Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

BGS - The BackgroundSet

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Captain Beatnik
Deadly
Deadly

Re: BGS - The BackgroundSet

Post by Captain Beatnik »

Excellent work! This OXP is on top of my personal "must-have-list" of OXP´s!
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
(Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001)
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Thanks folks .-)

*grins* yeah, the effect is not that bad - maybe Oolite itself could use something along this line after the feature freeze...?

@DaddyHoggy: Yep. We have used one file of it. It's the one with the high frequency noise in the background (we thought that not all ships would be in short range or some ships would come in in best condition after a 'meeting' with some Green Geckos). I've completely forgotten to mention it - darn - will upload a fixed version... dummdidumm...

And if I'm at it... then I can fix a bug .-) Seems I've - again - forgotten to check interstellar space more intensive. Argh!
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

Svengali wrote:
Thanks folks .-)

*grins* yeah, the effect is not that bad - maybe Oolite itself could use something along this line after the feature freeze...?

@DaddyHoggy: Yep. We have used one file of it. It's the one with the high frequency noise in the background (we thought that not all ships would be in short range or some ships would come in in best condition after a 'meeting' with some Green Geckos). I've completely forgotten to mention it - darn - will upload a fixed version... dummdidumm...

And if I'm at it... then I can fix a bug .-) Seems I've - again - forgotten to check interstellar space more intensive. Argh!
No need for that - I was just hoping it proved useful - and there were a lot of files to go through...
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

v1.3.5 (BGS-A and BGS-M) is online.

Changes:
- Bugfix for interstellar space.
DaddyHoggy wrote:
No need for that - I was just hoping it proved useful - and there were a lot of files to go through...
A contribution is a contribution and needs to be mentioned - I only can say apogs for my fuzzy brain, DaddyHoggy. Additionally the bugfix for BGS-A and BGS-M was necessary to avoid errors.
JD
Deadly
Deadly

Post by JD »

That new hyperspace effect is almost scary. Of the 3 BGS sets I previously just had BGS-I installed, but M just became a must-have.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

wow! fantastic stuff! The hyperspace effect is brilliantly done!
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Yep Svengali. Brilliant Hyperspace effect!
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

I'm impressed, Very impressed in fact. The effects are brilliant.
Could someone post a recipe on how to make the old hyperspace effect go away, permanently please. AC posted that you could change the colours to black.
Is it possible to do this or something else to make the vanilla hyperspace disappear in an OXP, then the process would be cleaner. I like to keep my tweaks in OXP's if at all possible.
If not, what values do I need to change in planetinfo.plist to adjust the colours.

Well done on this one, and thank you very much.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Gimi wrote:
I'm impressed, Very impressed in fact. The effects are brilliant.
Could someone post a recipe on how to make the old hyperspace effect go away, permanently please. AC posted that you could change the colours to black.
Is it possible to do this or something else to make the vanilla hyperspace disappear in an OXP, then the process would be cleaner. I like to keep my tweaks in OXP's if at all possible.
If not, what values do I need to change in planetinfo.plist to adjust the colours.

Well done on this one, and thank you very much.
Yes there is a way to get rid of the vanilla hyperspace effect, I think BGS will adopt that approach later but a temporary solution is Here.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Okti wrote:
Yes there is a way to get rid of the vanilla hyperspace effect, I think BGS will adopt that approach later but a temporary solution is Here.
Thank you Okti, that was fast indeed. (Or did you have it ready before I asked?)
I hope BGS gives us this option in the next release. (boolean value (default to true) perhaps.)
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Gimi wrote:
Thank you Okti, that was fast indeed. (Or did you have it ready before I asked?)
The guild of test pilots already had that little tweak, yes... 'Skunkworks' works.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

El Viejo wrote:
Gimi wrote:
The guild of test pilots already had that little tweak, yes... 'Skunkworks' works.
I see, nice. Tested and it works (I expected no less).
Had a look at the script, and if I understand this correctly he has just moved the player ship ahead 1500 something effectively moving it in front of the vanilla hyperspace tunnel. (Or am I wrong here). From that I assume that the original hyperspace tunnel is in fact an entity/model put in front of the ship upon entry/exit.

If I am correct, I have just impressed myself.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

That is the case Gimi.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Okti wrote:
That is the case Gimi.
In that case, since standard ship models can be replaced by OXP's, I assume this model can as well. Is there anything preventing someone from making a nice model of the inside of the docking port with, shaders and the lot, and using this to improve the effects of docking and launching from the station. Further, it should be possible to make custom docking sequences for other dockable objects, or am I wrong here. Just my imagination going for a quick run.

Maybe an idea for the next version of BGS.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Gimi wrote:
Okti wrote:
That is the case Gimi.
In that case, since standard ship models can be replaced by OXP's, I assume this model can as well. Is there anything preventing someone from making a nice model of the inside of the docking port with, shaders and the lot, and using this to improve the effects of docking and launching from the station. Further, it should be possible to make custom docking sequences for other dockable objects, or am I wrong here. Just my imagination going for a quick run.
Up until 1.74 the rings were in fact a model in Oolite that could be replaced. Actually it was just one ring that the engine placed in different enlargements.
But, since 1.75 the rings are generate differently and is no longer a model like the normal ships. So it will not be possible to change them by adding a different model or by adding shaders to a texture.

btw, those nice effect of the BGS is only there when using shaders. When switching of you don't see anything at all except the normal rings. That might also give a problem when generally removing the rings by the oxp as than the shader-less people won't see a jump effect at all.