Screenshots

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
ClymAngus wrote:
I was working on an idea regarding this. Armour sub-entities and a "damaged" model. Basically The sub entities hide a compromised model and/or damage texture. By blowing off the "good" sub-entity panels so the compromised model/texture is revealed.

I was going to be proto-typing this on my next collaboration. (Mr Wyvern permitting).
What a very "neat" idea - I like!
It works well. I had a play with something like this for TCAT (a mine with ablative armour shielding) and the effect does look good there (the mine was surrounded by 4 rotating armoured spheres of increasing diameter).

The mine itself has now been junked, but the concept works well. Will be interesting to see on a ship.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Thargoid wrote:
DaddyHoggy wrote:
ClymAngus wrote:
I was working on an idea regarding this. Armour sub-entities and a "damaged" model. Basically The sub entities hide a compromised model and/or damage texture. By blowing off the "good" sub-entity panels so the compromised model/texture is revealed.

I was going to be proto-typing this on my next collaboration. (Mr Wyvern permitting).
What a very "neat" idea - I like!
It works well. I had a play with something like this for TCAT (a mine with ablative armour shielding) and the effect does look good there (the mine was surrounded by 4 rotating armoured spheres of increasing diameter).
The mine itself has now been junked, but the concept works well. Will be interesting to see on a ship.
Well it's a principle checker really. I intended taking the idea to a really dumb level. Giving the players something to fight for a change instead of making life easier with ober ships.
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: ..

Post by Zieman »

Lestradae wrote:
Nice. I hope this is from an upcoming release, yes? :D

Cheers

L
Spot on! :)
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

ClymAngus wrote:
Well it's a principle checker really. I intended taking the idea to a really dumb level. Giving the players something to fight for a change instead of making life easier with ober ships.
Oddly enough just what TCAT will provide ;)

The idea should work very well for a suitable NPC ship, and would look very nice. Maybe not even with the damaged model, just as ablative armour to make a suitably tough "boss" ship?
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

As it has (not yet) been called dog-ugly, I post my (unsuccessful :( ) attempt at an Oolite Extended screensaver here:

Have mercy, this is my first attempt at all to cobble something graphical together and is, as can be seen, a rip-off of collages of others.

Enjoy :?: :!: :?

L
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Lestradae wrote:
As it has (not yet) been called dog-ugly, I post my (unsuccessful :( ) attempt at an Oolite Extended screensaver here:
Since you’re actually fishing for it: it’s dog-ugly.

There’s no theme, no cohesion, no focus. It’s just a bunch of stuff arranged randomly. It has no style or purpose.

To make it not dog-ugly, I’d suggest selecting a focus – the title – and emphasising it with one dramatic composition. Additional vignettes could be added surrounding the main scene.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Ahruman wrote:
Lestradae wrote:
Since you’re actually fishing for it: it’s dog-ugly.

There’s no theme, no cohesion, no focus. It’s just a bunch of stuff arranged randomly. It has no style or purpose.

To make it not dog-ugly, I’d suggest selecting a focus – the title – and emphasising it with one dramatic composition. Additional vignettes could be added surrounding the main scene.
Well I do not agree. I quite like it.

EDIT: But indeed too cluttered.
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I agree with Ahruman - it's horrible. Cluttered and messy and incoherent. Some screenshots have HUDs on and some don't, so the source material you've used is inconsistent.

And it's not a screensaver. It's a wallpaper. A screensaver is an animated program originally designed to prevent screen burn.

Sorry. And that's me being merciful. :-(
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Well, I do agree with Ahruman. It is cluttered and lacks focus, and doesn't come across as a splash screen, but as a random collection of screenshots, most of which would be better off without the HUD display enabled. Another thing, just to explain what lack of focus means: If the collection is supposed to present ships, it should do that and present ships, and not random screenshots, on some of which a trumble got in the way. It has nothing to do with the ships (or screens) presented.

Sorry to say that, but for me it is just another example that the "put everything together in one, big lump"-philosophy is a deeply wrong approach, and completely fails to create anything of beauty.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Well, it's my very first attempt ...

People seem to either like it at best, or hate it at sight. Common criticism denominator seems to be "too many too different things too cobbled together".

The idea to have a focus on it with one main purpose pic and vignettes surrounding that central area sounds good.

If I get the urge to try again, I'll probably attempt going down this route.
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

One thing I would suggest is that if you're going to put in images that have been shrunk down from bigger shots where some of the object(s) are cut off by the original screen edge then at least try and arrange your shots in an aesthetically pleasing manner, ie: the planet in the bottom left of your screen could have been cut (on the right hand side) by a better placed shot the the Battlestar (this is still a bad example (as it includes a trumble!) - but indicates my point I hope). The one shot of one ship which has a blue (atmospheric? literally) background sticks out as inconsistent like the proverbial sore thumb.

I won't be more critical than that - others seem to have done that in spades.
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

A Griff Coriolis in orbit around Zageuser (G2). Out of the upcoming 'Worlds of Galaxy 2'. for Famous Planets 2.0.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

really nice atmosphere effect there! 8) Is that part of the texture or the normal native engine adding a cloud layer?
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

LittleBear wrote:
really nice atmosphere effect there! 8) Is that part of the texture or the normal native engine adding a cloud layer?
Part of the texture. 8)
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

A tribute too Griff,

I wish I had one in Oolite :D