Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

1.75.2 x64, no sound with HDA NVidia Sound Card

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: 1.75.2 x64, no sound with HDA NVidia Sound Card

Post by Diziet Sma »

Damn.. that's a long time you've been without sound.. my sympathies..

There's nothing interesting in the log, I'm guessing?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Getafix
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: A small ice asteroid, orbiting Oresrati in Galaxy 8 (a.k.a. northwest Armorica).

Re: 1.75.2 x64, no sound with HDA NVidia Sound Card

Post by Getafix »

@WhiteOwl
Hi. Could it be that there are more than one oolite installations (from different sources) messing the oolite execution?
Please, keep a backup of your savegames, OXPs and screenshots and uninstall any oolite installation.

Then execute the following to make sure that no oolite executable has remained in the path:

Code: Select all

$ which oolite
If this returns something, please, copy the output and proceed to next steps.

Then try to find any oolite installation leftovers by executing:

Code: Select all

$ cd /
$ sudo bash
# find . -name *oolite* -print 2>> /dev/null
# find . -name *Oolite* -print 2>> /dev/null
# exit
$
If the last two commands have returned something, please post the output here and wait for feedback (don't proceed!).

If the output of the "which" command and the two "find" commands is clear then install Oolite 1.77 AMD64 (choosing the local installation) from oolite.org download page.
Don't change anything in the default installation.
To verify that you have not installed oolite system-wide, just check if you have an Oolite directory under /opt.
If it is there you have a system-wide installation. Uninstall and install choosing the local installation option.
A local Oolite installation should be under ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/ path.
Try executing oolite (cd into the aforementioned folder first). Fixed?

If you still have sound issues try all the combinations moving the oolite libsdl libraries one by one. In fact you have three combinations:
1. Move libSDL-1.2 library out of the oolite libraries folder. If not fixed proceed to 2
2. Move libSDL_mixer-1.2 library out of the oolite libraries folder. If not fixed proceed to 3
3. Move only libSDL-1.2 library back into the oolite libraries folder. If not fixed move libSDL_mixer-1.2 back into the oolite libraries folder (just to keep the things tidy).

Post some feedback on how did it go.
"Any sufficiently advanced information is indistinguishable from noise." [Newman, Lachmann, Moore]