Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Graywing
Poor
Poor

Re: David Braben's Elite: Dangerous

Post by Graywing »

Cody wrote:
There is a solo mode (requires an always-on internet connection) where you'll not see any other players - only NPCs.
Many of us will be playing in this way (myself included), I expect - and welcome aboard.
You won't see them physically, but their actions will still be affecting the game world. So you won't have to deal with getting ganked by player pirates, but multiplayer traders will still be affecting the same market you're trying to trade in. A lot of the "yay online" crowd on the ED forums don't understand the distinction.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<nods> What you won't be able to avoid, in any mode, are the NPC names, some of which make me rather sad!

I note that the smugglers are up-in-arms - poorly, if at all, implemented it seems.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cody

Post by Cody »

Apparently, someone has already made it to the galactic core - ho-hum!

In other news, it seems that there may not be multiple characters per account - only one commander slot.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Can you have multiple ships or is it like Oolite with one commander one ship?
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Cody

Post by Cody »

You can have multiple ships - if you can afford them (and their storage fees), of course.
I sold my free Eagle, as I saw no point - I have a Cobra MkIII, and no wish to pay storage fees.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68235

So the centre of the galaxy has already been reached. So much for the journey taking weeks or months! :lol:

Still, it might be a while before all 400 billion systems have been visited... :wink:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Pleb wrote:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68235

So the centre of the galaxy has already been reached. So much for the journey taking weeks or months! :lol:

Still, it might be a while before all 400 billion systems have been visited... :wink:
Hum ... so much for the sense of scale. Yes, there are a lot of systems, but the original Elite could have had umpteen bazillion systems: that's quantity, not scale. I suppose it's because of the universal clock, imposed on the game by the necessities of multiplayer, which means that jumps take almost no time to complete. All the way to Sagittarius A* in a week. :roll:
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Oolite can have that many systems as well. The only problem is that you'd never make it back to Galaxy 1 unless you have a reverse galactic hyperdrive! :wink:

The problem with this is, as proven, the more of the same gets boring. Hence why I am not surprised that when CMDR Zulu Romeo made it to Sagittarius A* he didn't find anything that exciting... :(
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Pleb wrote:
...Still, it might be a while before all 400 billion systems have been visited... :wink:
I wonder if anyone has a goal to insult every planet at least once!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Disembodied wrote:
All the way to Sagittarius A* in a week. :roll:
Pleb wrote:
The problem with this is, as proven, the more of the same gets boring. Hence why I am not surprised that when CMDR Zulu Romeo made it to Sagittarius A* he didn't find anything that exciting...
Heh.. and it's partly my fault.. for suggesting that, based on a demonstrated ability to travel 400-500 LY per hour, it could probably be done in about a week of dedicated effort. :lol:

I was a little surprised when Zulu Romeo actually took the challenge up, though..

However, to be fair, we're expecting FD to implement service intervals on the jump-drive before long, possibly as low as 1000ly.. and that would seriously slow things down, to the point it could well take years to reach the core, as it would be necessary for infrastructure to be built up before exploration range could be extended.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Heh.. and it's partly my fault.. for suggesting that, based on a demonstrated ability to travel 400-500 LY per hour, it could probably be done in about a week of dedicated effort. :lol:

I was a little surprised when Zulu Romeo actually took the challenge up, though..

However, to be fair, we're expecting FD to implement service intervals on the jump-drive before long, possibly as low as 1000ly.. and that would seriously slow things down, to the point it could well take years to reach the core, as it would be necessary for infrastructure to be built up before exploration range could be extended.
Well, that would help restore a bit of sanity. Still, though, 500ly in an hour is pretty crazy. I assume this is by convoying/chaining together hyperspace jumps? Has E:D nicked Oolite's idea of using other people's wormholes?
kanthoney
Commodore
Commodore

Post by kanthoney »

Disembodied wrote:
Still, though, 500ly in an hour is pretty crazy. I assume this is by convoying/chaining together hyperspace jumps? Has E:D nicked Oolite's idea of using other people's wormholes?
No, just fuel scooping. You drop out next to the star, so it's easy to quickly scoop and jump to the next. You have to be slightly careful because you can't scoop from brown dwarfs (unless you can do that with an upgraded fuel scoop?), so if there's a lot of those about you need to pick your way carefully.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

kanthoney wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
Still, though, 500ly in an hour is pretty crazy. I assume this is by convoying/chaining together hyperspace jumps? Has E:D nicked Oolite's idea of using other people's wormholes?
No, just fuel scooping. You drop out next to the star, so it's easy to quickly scoop and jump to the next. You have to be slightly careful because you can't scoop from brown dwarfs (unless you can do that with an upgraded fuel scoop?), so if there's a lot of those about you need to pick your way carefully.
OK, ta ... I don't know if that's better or worse. Worse, I think! It just seems to shrink everything right down. If it's possible to make a 1,000ly round-trip in an evening, then nowhere is really all that far away. It's all getting a bit Father Ted ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS12p0Zqlt0
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS12p0Zqlt0

One of the funniest moments ever lol! :lol:

I'm also disappointed there were no Thargoids. Obviously they haven't been introduced yet but hopefully soon...

Fatleaf

Post by Fatleaf »

Diziet Sma wrote:
... Zulu Romeo ...we're expecting FD to implement service intervals on the jump-drive before long, possibly as low as 1000ly.. and that would seriously slow things down, to the point it could well take years to reach the core...
So if they implement this within a day or two he could well be stuck out there all by himself with not much to do for a very long time with nobody or any place to do any maintenance?

Press Space Commander :lol: