Retro Rockets OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [Release] Retro Rockets OXP

Post by Commander McLane »

Fatleaf wrote:
Is it just me but for some reason I seem to in a straight line. I can turn the ship but I can't maneuver. And is there a way to turn them off once activated? I was in a dog fight with an other chopped Cobra and I thought I was going to shoot the railgun "FIRE" I shouted, then :shock: I was going backwards. Try to turn it off :?

But I like the idea. :D
If they work anything like the ones on the Atari and Amiga, they just catapult you back about one scanner diameter (51200 m) very quickly. No turning, no manoeuvering, no switching them off. This may also precisely be the reason why they're banned in the aegis. (I haven't tried the OXP yet, though, so I can't say whether they actually resemble my Atari memories.)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Fatleaf wrote:
Is it just me but for some reason I seem to in a straight line. I can turn the ship but I can't maneuver. And is there a way to turn them off once activated? I was in a dog fight with an other chopped Cobra and I thought I was going to shoot the railgun "FIRE" I shouted, then :shock: I was going backwards. Try to turn it off :?

But I like the idea. :D
They don't "turn on and turn off", they are instantaneous. When you trigger them you get a burst of reverse velocity (3x your ships max speed) which slowly decays. If you want to counter it, just hit full speed and you'll slow down more quickly, or if you want it even quicker just hit the fuel injectors.

You should also be able to maneuver whilst flying backwards, but it may be limited until the induced velocity from the rockets has damped itself out.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Fatleaf wrote:
Is it just me but for some reason I seem to in a straight line. I can turn the ship but I can't maneuver.
You know, that opens up a new dogfighting maneuver. Drift-fighting!
Punch the retros, spin the Cobby around, and rip the hell out of your opponent as you slide past. :twisted:
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Commander McLane wrote:
If they work anything like the ones on the Atari and Amiga, they just catapult you back about one scanner diameter (51200 m) very quickly.
did the Amiga throw you back as much as that? i'm sure it kicked you back about a radius, if that? :-/
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

The distance of kickback on these ones depends on the ships initial velocity, and also its maximum speed.

I didn't want to make it throw back too far (2x radii seems too much to me), but if people want to change it just change the multiplier value (the three) in the script to something else.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Thargoid! I've been waiting for exactly these! Top.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Some interesting graphical oddities show up if you fire these and then adjust pitch.....you can get the exhaust plume coming out of the front of the ship too.

[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

No need to adjust pitch, just fire your jets whilst you're flying backwards (at least on a Cobbie3, and maybe some others) and you should see your exhaust plumes coming out front. It's just because you're flying through them, as your induced reverse speed is higher than your normal forward max speed.

Nothing to be done about it I'm afraid, as exhaust drawing is the trunk's responsibility. Plus I think it kinda looks good anyway ;)