I play now, every couple of days or maybe even, every time I play. Right now I have left my ordinary game and I'm playing around with ToughGuys2 (never got around to look at it before) just for fun. Great for action, but not so great if exploration, trading and taking in the view is part of your game. One thing is for sure. Insurance, in my current game, would be prohibitively expensive.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

I voted for the last option because the other choices were not close and also because I object to the premise of this poll. I get killed... I don't get my ass handed to me. I will flame out in a blaze of glory and take as many of the renegades with me during whatever time is left until the big bang.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

CaptSolo wrote:
I don't get my ass handed to me. I will flame out in a blaze of glory and take as many of the renegades with me during whatever time is left until the big bang.
All I can say to that is... Right on, Commander!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

CaptSolo wrote:
I voted for the last option because the other choices were not close
By the rest of your post, it sounds that you should have chosen the first option...
CaptSolo wrote:
and also because I object to the premise of this poll. I get killed... I don't get my ass handed to me.
There's getting killed, and then there's being obliterated out of the Ooniverse with extreme prejudice. I think the object of this poll is the latter - even though I chose to count every 4-5 "d'oh!" deaths as a proper smiting.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
sdrubble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by sdrubble »

Oh well... I was initially thinking of not voting, but ended up taking the 'once a week' option. :D

I fly my very own 'Dark Rainbow', meaning the vanilla version plus all the wicked iron-assing addons that money can buy. :roll:

The once a week thing is due to the frequent instances where awareness overload takes its toll and I only notice the incoming missile (that not-so-rare one that Missile Spoof won't take care of) one second before it contacts. On most other occasions I'm quick, first to press 'Pause' (now on the larger space bar instead of the wimpy 'P' key that I'd never find in time), and then to slowly ponder on 'Mmmm... what would be the best strategy to employ here ?' :lol:

You might say that I 'Press Space' a lot. Indeed... mostly for pausing, and fewer times to restart after death. :wink:

But I DO miss not being able to assign 'pause' to a joystick button... :( it's my mostly used key. TAF=0.5 was also heavily used beforehand, until I hardcoded it into MilHUD'S red-HUD which now does it automagically. 8) I still have to manually do TAF=0.25 a lot, though. :mrgreen:

While most people would say that uber-iron-asses are fun-spoilers, I beg to disagree. There are multiple ways to have fun in Oolite other than putting your ass at [much] risk, as this screenshot can attest (well, that's my preference anyway.) Interestingly enough, I hadn't noticed it before posting - on this run the results were achieved without having to spend even a single pylon. :shock:
CommonSenseOTB wrote:
It is important, therefore, that for every oxp added that makes things tougher, one add an oxp that helps the player a little. Every time a week goes by without any real trouble, the player should either take away something that helps them or add something that hinders them. Rinse and repeat as needed and you will have balance in your game. :)
Indeed. I have just added TG2 to increase the action factor (not that I noticed anything yet, other than some slow cobby aft-firing on me with little results).

As to something that would 'relieve' the action, I can recommend Ionics... the Whitetails are nice to watch, and seem to be there just for target practice. :lol:

Cheers :mrgreen:
Yodeebe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yodeebe »

haha, i'm the only 'hourly!'
in truth it's somewhere between hourly & daily, but my ooniverse is a very dangerous one indeed. enemies maxed out on pirates, rengades, tough guys (armageddon), etc, and i'm normally running fugitive status.
trying to land in a Navy station under full attack can be quite exhilarating. at least the repairs are cheap if you make it in. seems a little strange to get such a nice welcome when you get in really, but I see myself as some undercover operative that the rank & file Navy pilots mustn't know about. works for me.
"ahh, mister BOond. nice of you to drop in. we've got a little situation...."
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by onno256 »

I do fly an Ubership, but even I have to run (feulinject) away every now and then.

I quickly learned to pick my battles!

Greetz,
Onno.
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies